2018 - 2019 Sabres Prospects

GASabresIUFAN

With the Fasching trade, the Pilut signing and the draft, who are our top prospects? I’m going to stick to players 23 and under with limited to no NHL games. I try to balance age, upside and time until NHL impact.

1) Dahlin

2) Mittelstadt

3) Guhle

4) Pilut

5) Olofsson

6) Asplund

7) Davidsson

8) Nylander

9) Pu

10) Borgen

11) Smith

12) Samuelsson

13) Johansson

14) UPL

15) Hickey

16) Baptiste

17) Bailey

18) Weissbach

19) Fitzgerald

20) Pekar

21) Bryson

22) Oglevie

23) Laaksonen

24) Malone

25) Cornel

O’Regan and Ullmark are aged out of this list

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

No love for Karabacek? ????

Seriously, I’d say Pilut and Olafsson are way too high, unless this is in order of how far away they are.

For all the anti-hype, Alex Nylander is still probably third on the list.

Malone should be higher because he sees NHL time this year.

And Samuelsson is too low. Fourth highest drafted player on the list. He is at least on the same tier as Asplund and Davidsson.

Good stuff. Glad to see this thread back.

Edited by dudacek

No love for Karabacek?

Seriously, I’d say Pilut and Olafsson are way too high, unless this is in order of how far away they are.

For all the anti-hype, Alex Nylander is still probably third on the list.

Malone should be higher because he sees NHL time this year.

And Samuelsson is too low. Fourth highest drafted player on the list. He is at least on the same tier as Asplund and Davidsson.

Good stuff. Glad to see this thread back.

Samuelsson's ranking is more of comment on how long it will be before he makes an impact in the NHL and his limited offensive upside.  Nylander could easily move up the list if he blossoms this year, but based on his play last year, I think Asplund has more upside right now.  

As to Pilut and Olfosson, I think they'll be Sabres this year and make an impact and acknowledge they could be rated to high based on their lack of NA experience, but something about them stands out to me.  Maybe it's the fact that they were the cream of a men's league on par with the AHL.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

My tiers would be like this:

Dahlin -star in the making

Mittelstadt -likely top six

Borgen, Guhle, Asplund, Davidsson, Samuelsson, Nylander - reasonable chance of becoming an NHL regular.

Pu, Baptiste, Bailey, Malone, Smith, Luukkonnen, Hickey, Pilut, Olafsson - outside chance of becoming NHL regulars.

Edited by dudacek

Samuelsson's ranking is more of comment on how long it will be before he makes an impact in the NHL and his limited offensive upside.

Saw some interesting scouting reports on Samuelsson that say he may be one of the most NHL-ready prospects in this draft. He’s got a mans body and maturity. He doesn’t create, but he reads the play at a high level, makes safe exits and defends well against speed.

Saw some interesting scouting reports on Samuelsson that say he may be one of the most NHL-ready prospects in this draft. He’s got a mans body and maturity. He doesn’t create, but he reads the play at a high level, makes safe exits and defends well against speed.

But we have no need to rush him.  Guhle looked ready in his first call up and three years later we still aren't sure.  

Jbot is going to give Samuelsson all the time he needs to make an impact at the NHL not just fill a limited role.  I think he envisions him at Dahlin stay at home partner.  However that is two years away when Scandella's contract is up.

My tiers would be like this:

Dahlin -star in the making

Mittelstadt -likely top six

Borgen, Guhle, Asplund, Davidsson, Samuelsson, Nylander - reasonable chance of becoming an NHL regular.

Pu, Baptiste, Bailey, Malone, Smith, Luukkonnen, Hickey, Pilut, Olafsson - outside chance of becoming NHL regulars.

I'm pretty high on Luukkonnen. I think he's gonna make it.

I will be penciling Baptiste into our bottom six for as long as our forward roster without him still reads: 

Girgensons - Eichel - Okposo

Wilson - ROR - Reinhart

Rodrigues - Mittelstadt - xxx

xxx - Larsson - xxx

With immediate choices for xxx being Pominville, Bailey, Olofsson, Asplund, CJ Smith, Danny O'Regan. Because he's better right now than every single one of these guys. 

I will be penciling Baptiste into our bottom six for as long as our forward roster without him still reads:

Wilson - ROR - Reinhart

xxx - Larsson - xxx

With immediate choices for xxx being Pominville, Bailey, Olofsson, Asplund, CJ Smith, Danny O'Regan. Because he's better right now than every single one of these guys.

My God those lines still reek of a last place team. Please bring some talent on the wings JBot. I'd still have Middlestadt on Jack's wing to start the season. Especially if they acquire a 3rd line center.

