Sabres Development Camp

Brawndo

Ok, for what it is worth here are my observations from this morning:

I got there just after the first session began and only stayed until the end of that session. Two goalies, UPL and Kielly were on my near side working with several coaches mostly on short side stuff and quick passes in front. Put a lot of emphasis on covering post. UPL gobbled up a rebound and drilled it past Kielly and raised his stick and we cheered. 

The skaters were are working on skating and puck handling skills. An assistant coach who looked like Brian Gionta was running them. He had them doing things like holding their sticks in their wrong hands and stick handling up ice, stick handling with two pucks--once separately and once where they kept the pucks together. The coach kept emphasizing for them to use their thighs or to squat more. In one drill he had them try and keep the puck right on the line, but to touch it as they went sideways stopping and starting. Nice drill, so they stop and start quickly. Some of the players did all these things easily while others had trouble keeping up. 

Then they pulled the nets to the bluelines and played three on three close in hockey. If the puck was lost a coach just fired another one in. They made quick changes and it was fun to watch. Middelstad and Ausplund played together and looked very good together, like they had played together before. They scored a goal really quickly and then made some nice plays after that. Pilut was the other player that stood out. He isn't big but if he can handle the physical stuff he looks like a real talent. Like I said earlier, Borgen was a real prick and will get in a fight in one of these camps. He plays like Risto. 

Did not get to see Dahlin, as he was in second half and Pu just isn't there I guess. 

I got there just after the first session began and only stayed until the end of that session. Two goalies, UPL and Kielly were on my near side working with several coaches mostly on short side stuff and quick passes in front. Put a lot of emphasis on covering post. UPL gobbled up a rebound and drilled it past Kielly and raised his stick and we cheered. 

The skaters were are working on skating and puck handling skills. An assistant coach who looked like Brian Gionta was running them. He had them doing things like holding their sticks in their wrong hands and stick handling up ice, stick handling with two pucks--once separately and once where they kept the pucks together. The coach kept emphasizing for them to use their thighs or to squat more. In one drill he had them try and keep the puck right on the line, but to touch it as they went sideways stopping and starting. Nice drill, so they stop and start quickly. Some of the players did all these things easily while others had trouble keeping up. 

Then they pulled the nets to the bluelines and played three on three close in hockey. If the puck was lost a coach just fired another one in. They made quick changes and it was fun to watch. Middelstad and Ausplund played together and looked very good together, like they had played together before. They scored a goal really quickly and then made some nice plays after that. Pilut was the other player that stood out. He isn't big but if he can handle the physical stuff he looks like a real talent. Like I said earlier, Borgen was a real prick and will get in a fight in one of these camps. He plays like Risto. 

Did not get to see Dahlin, as he was in second half and Pu just isn't there I guess. 

From what I've read Gionta is at development camp helping out.

I saw some clips of the later stuff.  I really wish I'd been able to get there in person this year.

Andrew Oglevie

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145535

How’s this kid looked?

Tim Graham with a nice feature on him in the Athletic. Small, fast, relentless, undrafted.

Bloomed at Notre Dame with back to back point a game seasons before signing here for the rookie max.

Sure fits the Botterill type. Seems to have a lot in common with Sheary, except he’s a centre.

Article suggests not to count him out of playing in Buffalo this year.

Andrew Oglevie

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145535

How’s this kid looked?

Tim Graham with a nice feature on him in the Athletic. Small, fast, relentless, undrafted.

Bloomed at Notre Dame with back to back point a game seasons before signing here for the rookie max.

Sure fits the Botterill type. Seems to have a lot in common with Sheary, except he’s a centre.

Article suggests not to count him out of playing in Buffalo this year.

I see that name and can't help thinking about the Bad News Bears.

You can’t tell me you’ve seen The Bad News Bears and not seen There’s Something About Mary!

One of those movies came out when I was a toddler and was endlessly repeated on TV through my childhood, and is a classic.

The other came out when I was a grownup with responsibilities, and (I think?) has Ben Stiller in it.

Anyone else having problems getting the live stream to work?

NM, I see it requires Flash.  Not gonna happen.

Edited by Eleven

After the round robin games the names that have been sticking out so far have been Guhle, Asplund, Dahlin, Glotov, Mittlestad, Pekar. Oloffson had 1 nice goal.

Edit to also include Pilut's name, he's looked good as well.

Would like to see some finish from Dahlin. By my count he's a minus-3 so far...is it too early to label him a bust?*

*just kidding

Edited by Mustache of God

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.