2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

I have decided not to give up on Nylander.  This is his 20 year old season, the year most kids move up from the CHL.  

I am tempering my expectations, but look at what Erod has done the last two years.

Erod established himself as an NHL regular last season at 24 and as a top 9 forward who does everything this season at 25.  Pommers didn’t find his stride until 21 and didn’t make the NHL as a regular until 1/4 of the way into his 23 year old season.  All he’s done is score 292 goals, 724 pts in 1048 games.

We know Nylander has a good work ethic and talent.  We need to stop comparing him to his brother and let things happen in their own time.

I generally agree with @GASabresIUFAN, but would just add that I'm not sure when Nylander's waivers/contract situation will force the Sabres to make a decision on him.  Until then, I don't see any reason to unload him -- although if someone wants him in trade as part of a package for a good player, I'm fine with that too.

I will be surprised if Nylander ever lives up to his draft status and only have the faintest hope he will be in the NHL.

His training camp really boosted my hope quotient for him, and I had my fingers crossed he would emerge in the second half as a force in Rochester and slingshot off of that into a role with the big club next year.

But that just hasn’t happened. He had a solid first half, then stopped producing around Christmas. He’s been better lately and there is still the possibility of lighting it up down the stretch and into the playoffs, but his production is less than what Bailey and Baptiste were doing at this age.

Freeman’s right in the sense that they have two more seasons after this to keep developing him, although I’m not sure how he fits into the expansion draft picture. 

His becoming a 2nd-line winger would a huge win for our development team and really change what this team will have to do moving forward. And I still think his skill and hockey sense is most likely to emerge on a top line, playing with someone like Eichel.

But it’s probably just a fool’s hope.

Edited by dudacek

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree with @GASabresIUFAN, but would just add that I'm not sure when Nylander's waivers/contract situation will force the Sabres to make a decision on him.  Until then, I don't see any reason to unload him -- although if someone wants him in trade as part of a package for a good player, I'm fine with that too.

Nylander is actually under contract for two more years.  I’m also perfectly fine with using him in a trade package.  I don’t think Jbot will let him be lost in expansion.  He’ll trade him first.  

I can see him blossoming next season as he becomes more of a go to player for the Amerks.  Olofsson will likely be on the Sabres.  O’Regan likely will move on as well.  I can see a top line of Smith Asplund and Nylander.  That might be his best chance to take a Pominville type jump in his development.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on this Laaksonen it appears that his two year extension would not prohibit him from coming to North America sooner.

He is listed at 6’2” 165 lbs though, he needs to add weight prior to coming to North America, he maybe Rochester for the 2020-21 Season. 

Hockey New Future Watch rankings are out. Just two Sabres in the top 100.

Nylander is 54, down from 13 last year. UPL is 21, the top-ranked goalie prospect in the world.

Rankings are compiled by polling NHL executives.

Our top 10 in order:

Luukkonen

Nylander

Samuelsson

Asplund

Davidsson

Borgen

Olofsson

Laaksonen

Pekar

Smith

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hockey New Future Watch rankings are out. Just two Sabres in the top 100.

Nylander is 54, down from 13 last year. UPL is 21, the top-ranked goalie prospect in the world.

Rankings are compiled by polling NHL executives.

Our top 10 in order:

Luukkonen

Nylander

Samuelsson

Asplund

Davidsson

Borgen

Olofsson

Laaksonen

Pekar

Smith

Is Mittlestadt not considered a prospect?  

Just now, dudacek said:

Not according to their criteria, which is basically "looks like he's made the NHL."

Ugh. Well he shouldn't be there anyway. I'm more disappointed with how they've handled him than how this season has progressed. The org needed him to blossom and they may have killed the seedling. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, inkman said:

Ugh. Well he shouldn't be there anyway. I'm more disappointed with how they've handled him than how this season has progressed. The org needed him to blossom and they may have killed the seedling. 

I think he's been looking very much the frustrated teenager recently. (I know he's turned 20).

