2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Weave said:

That assessment of Nylander is an excellent reason why we should not expect him to provide an improvement to our roster in a call up.  While improved, he’s still not even the AHL player he should be given his abilities.

Expect? No, we shouldn't expect anything. But Nylander could be one of those players who elevates his game for the pro level. Call him up for a few games and see what happens. What's the worst that occurs? He doesn't score at all and plays terrible defense? Not any different than half of the forwards on this roster.

31 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve said since the beginning of the season that so want to see a steady stream of call ups all year as reward for good play.  

Not going to happen. Botterill is going to let the guys in Rochester marinate and come together.  You'll see them next year in B&G.

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Not going to happen. Botterill is going to let the guys in Rochester marinate and come together.  You'll see them next year in B&G.

This idea that Botterill is going to call up all the promising Amerks players all in a group at the beginning of one season isn't going to happen.

Every training camp it's up to each individual player to try and squeak through. There are few players currently on the Amerks that are long term NHLers. The strength of the Amerks is on D, at least that's what I've understood from looking at the stats and trying to follow on twitter and in the Amerks thread. 

At forward, the ones with a legitimate shot would seem to be Smith, Oloffson, and Nylander. And maybe Asplund down the road. Those first three are their top forwards in scoring, and the 4th in scoring is Danny O'Regan. The likely NHL cutoff is above him, assuredly. 

And Smith, to me, looks like a tweener, maybe he can carve out a depth role. I don't see all of Smith, Oloffson and Nylander coming up at the start of next season. I'm not down on them necessarily as prospects but I'd say it's likely 1 carves out a long term NHL future, just based on the usual odds. 

I mean we are talking someone who went undrafted, a 7th round pick, and a first rounder.

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Now that this season is hanging by a thread he should start looking at these guys.  Leaving them in Rochester is theory but if you want them on Buffalo next season it is worth while to see if any show anything now.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This idea that Botterill is going to call up all the promising Amerks players all in a group at the beginning of one season isn't going to happen.

Every training camp it's up to each individual player to try and squeak through. There are few players currently on the Amerks that are long term NHLers. The strength of the Amerks is on D, at least that's what I've understood from looking at the stats and trying to follow on twitter and in the Amerks thread. 

At forward, the ones with a legitimate shot would seem to be Smith, Oloffson, and Nylander. And maybe Asplund down the road. Those first three are their top forwards in scoring, and the 4th in scoring is Danny O'Regan. The likely NHL cutoff is above him, assuredly. 

And Smith, to me, looks like a tweener, maybe he can carve out a depth role. I don't see all of Smith, Oloffson and Nylander coming up at the start of next season. I'm not down on them necessarily as prospects but I'd say it's likely 1 carves out a long term NHL future.

Tell you what:  Oloffson and Asplund play 20 games for the Sabs next year or I give $25 to your favorite charity.  If I'm wrong, $25 to mine?

And I say this with the utmost respect; I think you're a very knowledgeable and polite poster.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Tell you what:  Oloffson and Asplund play 20 games for the Sabs next year or I give $25 to your favorite charity.  If I'm wrong, $25 to mine?

And I say this with the utmost respect; I think you're a very knowledgeable and polite poster.

Now hey, that's a badge of honor coming from a board stalwart like you.

I don't really ever feel comfortable betting against the Sabres, it's like sand in swim shorts level agitating to me. If Oloffson and Asplund both play 20 next season, I shall donate $25 to your charity of choice. 

Just to put my money where my mouth is if it's proven I was woefully incorrect. I'll make note but you may have to remind me when/if said parameters are met. 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Now hey, that's a badge of honor coming from a board stalwart like you.

I don't really ever feel comfortable betting against the Sabres, it's like sand in swim shorts level agitating to me. If Oloffson and Asplund both play 20 next season, I shall donate $25 to your charity of choice. 

Just to put my money where my mouth is if it's proven I was woefully incorrect. I'll make note but you may have to remind me when/if said parameters are met. 

As if you weren't a stalwart yourself.

And we've got a deal.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Now that this season is hanging by a thread he should start looking at these guys.  Leaving them in Rochester is theory but if you want them on Buffalo next season it is worth while to see if any show anything now.

They will get their chance in Buffalo, but unfortunately it will probably not be until after the trade deadline when there is no roster limits. 

Also Botterill is hell bent on a winning team in Rochester this year, figure out a way to get Mittelstadt and Thompson Eligible for the AHL Playoffs. 

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

They will get their chance in Buffalo, but unfortunately it will probably not be until after the trade deadline when there is no roster limits. 

Also Botterill is hell bent on a winning team in Rochester this year, figure out a way to get Mittelstadt and Thompson Eligible for the AHL Playoffs. 

I'd like to think they'd be down there now to be a part of the team and growing with the group. I hope they aren't just plopped onto the team right before the playoffs.  That should be around the time the Sabres are fighting for their playoff spot. 

The don't have the roster flexibility right now to call anyone up.  As long as the want to keep a stiff like Hunwick around to avoid losing a draft pick, they'll never have the open roster slot.  In order to make that space, they have two options:

1. Waive someone.
2. Send down one of the non-waiver eligible guys

They have no shown any signs of being the least bit interested in either of these options.  As long as they insist on carrying 8 defenseman thanks to Hunkwick, you can forget about one of those forwards getting their shot.  They're not going to waive Elie no matter how rarely they use him and they're not going to send down either Thompson or Mittelstadt.  The most likely move, one that people around here would hate would be to send Pilut back down.

