satan not missed by teammates?

Larry Playfair

from the Bflo news..

SABRES NOTEBOOK

Players seem happy Satan's moved on

By TIM GRAHAM

News Sports Reporter

9/13/2005

The Buffalo Sabres aren't merely willing to close the book on Miroslav Satan. They're looking forward to it.

The absence of the club's top scorer for six of the past seven seasons was a topic at the start of training camp Monday, and the general feeling was the streaky winger won't be missed.

The Sabres severed ties with Satan, making him an unrestricted free agent. He signed with the New York Islanders last month.

"To be honest with you, I just think it was time for Miro to move on," said Sabres center Daniel Briere. "Miro's a great hockey player, but I don't think he had any chemistry with the players that we have here."

Satan's style rubbed many of his former teammates the wrong way, and he often clashed with coach Lindy Ruff.

"His (player-coach) relationship ran into some stale points," said Sabres center Chris Drury, "and I think it was best for everybody that he got a fresh start."

Said Ruff: "There was frustration. You all know it. I know it. Nobody should accept losing, and there was games I thought certain players could've made a difference but didn't make a difference. I think he's looking forward to a fresh start. I think our team's looking forward to a fresh attitude."

ya know i thought he was pretty funny at times but didn't respect the team around him. i would have like to see him kept but in the least replaced by someone of equal caliber... now its up to vanek to do that job... i wouldn't have complained had he stayed a sabre but he was becoming pretty useless with his attitude towards staying here.

Whatever though good for him... goto the islanders and finish 9th or 10th. should be good times miro...

if he didnt have the internal respect of his teamates, then the posters saying he should have been captain dont know shi**. you dont become cpt simply by scoring the most goals.

when i hear this being said, I'm glad we didnt re-sign him. He scored some nice goals, but thats apparently all he added. I'd rather use that top FA money to sign someone who is respected by the team, the fans, plays both ways, and scores.

but.....the problem so far is that we didnt use the money for anything.

if he didnt have the internal respect of his teamates, then the posters saying he should have been captain dont know shi**. you dont become cpt simply by scoring the most goals.

when i hear this being said, I'm glad we didnt re-sign him.  He scored some nice goals, but thats apparently all he added. I'd rather use that top FA money to sign someone who is respected by the team, the fans, plays both ways, and scores.

Amen.

Dave.

when i hear this being said, I'm glad we didnt re-sign him. He scored some nice goals, but thats apparently all he added. I'd rather use that top FA money to sign someone who is respected by the team, the fans, plays both ways, and scores.

It's always better to give the 'C' to players who tow the company line :lol:

Anyone willing to bet that Satan will have more playoff goals this season then our two Captains combined? B-)

Hey THIRD LINER I will take that bet!!!!!

Briere and Drury will get more goals then SATAN!!!

THIRD LINER HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO BET???

EVEN IF NY GETS TO THE PLAYOFFS SATAN IS A FLOATER AND WILL GET NOTHING!!

Hey THIRD LINER I will take that bet!!!!!

Briere and Drury will get more goals then SATAN!!!

THIRD LINER HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO BET???

EVEN IF NY GETS TO THE PLAYOFFS SATAN IS A FLOATER AND WILL GET NOTHING!!

And how will you be getting me the money?

Satan will only need to score one.

how is that? Players who play according to our system, and for each other when it really counts are just company men? Ill take a team of those anyday. That is the sign of a team player willing to give his all for his team to succeed, with the potential to be cpt. You can find them on Calgary, who has only a few stars, or Columbus.

How does a cpt who floates back on backchecks, or skates hard only when he feels like, impact the team as a whole? If you played on a team, would you want your cpt floating back while your busting your ass?

Ding ....satan is gone!

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050916/1028226.asp

"In a team sport, it's so much about character, desire, determination and hard work. You have 20-something guys pulling one way and one or two guys pulling another way, it's a huge distraction," Drury said. "There was too much distraction stuff that took away from our year, you know, with the phone thing. It just got to be too much."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050916/1028226.asp

"In a team sport, it's so much about character, desire, determination and hard work. You have 20-something guys pulling one way and one or two guys pulling another way, it's a huge distraction," Drury said. "There was too much distraction stuff that took away from our year, you know, with the phone thing. It just got to be too much."

Considering Drury hasn't done a thing since he left Sakic and Forsberg he sure does talk alot.

