satan not missed by teammates?

Larry Playfair

I was expecting to see Vanek on the second line, but if he does play on the 1st line I am not worried about seeing him "burn out".  This kid looks like a hockey player and had the NHL played last year, I believe he would have been with the Sabres during the 2nd half of the year.

I expect to see a lot of rookies around the league play well this year, as a lot of them would have been rookies last year and have gotten an additional year of seasoning in the AHL that they would not normally have had.

As for Briere, he works hard every night and was the team's leading scorer last time out.  I don't know how vocal he is in the dressing room, but he can't be too much of a wall flower or he would not have been named co-captain.

As for Drury being in that position, he is.    ;)   :huh:

Dave.

I hope Vanek could be only the second player to score under Ruff, Satan being the first.

Expecting help from the other forwards is foolish.

Briere has the 'C' for one reason. He's a Regier yes man. They told him to go out and talk down Satan and we'll give you the 'C'. He hasn't done a thing on the ice throughout his NHL career to deserve it.

As far as Drury? He was MIA as much as Satan was last time out. So far he has been a $3 million reputation. :lol:

ESPN had Barry "Hollywood" Melrose on for about 10 minutes. He talked about pretty much every team in the league except the Sabres. Talking about how teams have new players and renewed sense of being able to win. I guess he's not feeling Teppo-Mania like some here. :)

I hope Vanek could be only the second player to score under Ruff, Satan being the first.

Expecting help from the other forwards is foolish.

Briere has the 'C' for one reason. He's a Regier yes man. They told him to go out and talk down Satan and we'll give you the 'C'. He hasn't done a thing on the ice throughout his NHL career to deserve it.

As far as Drury? He was MIA as much as Satan was last time out. So far he has been a $3 million reputation.  :lol:

ESPN had Barry "Hollywood" Melrose on for about 10 minutes. He talked about pretty much every team in the league except the Sabres. Talking about how teams have new players and renewed sense of being able to win. I guess he's not feeling Teppo-Mania like some here.  :)

Mr. DeLuca, how many Sabres, since Mogilny left Buffalo, have "scored" after leaving Buffalo? (I don't count Andreychuk's 21, scoring in the sense you seem to have defined it.) I can't think of any off the top of my head. (OK, Audette had 1 good offensive year out of the 8 since leaving Buffalo.) So it might not be entirely Lindy's fault that the Sabres haven't been offensive juggernauts. (Athough they were 9th in league scoring last time out, which isn't bad.) I think that you will see at a minimum Briere and Dumont placing good offensive numbers along with Vanek, and I think Drury, Hecht, Kotalik, and Afinogenov could have good numbers up front and Kalinen should have good numbers from the D.

OK, you don't like the idea of Briere nor Dumont being captain. Who would YOU name captain? Dumont? (A 27 year old who hasn't done a thing on the ice throughout his NHL career to deserve it. :) (joking)) Hecht? A player that I feel has leadership potential but wouldn't be as strong a captain as Drury or Briere in my opinion. Greer? McKee? (A player that a case could be made for, but I would like to wait and see if he actually plays physical again before giving him that honor.)

As for Melrose not taking about the Sabres, does that surprise you? I'm not surprised, the Sabres are a small market team that made limited moves.

Dave.

Mr. DeLuca, how many Sabres, since Mogilny left Buffalo, have "scored" after leaving Buffalo? (I don't count Andreychuk's 21, scoring in the sense you seem to have defined it.) I can't think of any off the top of my head. (OK, Audette had 1 good offensive year out of the 8 since leaving Buffalo.) So it might not be entirely Lindy's fault that the Sabres haven't been offensive juggernauts. (Athough they were 9th in league scoring last time out, which isn't bad.) I think that you will see at a minimum Briere and Dumont placing good offensive numbers along with Vanek, and I think Drury, Hecht, Kotalik, and Afinogenov could have good numbers up front and Kalinen should have good numbers from the D.