Be really interesting to see what he does with his summer, how he's been shaped by adversity. He's had some growing up to do.

I'm glad he's tight with Rasmus, because you know Rasmus will be going hard.

19 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Based on this Laaksonen it appears that his two year extension would not prohibit him from coming to North America sooner.

He is listed at 6’2” 165 lbs though, he needs to add weight prior to coming to North America, he maybe Rochester for the 2020-21 Season. 

He looks like he'll be comfortable in Sabre colors.  Clean off all the ads and he's good to go.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's almost like when I told everyone for months the prospect pool was a bare cupboard and we needed to use picks to restock it I wasn't wrong. 

Not bare, but the stock other than top end from past drafts is still developing and more potential picks need to be infused.

The pipeline isn’t bare except top end players.  Mostly, as it should be, it’s developing 2nd and 3rd rd players some of which should become depth NHL players.  

Right now we have 10 relevant draftees from the last 5 drafts.

2nd rounders: Samuelsson, Davidsson, UPL and Asplund.  UPL may be the only star, but Samuelsson and Asplund look to have NHL futures

3rd & 4th rounders: Laaksonen, Pekar, Bryson and Borgen.  Borgen is going to get a shot soon, Laaksonen looks like an NHLer someday.

5th rd Plus:  Weissbach and Olofsson:  2 small speedy 7th rd forwards. Olofsson may get his shot next year.

Note: all 5 1st rd picks from those 5 drafts are currently on the Sabres.  2 traded former 2nd rd picks, Lemieux and Guhle, are in the NHL or knocking on the door. Also we have two draftees, Hickey (3rd rd 2014 - 64th - Calg) and Doughterty (2nd rd 2014 - 51st Nash) from other organizations plus FA Pilut, 23.

I agree that we need more bodies in the system.  If we end up with the SJ pick instead of the St Louis pick, I wouldn’t mind Jbot trading down two get 2 2nds for that pick in order to help re-stock our pipeline.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The pipeline isn’t bare except top end players.  Mostly, as it should be, it’s developing 2nd and 3rd rd players some of which should become depth NHL players.  

Right now we have 10 relevant draftees from the last 5 drafts.

2nd rounders: Samuelsson, Davidsson, UPL and Asplund.  UPL may be the only star, but Samuelsson and Asplund look to have NHL futures

3rd & 4th rounders: Laaksonen, Pekar, Bryson and Borgen.  Borgen is going to get a shot soon, Laaksonen looks like an NHLer someday.

5th rd Plus:  Weissbach and Olofsson:  2 small speedy 7th rd forwards. Olofsson may get his shot next year.

Note: all 5 1st rd picks from those 5 drafts are currently on the Sabres.  2 traded former 2nd rd picks, Lemieux and Guhle, are in the NHL or knocking on the door. Also we have two draftees, Hickey (3rd rd 2014 - 64th - Calg) and Doughterty (2nd rd 2014 - 51st Nash) from other organizations plus FA Pilut, 23.

I agree that we need more bodies in the system.  If we end up with the SJ pick instead of the St Louis pick, I wouldn’t mind Jbot trading down two get 2 2nds for that pick in order to help re-stock our pipeline.

I would. This isn't the NFL draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh I dont get it either?

Not my opinion, but an answer to your question: the scouting community loves his shot but isn’t convinced he will be able to unleash it in the NHL. He’s small and weak, and his quickness, battle and hockey sense aren’t good enough to compensate.

And, as GA says, he’s already 23.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Really it depends on where those 2 seconds were. If you are going from 28 to say 35 and 45... sure but if it was 28 to 50 and 58... no. 

My drat picks chart says the 28th pick is worth about 15.6 points.  https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

If we can get a pick from 31 to 35 (picks 35 is worth 11.31), then the second pick should be in the 50 to 55 range.

I also wouldn't mind trading the 1st for a 2nd this season and a 2nd rd pick from last year's draft.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.