#94, Matej Pekar (C/RW)

LGR4GM

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Stupid question, Why would the NHL-CHL Agreement apply to Pekar when he was originally selected out of the USHL in his draft year?

He wasn’t even drafted by Barrie until the 2018 CHL Import Draft, which was held after the NHL Entry Draft. 

I would think that rule would only apply to North Americans in the CHL. If he was in said draft isn't he an import?

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I would think that rule would only apply to North Americans in the CHL. If he was in said draft isn't he an import?

This is all I could find on European Players. I would think this would be the same for USHL European Born Players.  Either way he’s in Barrie until their season is over. 

Another exception is if an NHL club drafts a player out of a European league, and then the player joins one of the CHL leagues after the NHL draft. Since he was property of an NHL team before he joined the CHL, he isn't bound to the transfer agreement. This is a rare occurrence though, as most players drafted out of European leagues continue to develop in the European league before moving to North America.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/06/24/nhl-chl-transfer-agreement-faq-rules-penguins-tlh/

Edited by Brawndo

The way nylander ‘developed’ in the A, I have no problem where he’s playing.  Let him rip up the chl and stay healthy this year young man.  He’s a couple of years away but for a 94th pick from a couple of years ago I’m fine with where he’s at and where’s he’s playing.  

My favorite Sabres prospect.  Love his playing style, love his personality.  I think both are something this team could seriously use.

For a 4th round pick to be signed to an ELC less than a year after being drafted, and to rise to prominence as quickly as he has, it says a lot about him I think.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

For a 4th round pick to be signed to an ELC less than a year after being drafted, and to rise to prominence as quickly as he has

Pick a fight with our 1st overall pick in your first prospect camp will get you noticed and leads to confirmation bias going forward.  Very shrewd on his part.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This is all I could find on European Players. I would think this would be the same for USHL European Born Players.  Either way he’s in Barrie until their season is over. 

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2019/06/24/nhl-chl-transfer-agreement-faq-rules-penguins-tlh/

I'm too lazy to dig up any links, but he was definitely AHL eligible.  I seem to remember a quote earlier in the summer from Botterill that they preferred him playing in Barrie instead of the AHL, so that's where he was going.  The one thing I'm not completely sure on though is that since he's not subject to the transfer agreement, they should be able to call him up if they really wanted to.  While I do agree with your statement about him being there until the season's over, I don't believe that there is anything legally holding them to that.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Stupid question, Why would the NHL-CHL Agreement apply to Pekar when he was originally selected out of the USHL in his draft year?

He wasn’t even drafted by Barrie until the 2018 CHL Import Draft, which was held after the NHL Entry Draft. 

Hmm maybe this changes it. Seems to be the nuances of the transfer agreement.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Pick a fight with our 1st overall pick in your first prospect camp will get you noticed and leads to confirmation bias going forward.  Very shrewd on his part.

Totally forgot about that.  Very old school way of getting noticed.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If Pekar becomes a 3rd line player he will have done well for himself. 

That's exactly where I see him.  He'll be like a hybrid of Peca and Roy, if he can just get to the NHL level.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Barnaby with a slightly better scoring touch would amazing ?

WITH Barnaby's scoring touch would be fine.  10-15 goals and 15-20 assists would be fantastic for where he was drafted.

37 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He will be the next Brad Marchand and you all will perish from your unbelief.

Dying happy ain't so bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.