2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

What will those holes 2-3 years out be?  Because that is when a non-top 10 pick will be making the squad in all likelihood.

This team still has an immediate need for a top 4 D-man.  But there are now a plethora of prospects that are that far off.

LW went from a serious weekness to a potential strength, especially if Olafsson & Nylander can actually play at this level.

C now looks shallow if Eichel or Mittelstadt get injured.  Probably should draft for that &/or D unless there is a stud winger that they can't believe dropped to them.  Aka, going after the BPA. ?

Center position players are almost all small....5'6"-5'11" and 160ish lbs

8 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

While that is possible.  We have exactly 0 instances of him playing C in the NHL to date and looking like a top 2 C to base that belief upon.  We have ~100 games demonstrating that he IS a 2RW and very possibly a 1RW at his ceiling.

We also, have essentially 0 instances of Mittelstadt doing so either.  But his sample size is only 6 games.  Seriously considered adding the caveat that if Mittelstadt doesn't pan out, C depth at the top is an issue.  But figured, simply for generalizing that Botterill WILL be looking to select BPAin the upcoming draft that having a contingency plan in place for his potentially suffering a major injury was enough of a reality downer.  :lol:

And, hopefully Reinhart can be a legit 2C.  IF he can, the team has the ability to do much more line juggling to get exploitable matchups than they do with only 1 or 2 guys that can legitimately fill that role.  Botterill wants to follow the Pittsburgh (or even the Chicago) model - that would make it a much easier blueprint to follow.

3 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Center position players are almost all small....5'6"-5'11" and 160ish lbs

Really?

You might want to see what Malkin and Thornton think about that.  (And the list is far longer than that.  Just look back at the Sabres for far more examples.)

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Really?

You might want to see what Malkin and Thornton think about that.  (And the list is far longer than that.  Just look back at the Sabres for far more examples.)

Not sure what you're trying to say here

I was referring to the centers in the draft next year if that clears things up for you...

Jack Hughes 5'10"/152lbs is the projected #1 pick

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

While that is possible.  We have exactly 0 instances of him playing C in the NHL to date and looking like a top 2 C to base that belief upon.  We have ~100 games demonstrating that he IS a 2RW and very possibly a 1RW at his ceiling.

This is true, but I'm going to keep saying this: 2018 was a Reinhart we've never seen before. We've never seen 2018 Reinhart at center. It is intriguing to think about.

20 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Not sure what you're trying to say here

I was referring to the centers in the draft next year if that clears things up for you...

Jack Hughes 5'10"/152lbs is the projected #1 pick

That was not remotely obvious from what you'd written.

Thanks for the clarification.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:12 PM, Taro T said:

What will those holes 2-3 years out be?  Because that is when a non-top 10 pick will be making the squad in all likelihood.

This team still has an immediate need for a top 4 D-man.  But there are now a plethora of prospects that are that far off.

LW went from a serious weekness to a potential strength, especially if Olafsson & Nylander can actually play at this level.

C now looks shallow if Eichel or Mittelstadt get injured.  Probably should draft for that &/or D unless there is a stud winger that they can't believe dropped to them.  Aka, going after the BPA. ?

This was what i responded to.....sorry, should have highlighted it before.

On 8/14/2018 at 12:54 PM, dudacek said:

The Leafs top 10, 23 and under, according to Pronman

Auston Matthews, C

Mitch Marner, RW

William Nylander, C

Kasperi Kapanen, RW

Timothy Liljegren, D

Travis Dermott, D

Andreas Johnsson, LW

Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, C

Jeremy Bracco, RW

Carl Grundstrom, LW

The Sabres, according to me

Eichel

Dahlin

Mittelstadt

Reinhart

Ristolainen

Thompson

Nylander

Guhle

Asplund

Davidsson

How do we stack up?

As others have said, not as well in the bottom 5 as of now, but I think our top 5 is better, and that matters more. 

Matthews = Eichel

Marner < Dahlin

Nylander = Mittelstadt (I think Casey becomes at least as good)

Kapanen < Reinhart

Liljegren < Ristolainen

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

@GASabresIUFAN just read where Pronman shares your opinion on Samuelsson. He said after the draft he talked to Buffalo to see what he was missing. They failed to convince him that he was worth the picked they used to take him.

I have nothing against Samuelsson and actually like the pick.  We need more tough on our team and he has it.  I just think he needs work on certain parts of his game to earn his slot on the Sabres long-term.  I actually believe that he'll do the necessary work to accomplish that goal.  

I also think he's behind Dahlin, Pilut Guhle and even Borgen in the pecking order right now.  Of those 5 (including Samuelsson) he is the only one that has no chance of playing for the Sabres this season or earning a permanent job in Buffalo in 2019-20.  His upside is the same 2nd line status as Guhle, Pilut and Borgen. 

By the way, I expect Matt to have a solid year in college, but I expect him to play for W Mich for at least 2 years before making the jump to the AHL.  That puts his arrival in Buffalo, after at least 1 year in the AHL, in 2021-22. 

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I should add. I don't hate the pick of Samuelsson and I am not cheering against him. I just think there were other better options at that spot. He needs to work on his agility and quickness or he might not make it. 

I think he has a pretty high floor.  I think he has a better chance of being a Sabre than most 2nd round picks.  I just don't know if he will ever be good enough to be a defensively responsible partner to play with a guy like Dahlin on the top pairing or he will fit the McCabe roll of a bottom pairing guy.

43 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I think he has a pretty high floor.  I think he has a better chance of being a Sabre than most 2nd round picks.  I just don't know if he will ever be good enough to be a defensively responsible partner to play with a guy like Dahlin on the top pairing or he will fit the McCabe roll of a bottom pairing guy.

I think by the time Samuelsson is ready, all Dahlin will need as a partner is a warm body, and he'll do the rest ?

I think we don't even realize what we're about to get with young Rasmus. This is going to be an exciting year.

1 hour ago, Derrico said:

I think his floor is AHL minute eater. He should be a 3rd pairing guy hopefully. I think at best he's a #3 on a decent team. His agility and footwork worry me. 

36 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I think by the time Samuelsson is ready, all Dahlin will need as a partner is a warm body, and he'll do the rest ?

I think we don't even realize what we're about to get with young Rasmus. This is going to be an exciting year.

The hype train on Rasmus has been surprisingly quiet. Everybody loves him and has high hopes long-term, but it seems like the expectations for this year are that he will have the impact of Noah Hanifin.

11 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The hype train on Rasmus has been surprisingly quiet. Everybody loves him and has high hopes long-term, but it seems like the expectations for this year are that he will have the impact of Noah Hanifin.

I think it's been tempered by the expectations we put on Eichel early in his career, and the lack of team improvement. While I think Eichel is our franchise-center and can be a top-5 scorer in the league, Dahlin truly is a generational defensive talent.

On 8/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Apparently Casey and Rasmus . ..... Asplund will be the two Sabres participating in an NHLPA Rookie Showcase in Toronto Aug 26th.

They got their Rasmi mixed up twice actually.  You can imagine how confused Ristolainen was initially when he got that invite.

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

2016 4th round pick Brett Murray has left Penn State, and other NCAA comings and goings:  https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-draft-pick-murray-leaves-penn-state

Likely going to Oshawa in the OHL.  Apparently Hurley is M.I.A and Willman has transfered to BC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.