OK, you don't like the idea of Briere nor Dumont being captain. Who would YOU name captain? Dumont? (A 27 year old who hasn't done a thing on the ice throughout his NHL career to deserve it. :) (joking)) Hecht? A player that I feel has leadership potential but wouldn't be as strong a captain as Drury or Briere in my opinion. Greer? McKee? (A player that a case could be made for, but I would like to wait and see if he actually plays physical again before giving him that honor.)

As for Melrose not taking about the Sabres, does that surprise you? I'm not surprised, the Sabres are a small market team that made limited moves.

Dave.

Don't forget Geoff Sanderson ;)

As far as Captain? I would have brought back Patrick and given him the 'C'. Even at 40+ he would have been the Sabres #2 defenseman. Zhitnik would have been the second choice. Now McKee by default.

There isn't anyone in the forward ranks who deserves to wear the 'C'. That's why they rotated last time out. Players like Dumont, Hecht and Greer are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

I don't think Kalinen will have the numbers you think. Not becuase of a lack of talent. It's because he's all by himself back there. If he had any help he could make some strides. McKee will be playing not to get hurt until the trade deadline and he'll go all out for the playoff team that picks him up.

Max? Let's face it. He'll be benched before the new year. Money in the bank.

Guest Sabres#1Fan

LOL...Who is the Guy that said he would take 20 players who hate each other and make the playoffs???You are an idiot and should lose your opinion about HOCKEY!!

Being from Canada we know what Chemistry is All about and what team wins the Cup that hates each other???????NONE!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY DO PEOPLE SAY STUPID THINGS?

FOURTH LINER......THAT WAS NOT BRIERE VS SATAN IN WAS BRIERE\DRURY vs. SATAN

Granted both BRIERE and Drury and top notch second line players and Satan is a bottom level First line player(understand) SATAN is nothing more than a flashy European that at any given moment can give up on you.

MISSED PLAYOFFS LAST 3 YEARS?REIGERS FAULT???? YOU GUYS ARE LOST!

BUFFALO vs. NY ISLANDERS 2 YEARS WHEN BUFFALO WAS 2 POINTS BEHIND

we had our shirts handed to us WHERE WAS SATAN????????I think the score was like 5-2 and we missed the playoffs by 4 or 6 points? WHERE WAS REIGER FOR THAT GAME? Not on the ice??????

BUFFALO is a small market team swallow it the years of PAT, ALEXANDER, DALE HAWERCHUK and DOMINIK on the same team are days we will never see.

THE ONLY WAY buffalo wins the cup is with a level 2 team like we have and hope everyone has career years and we are lucky on some contracts and trades maybe REGIER can do it but i don't think he will be here if that happens?(WILL ANY OF US?)

SABRES LOST THEIR ONLY CHANCE WITH A FOOT IN THE CREASE AND THAT IS ALL WE HAVE ALONG WITH OUR 4 SUPERBOWL 2nd PLACE VICTORIES LOL......

TILL NEXT TIME

PS WHERE WAS OUR CUPS WITH MUCKLER LOL BYE BYE OTTAWA

BRING BACK TED NOLAN HE WAS THE MAN!!!

MY VOTE IS FOR HIM HE IS A STANLEY CUP CHANCE WITH A WEAK TEAM HE WILL PLAY THEIR HEARTS OUT ESPECIALLY FOR A YOUNG TEAM

BRING BACK TED NOLAN HARDEST WORKING TEAM IN HOCKEY DO NOT FORGET THAT AND THE CUP FINAL breathed of NOLAN with RUFF Riding the teams high from his coaching I AM OUT

As far as Drury? He was MIA as much as Satan was last time out. So far he has been a $3 million reputation. :lol:

So why did Briere wear the C during the year last season?

As for Drury, it doesn't give him a free pass, but the situation with his wife definately had to weighing down on him. This season will be the chance to really judge him.

Don't forget Geoff Sanderson ;)

As far as Captain? I would have brought back Patrick and given him the 'C'. Even at 40+ he would have been the Sabres #2 defenseman. Zhitnik would have been the second choice. Now McKee by default.

