Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

Maybe he wasn't ready but many of us thought Nylander's excellent preseason should have translated into a role with the Sabres. He seems to be regressing or reverting to Nylander of past seasons. I'm seriously worried we are getting into Marek Zagrapan territory here. 

Feel like he doesn't want to put in the effort in the AHL and feels like he belongs in the NHL

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

Maybe he wasn't ready but many of us thought Nylander's excellent preseason should have translated into a role with the Sabres. He seems to be regressing or reverting to Nylander of past seasons. I'm seriously worried we are getting into Marek Zagrapan territory here. 

:(

How have Guhle and Borgen looked?  I feel like neither guy is getting any attention because Pilut is all the rage in the AHL and Dahlin is the young Sabres defenseman we're all crazy about.

18 minutes ago, Robviously said:

:(

How have Guhle and Borgen looked?  I feel like neither guy is getting any attention because Pilut is all the rage in the AHL and Dahlin is the young Sabres defenseman we're all crazy about.

Nice problems to have. Its been a real looooong  time since any Amerks players were the talk of the league.

55 minutes ago, Robviously said:

?

They need time. Especially Borgen. He's mostly unnoticed (a good thing for a defensive defenseman). Guhle hasn't looked like the player that played in Buffalo early on. He's making a lot of mental errors and seems to be thinking too much instead of using that magical gift of skating he has. 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Smith is the guy I want up first if they’re looking to get shakeup in Buffalo.

The insistence on Thompson being there instead of Smith is puzzling. It would be nice if there was transparency to the situation. PHam said Thompson was practicing as a defenseman at the last practice he attended. I have to assume it was just a numbers thing but what's going on here Phil?

38 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Nice problems to have. Its been a real looooong  time since any Amerks players were the talk of the league.

Definitely not complaining. :)

1 minute ago, inkman said:

They need time. Especially Borgen. He's mostly unnoticed (a good thing for a defensive defenseman). Guhle hasn't looked like the player that played in Buffalo early on. He's making a lot of mental errors and seems to be thinking too much instead of using that magical gift of skating he has. 

Thanks.  And I'm happy they'll get the time they need.  If they each get a full season in Rochester this year to log lots of minutes and play in a lot of different situations, that's probably best for them long-term.

I haven't been this optimistic about the Sabres pipeline on defense in years.  Dahlin might already be our best defenseman, we've got Pilut, Guhle, and Borgen developing in Rochester, and Oskari Laaksonen is off to a spectacular start in Finland's top league this year.  Plus we have Samuelsson, who isn't a super exciting player, but should have an NHL future.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Smith is the guy I want up first if they’re looking to get shakeup in Buffalo.

Me too.  I'd be thrilled if they swapped CJ Smith and Tage Thompson immediately.  

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

The insistence on Thompson being there instead of Smith is puzzling. It would be nice if there was transparency to the situation. PHam said Thompson was practicing as a defenseman at the last practice he attended. I have to assume it was just a numbers thing but what's going on here Phil?

Jesus Christ. 

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

It's really not. He's Botterill's guy and Smith isn't. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's really not. He's Botterill's guy and Smith isn't. 

If you're GMJB, at some point you realize that the key asset you got back in the ROR trade looks better tearing it up in the AHL this season than he does as a healthy scratch or completely ineffective player here in the NHL.  And I thought keeping guys in the minors longer was part of his strategy?

So the Amerks travel for another matchup vs Hersey. This time it’s a 4-1 win with Wilcox in net. Goals - Porter(1) Redmond(2) and D. Smith(1). Assists - Borgen(1), Simpson(1), CJ(1), Cornel(1) and Pilut(1).   

Cornel has been good this year after a very meh last season. Dalton Smith is my biggest surprise this year. Dude is crushing everyone he checks and putting up some points. 

Definitely in the "things only Amerks fans care about (Cornel and Dalton) as they have no NHL future". Good to hear none the less. I'd like to get a vet or two that is an Amerks for a while (maybe Redmond fits that by now). I guess Porter as well. Regardless, I like this team and mix of vets, propects, skill and toughness. They haven't had it since Pominville was an Amerk with Roy, Paille, Gaustad, Thorburn, Vanek and Miller. Oh BTW Botterill and Taylor (Amerks head coach) we're on that team. 

Nylander had a good game. He dished up a couple big hits and set up the second goal, crashing into Pasquale in the process. He was then savagely attacked by Andreoff. Right on top of him throwing lefts and rights. The bum got a 12 min misconduct. I like how the whole team responded. These guys look like a well prepared and close unit. Having a good time and communicating a lot on the bench and on the ice. It’s refreshing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.