And what exactly has Briere done? The guys 28 and has only played in 6 playoff games.

Shouldn't you have something on your resume before you try to talk down other players?

Yet? These are your Captains?

Considering Drury hasn't done a thing since he left Sakic and Forsberg he sure does talk alot.

And what exactly has Briere done? The guys 28 and has only played in 6 playoff games.

Shouldn't you have something on your resume before you try to talk down other players?

Yet? These are your Captains?

He had one less score than the Great Satan...

Man I wish the devil smilie was here...

:lol:

I can't say that I blame Satan for the last season or two performances with the attitude he has displayed. How frustrating is it for a player to play for a team that shows no desire to get better, all the while you are surrounded by mediocre players or players who have not lived up to potential, and a fan base that thinks because you are the 30-40 goal scorer on the team, it's your duty to pull all the weight.

Show me a goal scorer in this league that is not streaky. I'm sure he wanted out of Buffalo badly. The organization has done nothing to show it's fans or the players that they care about winning a championship in the past few years. Satan sounds like the kind of guy who is not alright with losing. So he did what he had to do to get out of Buffalo without speaking up and demanding a trade. Maybe he thought that was classier. It's easy for Briere and Drury to talk bad about him. How long have they been in Buffalo? Not long enough to be beaten down and have a hopeless feeling. Satan was there when the Sabres were robbed of a cup. It's got to be pretty disheartening to see the organization go down hill the way it did, as fast as it did, and look at the others. Most are already gone, why Miro is a bad guy for wanting out like the rest is beyond me. The guy was the top scorer on this team for several years, yet he receives more criticism than just about anybody on this team save Biron. With all that in mind, I'd want out too. Goodluck with the Islander's Satan, you're still my boy blue!

I can't say that I blame Satan for the last season or two performances with the attitude he has displayed.

He still looked selfish to me like when the Sabres were on a tear in the spring of '04 and he was looking to be traded. They almost made the playoffs and he's making cell phone calls... The year before was horrible, but no worse that what the Penguins went through. Mario not only didn't bail, he bought the team.

Good to see you back though!

He had one less score than the Great Satan...

Man I wish the devil smilie was here...

:lol:

One less goal then a player who "floated" all season?

Briere doesn't come close to Satan in the talent department. He's just a 28 year old who hasn't done anything but talk. He's going to lead this team? Lead them right out of the playoffs for a fourth straight year.

Anyone willing to bet that Satan will have more playoff goals this season then our two Captains combined? B-)

DeLuca, want any cheese with all that whine?

I've never come across a supposed fan of a team who has such a spectacular downer on the team he's allegedly supporting!

If the sun really does shine out of Satan's a-hole, why did the Sabres miss the playoffs these last few seasons when he was here to carry them to glory?

If Satan was such a saviour for this team (I'm surprised you don't want the mayor to give him the key to the city...) why didn't he use his unquestionable skill more often to help the team out?

Seriously man, sometimes you post some very valid points, but when you talk about giving someone who is not respected by his team mates the "C", there are more than a few of us on here who think you should be checked for noises. Briere is now the Sabres most productive forward (going on the last season's numbers) yet you still go on that he's not the man for the job.

You can bleat on about leadership from other players in the locker room all you like but it you have to face up to the fact that you're just plain wrong about it.

Let's be honest here, you'd still be moaning about something if the Sabres were hoisting the Cup in 9 months time. :rolleyes:

Last post was by me. :D

They won't be hoisting the cup in nine months nor any month that Regier is GM.

;)

What is there to positive about?

* A team that has missed the playoffs the past?

* A team that thought it better to let their 2 best players go?

* Doing nothing to replace those players?

* Having the GM go on the radio and proclaim the team goal as

"qualifing for revenue sharing".

If your looking for someone to be "just lucky to have a team", which Regier also refered to, then look somewhere else. When they start doing something positive then I'll start posting something positive. The only positive thing being said about the Sabres is wait till next year and see all the players they will sign. So many of you are willing to throw ANOTHER year away on Status Qou. I've been a Sabres Fan since the French Connection strolled around in bad suits. I lost my blind faith somewhere during the run of first round defeats. I think against the Nordiques.

IMO being a fan is like being a good friend. Sometimes you have to lay it out and say to your friend the girl is fugly. I don't like seeing my friends make mistakes so I'll say something. Just like my fav sports teams. When the girl is fugly the girl is fugly.