There isn't anyone in the forward ranks who deserves to wear the 'C'. That's why they rotated last time out.  Players like Dumont, Hecht and Greer are a dime a dozen in the NHL.

I don't think Kalinen will have the numbers you think. Not becuase of a lack of talent. It's because he's all by himself back there. If he had any help he could make some strides. McKee will be playing not to get hurt until the trade deadline and he'll go all out for the playoff team that picks him up.

Max? Let's face it. He'll be benched before the new year. Money in the bank.

OK, ONE guy who didn't score with the Sabres scored when he went elsewhere. I think that reinforces my point that the lack of overall scoring isn't so much Lindy's desire to not score but more of a case of working with what you've got. (Remember 2 things: 1 - Sabres were in the top third in scoring last time out with BASICALLY the same team they have this year, except the young team is now 2 years older and closer to what should be their peak years. (Satan's points will be replaced, probably by committee, but they will be replaced. Zhitnik was a power in his own end and very important in the transition game, but he did not factor into scoring plays heavily once the puck was into the opposing team's zone. Zhitnik will be missed definitely, but more so in his own zone than in the opponent's zone.); and 2 - the Rigas' didn't WANT any scoring studs on the team because they didn't want to pay them (look at Sabres drafts, trades, and FA acquisitions - there were NO pickups of top notch scorers, and limited pickups of 2nd tier scorers (return of Audette & Andreychuk, Heinze, and an over the hill Gilmour, a few others but you get the picture) only one of whom (Gilmour) would have been considered an expensive player.)

Captain C - If Patrick had come back, I could see giving him an "A" but wouldn't give him the "C" as he would not have been an everyday player. I don't think you send the right message to the team when the captain is someone who would play about 40-50 games if healthy. As I mentioned in my previous post, I agree a case can be made for McKee; but until I see his play revert back to pre-2001 level, I'll take a pass on giving him the "C". Also, I disagree about Briere getting the (co)captaincy because he is a yes man. During the second half of the season, I thought he was far and away the Sabres best forward.

In my opinion, the reason they rotated the "C" last year is that they wanted to give it to Drury for the full season when they traded for him but he hadn't been here at all and while he did have a history of scoring key goals, he did not have the stats nor the status to walk onto the team and have the "C" handed to him. Also, I think the way Miro played when he wore the "C" earned him the right to keep it one more month. His play went downhill after they took it away from him. I was actually shocked to see him play like a leader (IMHO) during the month he wore it. I never would have given it to him in the 1st place, but as I said, I'd have let him keep it one more month.

As for Max, we'll see. I hope you are wrong and believe that you are, but he has been in Lindy's dog house in the past and I can't immediately think of a player who's gotten out of the dog house once there (I am sure there are players that have worked there way back into his good graces, but I can't think of any immediately.)

Dave.

One less goal then a player who "floated" all season?

Briere doesn't come close to Satan in the talent department. He's just a 28 year old who hasn't done anything but talk. He's going to lead this team? Lead them right out of the playoffs for a fourth straight year.

You're right, Briere doesn't come close to Satan in talent. Very few do.

The point is, Briere works his ass off each and every night and works hard. He is smaller, yet hits more. He's smaller, yet skates harder.

If players in the room are glad he's gone, that is all I need to know. No matter how good you are, if you put yourself above the team, see you later.

Buffalo got lots out of this guy considering who they dealt away. But the time had come for him to go. He'd better keep his head up opening night, by the sounds of it.

As for your no playoff prediction. Guess what? Nobody cares what you think. Are you a Sabres fan or not? If not, then start walking away.

Satan is gifted but has no desire. Guys like him who waste god given talent, make me sick, especially when getting paid over $3 million per.

You're right, Briere doesn't come close to Satan in talent. Very few do.

The point is, Briere works his ass off each and every night and works hard. He is smaller, yet hits more. He's smaller, yet skates harder.