Samuelsson's ranking is more of comment on how long it will be before he makes an impact in the NHL and his limited offensive upside. Nylander could easily move up the list if he blossoms this year, but based on his play last year, I think Asplund has more upside right now.

As to Pilut and Olfosson, I think they'll be Sabres this year and make an impact and acknowledge they could be rated to high based on their lack of NA experience, but something about them stands out to me. Maybe it's the fact that they were the cream of a men's league on par with the AHL.

What's the track record of someone Olafsson's age, experience and stats making the NHL immediately. I can't look it up now but I'm guessing it's super slim.

Nice list, although I'd personally change a few rankings.

#1 should be Mittelstadt because he's a mother in' God

#2 should be Dahlin because he's a future stud but not a deity

Nylander should be lower until he can at least impress at the AHL level.

Other than that it seems pretty good.

Wilson - ROR - Reinhart

xxx - Larsson - xxx

God our wings are absolutely nauseating. Every time someone posts this lineup I wanna trade RoR for wingers

You have Samuelsson ranked too low IMO.

Why?

Here is my rationale. Our best prospects are a mix of high end draft picks, a couple of guys who have our developed their draft slot and a couple of FA signees.

Samuelsson is definitively in the mix, but was actually hard to slot because he is going to college next fall and we need to see if his offense will translate first to college and then to the pros.

If we rank strictly by draft slot and experience, then Samuelsson starts at best 7th behind Dahlin, Mittelstadt, the 3 good 2nd rd picks in Guhle, Asplund and Daviddson, plus 8th overall pick Nylander who could shot up or down these rankings depending on next season.

Then the question becomes how does he slot against other developing players like Borgen, Pu, Olofsson, Smith and Pilut. Right now I think Borgen and Pilut are better/more proven D then Mattias. That drops Samuelsson to 9th at best.

So what about Samuelsson vs Olofsson, Pu and Smith? All 3 are closer to being in the NHL. While Pu was drafted in he 3rd, I think his draft status was hurt by limited playing time on a stacked London Knights team his draft year. He has proven to be one of the CHL’s most reliable players since he was drafted and therefore I slotted him in front of Samuelsson as well.

The hardest two placements were Olofsson and Smith. However, Olofsson’s speed, shot and his leading the SHL in goals gave him the edge and Smith play as our best AHL forward for most of the season last year also tives him the edge.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think you are doing too much positive projecting with a lot of guys.

Olafsson, Pilut are 22 year olds coming off one breakout year that may or may not translate. Smith is a similar age and his claim to fame is half a good season in Rochester. Borgen didn’t dress for the playoffs in Rochester. Pu was just another good OHL 20-year-old. They are of the same age (other than Pu) yet none of them have even hit the same heights as Baptiste and Bailey yet.

Maybe a better way of putting it is this: not one team in the league would trade the 32 pick in the draft for any of them.

We just invested the 32nd pick in Samuelsson.

I think you are doing too much positive projecting with a lot of guys.

Olafsson, Pilut are 22 year olds coming off one breakout year that may or may not translate. Smith is a similar age and his claim to fame is half a good season in Rochester. Borgen didn’t dress for the playoffs in Rochester. Pu was just another good OHL 20-year-old. They are of the same age (other than Pu) yet none of them have even hit the same heights as Baptiste and Bailey yet.

Maybe a better way of putting it is this: not one team in the league would trade the 32 pick in the draft for any of them.

We just invested the 32nd pick in Samuelsson.

Sigh you just depressed my hopes for the Sabres mightly. D seems to be shoring up with Dahlin, Ghule and Samuelson. Scoring wingers are such dire need on this team and a goalie. Just fielding a competitive team seems a long ways away. The tongue and cheek thread on Hughes seems like a real possibilty even now unless at least one or of these young guys can step up...

IMO, Tage slides safely into third in our pipeline, bringing a power forward skill set we haven't seen in Rochester in some time. I'd put money on him starting the year with the big club. With 3 first rounders next year, our pitiful prospect pool will improve significantly and begin to blossom as our core peaks and we get major cap relief: the 2020-2021 season. Wish this happened 5 years ago but happy there's a clear three-year plan now. 

1. Dahlin

2. Mittlestadt

3. Thomson

4. Nylander

5. Asplund

6. Guhle

7. Davidsson

8. Samuelsson

9. Borgen

10. Olafsson

I’d say he’s definitely in the mix with Guhle, Nylander and Asplund for a top five slot.

Thompson didn’t make this year’s Future Watch as he was up in St. Louis, but they did refer to him as one of the team’s big four who were heavily in demand from other teams. The other three on the list of top 100 prospects were Thomas (8), Kyrou (12) and Kostin (50).

For reference, Asplund was 82and Guhle 96 in this poll of NHL scouts.

Thompson was 24 in last year’s edition.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.