2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Well if he has watched Guhle, I am not sure how he comes out with 3rd pairing guy. Looks like a solid 2nd pairing guy to me with his skating, size, and passing. 

I see him shaping into a definite NHL defenseman who figures to be “bottom four.” You’re comfortable with him on the second pair and in really good shape if he’s in your third pairing. Very small chance he becomes a top-two type.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

11 (Kaprizov) was a 5th round pick in 2015.

31 (Abramov) was a 3rd round pick in 2016.

34 (Fox) was a 3rd round pick in 2016.

48 (Sorokin) was a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Those are the only non-1st/2nd rounders.

Can someone just publish the entire list for those of us without the Athletic?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

Scott Wheeler of the Athletic did a top 50 drafted NHL prospects list.

http://bit.ly/2NRx7DF

Sabres have number one and four (surprise surprise) but don’t have another name on the list. He goes on to mention 70 “other” prospects of interest and the only name we have there is Alex Nylander. 

One team has zero prospects on the list (New Jersey). 16 teams have one. Nine have two. Four have three and one has four (Vancouver).

In our division: Boston (1), Buffalo (2), Carolina (3), Detroit (1), Florida (2), Montreal (1), Ottawa (2), Tampa (1), Toronto (1).

Dahlin (1) and Mittelstadt (4) combine for 5 spots in the ranking. Vancouver has the next lowest combination with Elias Pettersson (2) and Quinn Hughes (8) combine for 10. Carolina has 3 (Andrei Svechnikov) and 9 (Martin Necas).

Rasmus Dahlin is a Buffalo Sabre, that's all that matters.

?

Edited by Thorny

I wasn't going to post either.  But future reference, what is acceptable to post behind a pay wall?  I often come across things in the Atlantic that are post worthy.  Certain portions of an article are ok I take it?  As long as it's not the vast majority etc?

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

11 (Kaprizov) was a 5th round pick in 2015.

31 (Abramov) was a 3rd round pick in 2016.

34 (Fox) was a 3rd round pick in 2016.

48 (Sorokin) was a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Those are the only non-1st/2nd rounders.

Which makes sense. Most guys taken after the 1st or early 2nd simply aren't very good prospects. 

20 hours ago, Hoss said:

I see him shaping into a definite NHL defenseman who figures to be “bottom four.” You’re comfortable with him on the second pair and in really good shape if he’s in your third pairing. Very small chance he becomes a top-two type.

Agree on Guhle. The hype train on him has been out of control since he was drafted. 

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I don't think Guhle was hyped as the next Karlson , Subban or anyone else.  He showed a solid simple game every time he lined up for the in both regular season and pre-season games.  He was also our only legit D prospect (thanks TM).  I for one never expected him to become a 25 minute a night guy, but I didn't think and still do that he'll become a solid 22-23 minutes a night guy and anchor our 2nd pair. 

33 minutes ago, Weave said:

Same point, insert different name.  If noone finds him credible how is he to blame for the hype?

I disagree with your premise. I don't think people hold Hamilton's credibility anywhere near the gutter that Harrington's is in. There's certainly a vocal minority (of which I am proudly a part of), but I don't get the sense it's a widespread sentiment. 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think Guhle was hyped as the next Karlson , Subban or anyone else.  He showed a solid simple game every time he lined up for the in both regular season and pre-season games.  He was also our only legit D prospect (thanks TM).  I for one never expected him to become a 25 minute a night guy, but I didn't think and still do that he'll become a solid 22-23 minutes a night guy and anchor our 2nd pair. 

If you think Guhle can anchor a second pair, then you think he's at worst a #3. I think that's an awfully optimistic expectation. That he was our only legit D prospect for two years is probably the key reason he's been so overrated. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, TrueBlueGED said:

I disagree with your premise. I don't think people hold Hamilton's credibility anywhere near the gutter that Harrington's is in. There's certainly a vocal minority (of which I am proudly a part of), but I don't get the sense it's a widespread sentiment. 

If you think Guhle can anchor a second pair, then you think he's at worst a #3. I think that's an awfully optimistic expectation. That he was our only legit D prospect for two years is probably the key reason he's been so overrated. 

That's just how it goes. When Grigorenko and Girgensons were drafted they were immediately penciled in as our top 2 centers. Grigorenko busted out while Girgensons had his "all star" season thanks to the ballot box stuffing in Latvia and suddenly Girgensons is a top line center and pretty much stayed there until we drafted Reinhart. Reinhart was penciled in as the next hero before he played a single second in the NHL and didn't get pushed down our speculative depth charts until we traded for O'Reilly and drafted Eichel. When we traded for Hodgson he was overhyped as well and so was Johan Larsson when we got him in the Pominville trade.

Part of it is out of necessity (if you're trying to make a depth chart, you've got to put everybody somewhere) and part of it is irrational fandom. We have to belief our young guys will reach their full potential, otherwise there's not a whole lot of incentive to keep watching when the team is as bad as it is.

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Would the Sabres still have the best pool in the league if their only prospect was Rasmus Dahlin?

53 minutes ago, WildCard said:

No. Without clicking on that link, I'm pretty sure it'd be Vancouver by a mile

You would trade Dahlin for Hughes,  Pettersson and a handful of Juolevis? I wouldn’t.

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Would the Sabres still have the best pool in the league if their only prospect was Rasmus Dahlin?

It drops off pretty quickly considering that the top two guys on the list won't qualify as prospects anymore after this season, using the criteria they outline.  I suppose #4 Guhle could fall of too if things go well for him this year.

6 minutes ago, shrader said:

It drops off pretty quickly considering that the top two guys on the list won't qualify as prospects anymore after this season, using the criteria they outline.  I suppose #4 Guhle could fall of too if things go well for him this year.

That's pretty normal though. Maybe not 3 players but 1-2 come off everyone's list each year. We also have 3 first round picks next year, which will be vital to restocking the young talent pool. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's pretty normal though. Maybe not 3 players but 1-2 come off everyone's list each year. We also have 3 first round picks next year, which will be vital to restocking the young talent pool. 

Those top two may just be the top guys on the entire list though, depending on who does the ranking.  That's definitely a rarity.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.