So that leaves the Amerks with one avenue for a recall... injuries.

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

The don't have the roster flexibility right now to call anyone up.  As long as the want to keep a stiff like Hunwick around to avoid losing a draft pick, they'll never have the open roster slot.  In order to make that space, they have two options:

1. Waive someone.
2. Send down one of the non-waiver eligible guys

They have no shown any signs of being the least bit interested in either of these options.  As long as they insist on carrying 8 defenseman thanks to Hunkwick, you can forget about one of those forwards getting their shot.  They're not going to waive Elie no matter how rarely they use him and they're not going to send down either Thompson or Mittelstadt.  The most likely move, one that people around here would hate would be to send Pilut back down.

So that leaves the Amerks with one avenue for a recall... injuries.

I tend to agree, but the not waiving of Elie makes no sense.  Why keep him here?  Once Wilson is healthy and back in game shape Elie needs to get waived at the very least.  I'd also trade Baloo if they are keeping Pilut in Buffalo.  Guhle adds just as much as Baloo if an injury strikes.  

Right now I'd trade Baloo and waive Elie to get roster flexibility and to add an asset for Baloo.  Maybe Baloo and a draft pick can be used to get the center we so desperately need.  

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I tend to agree, but the not waiving of Elie makes no sense.  Why keep him here?  Once Wilson is healthy and back in game shape Elie needs to get waived at the very least.  I'd also trade Baloo if they are keeping Pilut in Buffalo.  Guhle adds just as much as Baloo if an injury strikes.  

Right now I'd trade Baloo and waive Elie to get roster flexibility and to add an asset for Baloo.  Maybe Baloo and a draft pick can be used to get the center we so desperately need.  

I'm on board for pretty much all of this, except I'm not moving Beaulieu.  We all still have nightmares of a lack of D depth during the playoffs.  The only way they get to the point of moving someone like him is if they're writing off the season.  But it really doesn't matter though as I don't believe for a second they'll do any of this.

Wilson probably is the one wild card for replacing Elie though.  But then again, he's already cleared waivers, so there's no rush there.  If I'm moving Elie, I'd rather use that to give a kid or two a shot, but again, I just don't believe it will happen.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'm on board for pretty much all of this, except I'm not moving Beaulieu.  We all still have nightmares of a lack of D depth during the playoffs.  The only way they get to the point of moving someone like him is if they're writing off the season.  But it really doesn't matter though as I don't believe for a second they'll do any of this.

Wilson probably is the one wild card for replacing Elie though.  But then again, he's already cleared waivers, so there's no rush there.  If I'm moving Elie, I'd rather use that to give a kid or two a shot, but again, I just don't believe it will happen.

The Sabres are 8 deep on D with or without Baloo.  Hunwick is still here, Guhle is available to recall.  Nelson will also return from injury at some point.  Also this team isn't making the playoffs.  Sorry.  You also have to give to get.  Right now our crushing need is at center.  Moving on from Baloo, who can't even stay in our lineup, is pretty much a no brainer.  Why pay 2.4 to a guy who can't break your top 6 and is likely the 8th guy once Nelson gets back from injury.  

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres are 8 deep on D with or without Baloo.  Hunwick is still here, Guhle is available to recall.  Nelson will also return from injury at some point.  Also this team isn't making the playoffs.  Sorry.  You also have to give to get.  Right now our crushing need is at center.  Moving on from Baloo, who can't even stay in our lineup, is pretty much a no brainer.  Why pay 2.4 to a guy who can't break your top 6 and is likely the 8th guy once Nelson gets back from injury.  

Unless the right deal comes thru say a 2nd or two for Baloo Id hold him right up to trade deadline just saying certain potential playoff teams are gonna be looking for D

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Whether or not the team makes the playoffs and whether or not the team thinks they can make the playoffs... those are two very different things

Pronman just released his list of players that just missed the cut of being in his Midseason Prospect Rankings.

Oskari Laaksonen, D, Buffalo

Previous ranking: NR

Laaksonen continues to rise for me. He’s been great in Liiga this season, logging huge minutes, and was quite good for Finland’s U20 team. He’s a great skater who moves the puck well, has skill and can make things happen on the ice while being solid defensively. He’s a little too much of a gambler at times and that’s the one area, being his risk management, that I’d like to see him tweak before I move him into the next echelon of prospects.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Pronman just released his list of players that just missed the cut of being in his Midseason Prospect Rankings.

Oskari Laaksonen, D, Buffalo

Previous ranking: NR

Laaksonen continues to rise for me. He’s been great in Liiga this season, logging huge minutes, and was quite good for Finland’s U20 team. He’s a great skater who moves the puck well, has skill and can make things happen on the ice while being solid defensively. He’s a little too much of a gambler at times and that’s the one area, being his risk management, that I’d like to see him tweak before I move him into the next echelon of prospects.

I was kind of surprised he didn’t make the initial list.  Imagine when he add another 25 lbs to that frame.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/19/2019 at 11:17 AM, dudacek said:

Article on Nylander in the Athletic where Taylor once again is saying good things about his growth and maturity; says he is becoming a leader. Also says the Sabres don’t plan on bringing him up until they think he’s ready to stay.

This matches eye witness reports

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.