If players in the room are glad he's gone, that is all I need to know. No matter how good you are, if you put yourself above the team, see you later.

Buffalo got lots out of this guy considering who they dealt away. But the time had come for him to go. He'd better keep his head up opening night, by the sounds of it.

As for your no playoff prediction. Guess what? Nobody cares what you think. Are you a Sabres fan or not? If not, then start walking away.

Satan is gifted but has no desire. Guys like him who waste god given talent, make me sick, especially when getting paid over $3 million per.

Give me your home address so I can send you a quarter to buy a clue.

No matter what you say the Sabres were better with Satan then without. Imagine a power play with Satan and Vanek? Why do we as fans only get one scorer? Satan is at fault for letting what happened affect him. But the way the Sabres treated him, a 40 goal scorer who vastly UNDERPAID throughout his career , was crap. Satan should have been given the 'C' before the season. If they did? He would be a Sabre today and they would contend for a playoff spot. But the Sabres out smarted themselves. They were in so much love with their new toy Drury that discarded Satan quickly. This is a guy who carried this team on his back offensivly for years. He was a captain for his national team. Why wouldn't he get the 'C'? Money. His contract was up and the 'C' meant they would have to pay more.

And you are really lame.

"As for your no playoff prediction. Guess what? Nobody cares what you think. Are you a Sabres fan or not? If not, then start walking away." :lol:

Being a fan is about expressing your opions honestly. I believe in everything I post. You don't believe enough to register. Why? Because when your proven wrong who would know? If in the end I'm wrong? I'll admit it. And you know what? I'll still be a fan. I care enough to be honest. Do you? Blindly following without taking the time to look at the team is not being a fan.

A fan is someone who cares, not follows, cares. ;)

Why the hell should Satan get the C? He was as little of a leader as they come.

Just because he was the scoring leader does not mean he deserves the C.

And the comment about 20 players who hate eachother is absolutely ridiculous. No team with players that hate eachother go anywhere. You think the Red Sox, when they were down 3 games to none hated each other? NO! They worked as a team, a unit. That's the reason they won. They believed in each other.

No one on the Sabres believed in Satan.

Why the hell should Satan get the C? He was as little of a leader as they come.

Just because he was the scoring leader does not mean he deserves the C.

And the comment about 20 players who hate eachother is absolutely ridiculous. No team with players that hate eachother go anywhere. You think the Red Sox, when they were down 3 games to none hated each other? NO! They worked as a team, a unit. That's the reason they won. They believed in each other.

No one on the Sabres believed in Satan.

First off you're qouting Red Sox to the wrong man. As a life long Sox fan I know what it took. And if you think the Sox were a band of guys who were in love with each other you're insane. They played together. That doesn't mean they love each other. Schilling and Martinez didn't like each other. And several of the players were sick of Manny's act during the season. Francona had run ins with players all year including Lowe who was probably their best starter in the post season.

Look a little seeper before you post.

Also,

Satan is as much a prove leader as the two that wear the 'C' now. You think Satan hasn't earned it. Show me Briere's and Drury's resume. :o

There is no resume showing how good of a leader you are.

Nor is there a stat sheet that proves it.

I have to disagree. Leaders do have resumes. Anyone can stand up in a locker room and talk about accountability and all the rah rah stuff. If you don't have the pedigree behind it? It means nothing. Guys like Messier, Yzerman and Stevens earned their C's . They did not just get them handed to them which seems to be the Sabres way.

Example. Rob Ray was the biggest rah rah guy in Sabre history. Fans loved him. Players loved. The franchise loved him. But to give him the C would be a joke.

Drury does have a bit of a NHL pedigree. But you have to put it in perspective considering he played with Sakic and Forsberg two NHL Hall Of Famers. He has yet to make his mark outside of Colorado. He hasn't even played in a playoff game since then.

Briere has no pedigree at all. 6 playoff games total? For as much as some hammer on Satan ability to be Captain? Briere gets the free pass. Why? You might as well give a C to Connolly. He's on the same path to have the exact career Briere has.