As far Satan vs Briere. It's simple. Briere will never be able to carry the offensive load of a franchise like Satan has. But as long as the locker room is happy who cares about the playoffs. Give me 20 guys who hate each other abd make the playoffs any day. We'll see what kind of leader Briere is. The test is the playoffs. Can he lead this team there? We'll see

<_<

Since you seem to have an absolute zero grasp of the concept of team chemistry and how that can affect a team's chances of winning anything, I guess we'll just have to leave that arguement right there.

And Satan led this team in the playoffs when exactly? I'll tell you when, SIX YEARS AGO! And even then, it was Peca who led this team, not your Slovak Idol.

I see your points that you made (over and over and over again on almost every single thread on this forum) about Regier and about not replacing the departed players, it's just a shame that your ego won't let you see beyond your own nose-end and take onboard other people's ideas.

:huh:

Since you seem to have an absolute zero grasp of the concept of team chemistry and how that can affect a team's chances of winning anything, I guess we'll just have to leave that arguement right there.

And Satan led this team in the playoffs when exactly? I'll tell you when, SIX YEARS AGO! And even then, it was Peca who led this team, not your Slovak Idol.

I see your points that you made (over and over and over again on almost every single thread on this forum) about Regier and about not replacing the departed players, it's just a shame that your ego won't let you see beyond your own nose-end and take onboard other people's ideas.

:huh:

What other idea's?

That the Sabres are going to sign a bunch of free agents next year?

That they will make the playoffs without any additions to the team?

That Teppo is better then Zhitnik?

That some 28 year old who hasn't done anything in the NHL is going to lead this team?

That a rookie is going to make up for Satan's scoring yet these same posters think he'll score 20 or hope he will?

All I see are complaints about my posts. I'm so negative? Take a closer look at the roster.

As far as "Team Chemistry"? It is what a franchise will pull out when they know they don't have the talent. The Sabres may not make the playoffs but at least they have "Team Chemistry" :lol:

Any other cliches you want to pull out?

All for one and one for all?

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few or the one?

i have to agree with DeLuca on most of these points... he's right... enough is enough already... we need some action in here... pre-season looks alright. but teams in pre-season rarly have there top guns out anyway so it means nothing... Vanek looks great... but you'll burn him out like Biron was after he was expected to take over Hasek's position... if Vanek is told to replace Satan they will burn him out and then he'll be Paul Guastad or he'll want out of here like Satan...

Briere however i think is a great player but not the leader you they make him out to be... id rather have drury in that position...

Vanek looks great... but you'll burn him out like Biron was after he was expected to take over Hasek's position... if Vanek is told to replace Satan they will burn him out and then he'll be Paul Guastad or he'll want out of here like Satan...

Comparing Vanek-Satan to Biron-Hasek is a bit of a stretch. Replacing Satan's production can come from a few different sources. Yes, Vanek is one of those, but they're also counting on Afinogenov, Briere, and others to step up. As for Hasek, there was only one guy who could even try to fill that gap... well, maybe Bob Essensa too. :rolleyes:

This doesn't even begin to acknowledge the fact that Hasek was one of, if not the greatest goalie of all time. You'll never find Satan in a list of the top 100 players of all time. One hole is a hell of a lot harder to fill than the other.

i have to agree with DeLuca on most of these points... he's right... enough is enough already... we need some action in here... pre-season looks alright. but teams in pre-season rarly have there top guns out anyway so it means nothing... Vanek looks great... but you'll burn him out like Biron was after he was expected to take over Hasek's position... if Vanek is told to replace Satan they will burn him out and then he'll be Paul Guastad or he'll want out of here like Satan...

Briere however i think is a great player but not the leader you they make him out to be... id rather have drury in that position...

I was expecting to see Vanek on the second line, but if he does play on the 1st line I am not worried about seeing him "burn out". This kid looks like a hockey player and had the NHL played last year, I believe he would have been with the Sabres during the 2nd half of the year.

I expect to see a lot of rookies around the league play well this year, as a lot of them would have been rookies last year and have gotten an additional year of seasoning in the AHL that they would not normally have had.

As for Briere, he works hard every night and was the team's leading scorer last time out. I don't know how vocal he is in the dressing room, but he can't be too much of a wall flower or he would not have been named co-captain.

As for Drury being in that position, he is. ;) :huh:

Dave.

Archived