#94, Matej Pekar (C/RW)

LGR4GM

Extrapolating a career from one practice session is, well, unbelievably foolish. Wouldn’t it be great, though, if Pekar becomes the next Peca? The tweets and articles all point to skill applied with an edge.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Interview with Pekar.

I love it. When asked about the physicality with Dahlin, there was a twinkle in his eye, which reminds me of a trait in some of the best pests in the NHL comparing them to wrestling a pig: "You both get muddy, but the pig likes it."

I met a pot belly pig today while getting ice cream. A couple was walking it through town just like a dog. It joyfully gobbled up some sprinkles from the sidewalk. 

• 4 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I saw something this morning about Pekar returning to USHL Muskegon rather than proceeding to NCAA Miami for the season as originally planned.  Anyone know why?  

https://www.accesshockeymi.com/index.php/2018/07/30/buffalo-sabres-matej-pekar-return-muskegon/  “I want to try to learn how to become a dominant player that can help (the) team in every single situation and off and on the ice as well,” he stated.

Edited by LGR4GM

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I saw something this morning about Pekar returning to USHL Muskegon rather than proceeding to NCAA Miami for the season as originally planned.  Anyone know why?  

He would not be eligible to play for Miami of Ohio until January for academic reasons I believe. 

Just now, Eleven said:

Yep.  Just saw Baker's tweet.

Does this mean he can play in the prospect tournament?  Attend training camp?

He'd have to pay to stay in Buffalo and for all his meals I believe. Isn't the NCAA super nazis about stuff? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He'd have to pay to stay in Buffalo and for all his meals I believe. Isn't the NCAA super nazis about stuff? 

I don't know about that.  He was able to attend development camp on the team's dime, right?

30 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He would not be eligible to play for Miami of Ohio until January for academic reasons I believe. 

These things seem to pop up from time to time with the european imports.  If it is in fact the case, I'll give the kid credit for sticking with Miami instead of just jumping to UCONN instead.

And before anyone asks, I mention UCONN because they took on a couple guys a few years ago after they couldn't meet other school's admission standards.

5 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I don't see why he wouldn't be eligible.  Mittlestadt was committed last season and he attended training camp no?

I'd suspect there's either a slight language barrier or that school stuff from europe may have not transferred over to US standards as well as they hoped.  Think of it like a credit issue with colleges.

Edit: Ahh, crap, you're talking about participation in camp.  The college guys are free to participate in those all they want.  They just can't sign.

Edited by shrader

• 1 year later...
Just now, Curt said:

Why not?  I thought he was eligible for Rochester this year.  He was assigned to Rochester late last season, though he didn’t play a game.

He was assigned to Roc after his CHL team finished their season.  He has to complete his CHL eligibility before he can be assigned to an AHL team.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I don’t think he’s eligible for Rochester next season. 

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

He was assigned to Roc after his CHL team finished their season.  He has to complete his CHL eligibility before he can be assigned to an AHL team.

But he was in the USHL when drafted and only went to the OHL after that.  Was he even drafted in the OHL or is he considered a Euro player “on loan” to the OHL?  Those guys, like Nylander for example, don’t need to complete their OHL eligibility before going to the AHL.

Its possible that I’m wrong, but I was always under the impression that Pekar could go to the AHL at any time.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.