You can't blame Briere for having a crappy supporting cast in Phoenix.

I'm just curious by the way, how you feel about the Sabres' play in the pre-season.

The Sabres preseason?

Seems to be all Vanek. But it's hard to tell when most teams are useing split squads. The first 10 games of the regular season will tell all you need to know about the Sabres.

Give me your home address so I can send you a quarter to buy a clue.

No matter what you say the Sabres were better with Satan then without. Imagine a power play with Satan and Vanek? Why do we as fans only get one scorer? Satan is at fault for letting what happened affect him. But the way the Sabres treated him, a 40 goal scorer who vastly UNDERPAID throughout his career , was crap. Satan should have been given the 'C' before the season. If they did? He would be a Sabre today and they would contend for a playoff spot. But the Sabres out smarted themselves. They were in so much love with their new toy Drury that discarded Satan quickly. This is a guy who carried this team on his back offensivly for years. He was a captain for his national team. Why wouldn't he get the 'C'? Money. His contract was up and the 'C' meant they would have to pay more.

And you are really lame.

"As for your no playoff prediction. Guess what? Nobody cares what you think. Are you a Sabres fan or not? If not, then start walking away." :lol:

Being a fan is about expressing your opions honestly. I believe in everything I post. You don't believe enough to register. Why? Because when your proven wrong who would know? If in the end I'm wrong? I'll admit it. And you know what? I'll still be a fan. I care enough to be honest. Do you? Blindly following without taking the time to look at the team is not being a fan.

A fan is someone who cares, not follows, cares. ;)

On the money. Preach it brotha! B-)

Guest SabresFan#1

THIRD LINER you don't know hockey.

You compare baseball to hockey Ilmao

Baseball is the biggest individual sport their is.

Hockey is about chemistry. But i guess you don't know about that.

You don't have to be a great player to be a captain.

If you know all aspects of the game and are willing to go beyond skill, beyond sacrifice. If you are willing to step up when you can only fail if you are willing to say the team is more important then me. That is Captain that is Leadership.

Where is SATAN in that i cannot believe you would even compare SATAN to any sabre for leadership that is a joke

THIRD LINER you should be ashamed of yourself.

TO say buffalo is better with SATAN you don't know hockey. Ever here of Cancer it takes over everything including Vakek i am sure SATAN can teach VANEK how to float too.LOL

THIRD LINER you don't know hockey. ** I can only hope to be SabresFan#2 since you are SabresFan#1. It's the highest spot left

You compare baseball to hockey Ilmao

Baseball is the biggest individual sport their is. ** I believe I compared atheletes who started slow. An athelete is one no matter what sport. Or are you talking about the Sox post? Which is all fact. teams WIN and don;t always get along. The 90 Bills had severaldiferent factions. Not all liked each other.

Hockey is about chemistry. But i guess you don't know about that. ** Really? How is that again? Chemistry can happen even with players who don't like each other. Did you see Owens and McNabbs TD's this season? Oh and by the way. The French Connection? They were not the best of friends.

You don't have to be a great player to be a captain. ** Proven. By Briere.

If you know all aspects of the game and are willing to go beyond skill, beyond sacrifice. If you are willing to step up when you can only fail if you are willing to say the team is more important then me. That is Captain that is Leadership. ** And Briere proved this when? I didn't see Drury taking a pay cut to stay in Calgary? The team may be more important then "me" but not the contract

Where is SATAN in that i cannot believe you would even compare SATAN to any sabre for leadership that is a joke ** Which current Sabre was a Captain of their National team? You can get back to me on that one.

THIRD LINER you should be ashamed of yourself. ** At least I'll be posting all season no matter the record.

TO say buffalo is better with SATAN you don't know hockey. Ever here of Cancer it takes over everything including Vakek i am sure SATAN can teach VANEK how to float too.LOL **Float and out score Briere and Drury ;) It would have been nice for Vanek to talk to someone who has scored at a high level.

