2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

53 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Ok, I’ll concede that people were talking about Housley. Who else interviewed him? The major point, however, is why did JBOT choose him? Even a cursory interview would have revealed he has no grasp of the information available to him. The sport is on the verge of technological epiphany and there is no evidence that he even knows whose playing well during a period. 

The ROR thing is debatable but the bottom line is the return leaves a lot to be desired. In his case, I have to believe a better coach handles that situation better.

As for the AHL, it’s all anecdotal evidence. There is no real way of knowing why someone gets better over time. Maybe they were that hood all along and just needed a chance. Maybe they just matured. Maybe there were reasons that Girgerenko cane with all those red flags and he was destined for failure no matter how he was handled.

finally, I believe history will look back on GMTM much better.

Buffalo and Florida were the openings and nobody could talk to Housley until the Preds were eliminated.

Stars, Kings, and Canucks all fired their coaches at the end of the season too, the latter two hiring from within, the Stars bringing back Hitchcock. Vegas also hired Gallant. All of those hirings happened in April.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Buffalo and Florida were the openings and nobody could talk to Housley until the Preds were eliminated.

Stars, Kings, and Canucks all fired their coaches at the end of the season too, the latter two hiring from within, the Stars bringing back Hitchcock. Vegas also hired Gallant. All of those hirings happened in April.

And Housley and Boughner now on chopping block.

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

And Housley and Boughner now on chopping block.

Often happens with even the best young coaches on their first gig.  The coaches that win Cups are often on their 2nd or 3rd HC gig.  DB was the only coach in recent history to win the Cup during his 1st NHL coaching job.  

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

About what I’d expect.

Seriously Tom, did you get better at your job because you were older or because you learned how to do your job better with experience and proper mentorship. I’ve been in my current job for 23 years.  I learn things that help me do my job better all the time.  

Nylander and Olofsson are clearly better at both ends of the ice from the start of the season.  The reports on Olofsson for example early in the year was that he wasn’t coming back on defense.  The player I saw the other night was charging on both ends of the ice.  This is improvement.  

Go look at the stats on Miller, Pommers, and Roy.  They improved each year in the minors and continued that improvement early in their NHL careers.  Sure maturity played into it, but  experience and coaching had more to do with that growth then getting older.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Seriously Tom, did you get better at your job because you were older or because you learned how to do your job better with experience and proper mentorship. I’ve been in my current job for 23 years.  I learn things that help me do my job better all the time.  

Nylander and Olofsson are clearly better at both ends of the ice from the start of the season.  The reports on Olofsson for example early in the year was that he wasn’t coming back on defense.  The player I saw the other night was charging on both ends of the ice.  This is improvement.  

Go look at the stats on Miller, Pommers, and Roy.  They improved each year in the minors and continued that improvement early in their NHL careers.  Sure maturity played into it, but  experience and coaching had more to do with that growth then getting older.

They could have gotten the same experience up here. Would the Sabres have been any worse for it? One point I’ll give you is that they may have had better coaching in Rochester.

Trust me, I know it’s not a popular opinion. And I do think a very small minority of players benefit from playing in the AHL. I just think it’s overvrated and I cringe every time someone talks like it’s an absolute truth.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, tom webster said:

They could have gotten the same experience up here. Would the Sabres have been any worse for it? One point I’ll give you is that they may have had better coaching in Rochester.

Trust me, I know it’s not a popular opinion. And I do think a very small minority of players benefit from playing in the AHL. I just think it’s overvrated and I cringe every time someone talks like it’s an absolute truth.

The Sabres tried that approach with Tage Thompson this season when he should have been in Rochand it failed both the player and the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres tried that approach with Tage Thompson this season when he should have been in Rochand it failed both the player and the team.  

No! Tage did benefit from being in the NHL all season. Financially. 

Tage needed the AHL like Nylander needed it. And Nylander needs, yes needs to experience the playoffs in the AHL now. He’ll be better for it next season. Same with Olofsson, Pulit, and Thompson.

Even If some want to cross their arms and refuse to believe it.

Edited by Zamboni
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

Ok, I’ll concede that people were talking about Housley. Who else interviewed him? The major point, however, is why did JBOT choose him? Even a cursory interview would have revealed he has no grasp of the information available to him. The sport is on the verge of technological epiphany and there is no evidence that he even knows whose playing well during a period. 

The ROR thing is debatable but the bottom line is the return leaves a lot to be desired. In his case, I have to believe a better coach handles that situation better.

As for the AHL, it’s all anecdotal evidence. There is no real way of knowing why someone gets better over time. Maybe they were that hood all along and just needed a chance. Maybe they just matured. Maybe there were reasons that Girgerenko cane with all those red flags and he was destined for failure no matter how he was handled.

finally, I believe history will look back on GMTM much better.

There is some rumors circulating that the Pegulas had locked in on Housley even before they made a decision on Botterill. Of the positions that were open, as mentioned up thread of the openings that summer two were filled internally, Gallant was hired even before GMTM/DD were fired. Florida wanted to interview PH, but where told he’s not interested. Maybe lending credence to the first statement. 

And Im in full agreement that the ROR Return was horrible. I posted the return in the trade thread and followed it with a WTF. 

I’m not sure how History will judge GMTM, he was bold in the ROR and Kane Trades, however he did give up a lot to get them. 

He did pass on Sergechev to draft Nylander and followed that by putting him into a league he was absolutely not ready for at 18.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I believe that’s why Botterill had them down there because he knew this to be true 

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And next year, as Tage’s Body continues it’s growth from boy strength to man strength I’m sure we will hear all about it was his time in Rochester they made such a difference.

There are a lot of reasons that the league is getting younger, part of it being that teams are starting to realize that the AHL isn’t as important as they thought. Maybe I’ll spend time seeing how much minor league time the NHL’s top 100 scorers put in.

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

And next year, as Tage’s Body continues it’s growth from boy strength to man strength I’m sure we will hear all about it was his time in Rochester they made such a difference.

There are a lot of reasons that the league is getting younger, part of it being that teams are starting to realize that the AHL isn’t as important as they thought. Maybe I’ll spend time seeing how much minor league time the NHL’s top 100 scorers put in.

Re: top 100 scorers in the past decade....

Only if you take out all top 10 draft picks since most top 10 draft picks are talented enough to go top 10, and therefore see little if any junior or AHL time. 

As you know, that really wouldn’t make your point of players not needing the AHL and it not being a developmental league, if you selected someone like Crosby or Malkin and said “SEE ZOMG! They didn’t need AHL TIME!” ???

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

UPL’s Season ends with a 60 save triple OT Loss

Jacob Bryson’s Junior Year also ends in a loss at the Frozen Four. 

Will both be Rochester Bound? 

UPL is done with Junior hockey, I think the next logical step is pro. It would be good for him to get to know the Amerks system and be around that atmosphere ASAP.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

No surprise here, but Samuelsson going back to college in the fall.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/04/25/buffalo-sabres-western-michigan-mattias-samuelsson-nhl-ncaa-news-2019/

With Fitzpatrick, Bryson added, Daugherty and Hickey back and Pilut and Borgen potentially still in the mix for Rochester there really isn't any room for another kid on their blueline.

Wouldn't be surprised if fills the gap next spring created as Borgen graduates.

• Like (+1) 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

How did Samuelsson do this season, anyone know?

Had a better half statistically in the 1st half than the second. Overall, his numbers were better than one would expect from freshman defensive defenceman. Made the WJC team, did OK with them, and is expected to be one of the leaders next year.

His coach and the Sabres continue to say nice things, but what else would you expect? No buzz around him that I’ve seen from people outside the organization.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.