2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

On 1/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, dudacek said:

Article on Nylander in the Athletic where Taylor once again is saying good things about his growth and maturity; says he is becoming a leader. Also says the Sabres don’t plan on bringing him up until they think he’s ready to stay.

27pts in 51gp last season, 24pts in 42gp this season

He' just not good enough

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

I may be very wrong on this, but for some reason I think Nylander will perform BETTER as an NHL player vs. AHL.  No basis or proof in any way, just merely a hunch.

Again, I may be ridiculously wrong on this.

History doesn’t support your feeling, but who am I to crush someone’s hope.

After seeing Jack Daugherty’s numbers in Rochester, I was curious about his future here and about the other guys we have from that 2014 draft. I looked up Central Scouting’s final NA rankings from that year and they were interesting. 

Reinhart - Rank 3 - draft 2 - top line NHL player

Cornel - Rank 25 - draft 44 - bust

Brycen Martin - Rank 26 - draft 74 - bust

Lemieux - Rank 28 - draft 31 - in the NHL

Daugherty - Rank 30 - draft 51 - still a prospect

Point - Rank 31 - draft 79 - NHL star (an FYI)

Karabacek - Rank 41 - draft 49 - Bust 

Hickey - Rank 63 - draft 64 - Marginal prospect

Montour - Rank 92 - draft 55 - very good NHL Player

This is not a shot at TM, but just an illustration of how much a crap shoot the draft really is. 

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

After seeing Jack Daugherty’s numbers in Rochester, I was curious about his future here and about the other guys we have from that 2014 draft. I looked up Central Scouting’s final NA rankings from that year and they were interesting. 

This is not a shot at TM, but just an illustration of how much a crap shoot the draft really is. 

My God that's depressing. 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree but it was the only rankings with more then 30 that popped up when I did a quick search.

I should have added you're right about murray failing at drafts. I think however the first 2 rounds of the draft should not be viewed as a crap shoot if your team is good at drafting

Edited by LGR4GM

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Central scouting is the Wendy's of scouting. It gives you the basic idea but if you want something good, go elsewhere. 

Much better than the scouting department of all 30 NHL teams when it came to Brayden Point.

That was one sorry second round. Just three players have played 100 NHL games and four more have hit 20 games. Five years after being drafted, 16 of them have yet to play an NHL game.

For the record, Sam Reinhart is 3rd in games played and fourth in points, four back of Dylan Larkin and 7 ahead of Nikolai Ehlers. Draisaitl and Pastrnak are 1-2.

10 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

i agree but 2014 is filled with a bunch of nothing, terrible draft overall.

Edited by dudacek

On 3/1/2019 at 11:51 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a very good and interesting post, but it has to be pointed out that you are really pumping daugherty’s tires to an unnatural degree.  It will be a big Sabrespace win for you if he turns out to be a good player.  

Who are the Sabres top prospects right now as the season winds down?

When I look at the guys in our system I think we are down to 13 guys who may have an NHL future.  

1) UPL - 34-9-2 for Sudbury .918 save % and 2.54 gga.  Was great in the World Jrs.

2) Pilut - 23 pts in 20 AHL games.  Also played 25 games in Buffalo passing Guhle and Baloo on the depth chart - both traded as a result.

3) Laaksonen - 22 pts in 43 gms in Finish Elite league was also solid at the WJrs. 

4) Olofsson - older prospect, but 22g and 48 pts in 1st year in NA is a hopeful sign he can contribute in Buffalo next year.

5) Samuelsson - Clone of his Dad, Kjell, having a solid 1st year in college and at the World Jrs.

6) Nylander - still only 21, but offense still not coming.

7) Borgen - stay at home D has had a respectable 1st yr in the AHL

8.) Asplund - the guy TM had to have got off to a very rough start in the AHL/NA with 1 pt in his first 18 games, but has been better of late 22 pts now in 58 games, but only 3 goals

9) Pekar - putting together a good 1st year in the CHL.  36 pts in 33 games but has had some injuries.  Pesky forward already under contract,

10) Davidsson - hasn’t really shown an statistical improvement this year in Sweden.  

11) Dougherty - Late blooming mobile stay at home D may have finally found his stride as a pro.  His +19 for the Amerks is not a fluke. 

12) Bryson - Captain of Providence College. The small Junior D’s HC just called him the best D he has ever coached.  

13) Weissbach - late rd flyer has continued to improve in college.  Small forward averaging nearly a pt a game.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Per the Athletic, Nylander has 8 goals in 45 games this year, including 1 in his last 19 games.

If he's not officially a washout yet, we can all see it from here.

He has two goals and an assist since turning 21 on Saturday! He’s Back Baby! 

FYI

This post contains a large amount of sarcasm 

42 minutes ago, inkman said:

They should just call him up and see what happens.  Worst case scenario, he proves us right and they move on from him. 

Makes sense.  But wondering if he isn't worth more in trade by NOT getting additional NHL time.  He looked OK when called up last year.  If they don't expect him to have a future here, maybe they keep him down for the Scott Mitchell/Rob Johnson factor.  Each of those guys brought back a haul way bigger than they should've because there was another GM that was sure his coaches could keep them at the level they briefly flashed.  Even though both were not as good as they flashed.

Really doubt Nylander is worth anything at present, but Tim Murray can't be the only Tim Murray out there, right?

Just spitballin'.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

They should just call him up and see what happens.  Worst case scenario, he proves us right and they move on from him. 

That or maybe he shows something unexpected which provides either hope or increases his trade value.  The team is out of the playoffs, so maybe less pressure will make for a better experiment with the big club....kind of like how Mittelstadt showed well late last year when it didn't matter.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Carmel Corn said:

That or maybe he shows something unexpected which provides either hope or increases his trade value.  The team is out of the playoffs, so maybe less pressure will make for a better experiment with the big club....kind of like how Mittelstadt showed well late last year when it didn't matter.

I didn't think Casey showed well late last year, even if he did produce.

Guess I should have put more weight on that.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I didn't think Casey showed well late last year, even if he did produce.

Guess I should have put more weight on that.

I agree.  I seem to recall he was on the recieving end of quite a few secondary assists.

There is nothing wrong with that.  He was part of scoring plays.  But I don't recall him being the primary playmaker either.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.