DeLuca,

I would just like to point out that comparing Satans captaincy of Slovakia to him being a legitimate captain of the Sabres is ludicrous. European teams are a lot different in make up than North American sides. The whole style of play and team ethos is different. Everyone knows that. Also remember the team only has a few games per-year in Championships or Olympics, they don't have to spend a minimum of 82 games a season together travelling 1,000?s of miles.

A team should be more than one single player which is hard to accept for a lot of Europeans who get crazy star worship in their home countries.

Satan is/was a good player and worthy of a lot of respect, there's no doubt about that but he was also almost every negative stereotype of Eastern European hockey players and the Brits and North Americans don't like that.

Example. Rob Ray was the biggest rah rah guy in Sabre history. Fans loved him. Players loved. The franchise loved him. But to give him the C would be a joke.

There was nothing stopping Miro Standing up and saying "follow me and I will take you to the top" like you say a letter doesn't make you a leader, a true leader will show through no matter what.

A captain is someone who gets the teams respect through the way they carry themselves in every situation, works hard in every aspect and is good with the media and fans - which more often than not means they need to be confident people whose first language is English and are aware of how the media works.

As for players like Yzerman, Messier and Stevens earning their C's yes they have done but how many older guys are on the roster and how many guys that have been around the Sabres organisation for a long time have stepped up and made themselves the only option for captaincy?

Satan never showed himself to have characteristics of anyone like Yzerman, Messier or Stevens and he's not North American, he also never appeared to endear himself to his team mates or coaching staff how could anyone defend his appointment as permanent captain?

Sorry about the interuption,

but all this talk about Miro being gone and should he or shouldn't he have gotten the "C" made me think of a REALLY important question. Who are they going to get to sing the anthem on the days that it was Miro's girlfriend's (Ingrid Smolinska (sp?)) turn to sing the anthem. Hopefully it will be Henry, Doug, or one of the little kids they get every so often; I couldn't stand the Cher wannabe (... and the ROOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEETTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSS red GGGGGGGGLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRREEEEEEEE, ...).

Ingrid was actually pretty good and pretty hot (at least from my nosebleed seats).

Now back to your regularly scheduled argument. ...

Dave.

Guest SabresFan#1

LOL their you go again third liner now you bring up BUFFALO BILLS lol!!!!!

I thought this is hockey chat the 90's BILLS didnt win anything you make fun of the sabres THIRD LINER but yet bring up a superbowl loser?? You confuse me was it you like winners or losers???

Or let me guess you are one of those guys who says winning isn't everything?

So THIRD LINER since you like and stand up for SATAN tell me what has he done to be a leader????

THIRD LINER YOU SUCK

LOL their you go again third liner now you bring up BUFFALO BILLS lol!!!!!

I thought this is hockey chat the 90's BILLS didnt win anything you make fun of the sabres THIRD LINER but yet bring up a superbowl loser?? You confuse me was it you like winners or losers???

Or let me guess you are one of those guys who says winning isn't everything?

So THIRD LINER since you like and stand up for SATAN tell me what has he done to be a leader????

THIRD LINER YOU SUCK

When you're Sabres Fan #1 ? That would nmean everyone sucks because they can't be #1. You're #1 ;)

I can see you know as much about football as you do hockey. But football will have to wait. I can only teach you one sport at a time #1.

A captain is someone who gets the teams respect through the way they carry themselves in every situation, works hard in every aspect and is good with the media and fans - which more often than not means they need to be confident people whose first language is English and are aware of how the media works.

Tell that to Forsberg. Not to compare the two.

Dave is right though. This is getting tiresome. Let's agree to disagree.

Some don't like Satan.

I don't think anyone wearing the C now deserves it.

While I don't feel the season's over before it has begun like Deluca, he shouldn't have personal attacks against him either. If you don't agree with him, give evidence why you think he is wrong.

Namecalling is for those who for whatever reason, can't argue their point intelligently let alone successfully. Oh, trolls namecall too.

Archived