Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Ogre said:

Fun game. I think this is the second time in the last three that the Amerks have had 50+ SOG.

Fun crowd as well. There was a good effort to start the wave at one point.

Indeed.  Drank my face off as I went with co-workers but it was awesome. I wouldn't count out O'Regan as a prospect yet. He plays fast. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

Indeed.  Drank my face off as I went with co-workers but it was awesome. I wouldn't count out O'Regan as a prospect yet. He plays fast. 

Yes, he stood out.  CJ Smith stood out.  When I saw Nylander, I thought he looked engaged - not sure if it was his teammates not able to stay with him or if he simply wasn't able to make work what he was trying to do, but he did have energy. 

I thought some of the D wasn't bad.  I have no experience with the AHL to measure against, but it looked like we have some players who could be useful in the NHL.

14 minutes ago, ... said:

Yes, he stood out.  CJ Smith stood out.  When I saw Nylander, I thought he looked engaged - not sure if it was his teammates not able to stay with him or if he simply wasn't able to make work what he was trying to do, but he did have energy. 

I thought some of the D wasn't bad.  I have no experience with the AHL to measure against, but it looked like we have some players who could be useful in the NHL.

I think O'Regan, Nylander, Olofsson, and CJ all have a chance for a call up this season 

7 hours ago, inkman said:

I think O'Regan, Nylander, Olofsson, and CJ all have a chance for a call up this season 

I've only been able to catch about 20 games or so with this ahltv package Ink. Question for you guys who have seen them more, are guys like O'Regan and Smith potential NHL roster players, even if only bottom 6 roles?

Also, it looks like O'Regan has speed, does he bring that hustle and speed every game?

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Some or all should have been called up already.  

Jbott is a big believer in developing guys in the A.  I’m also fine with this approach.  I want to make the playoffs bad but jbot is smart to be looking a year or two out.

46 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I've only been able to catch about 20 games or so with this ahltv package Ink. Question for you guys who have seen them more, are guys like O'Regan and Smith potential NHL roster players, even if only bottom 6 roles?

Also, it looks like O'Regan has speed, does he bring that hustle and speed every game?

He definitely skates hard and fast.  Seems like he finally has some linemates that can use it.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ogelthorpe said:

Anyone know why Johannson was called up from Cincy and in net?

http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2018/12/05/amerks-addressing-the-details-jonas-johansson-called-up/

Goaltender Jonas Johansson was called up from Cincinnati to Rochester this week which came as a surprise. Scott Wedgewood and Adam Wilcox are both at 100% health and capable of playing. Johansson had said it was a welcome surprise to him and he was immediately on a plane and in Rochester for practices. Chris Taylor addressed the reason for the call up saying, “He’s playing well, just wanted to see what he could do, get a rotation in and see what happens. He’s a bright future in this organization so we just wanted to reward him by bringing him up.” The move wasn’t made as a way of sending a message to Wedgewood or Wilcox that they are at risk of losing games. The coaching staff and management wanted to get him a high level of practice to see where he’s at right now. The organization continues to stress internal competition and making sure everybody is on their toes. Johansson said he hadn’t talked to the coaches as of Tuesday afternoon about the plan for him but he’s aware of the possibilities. He said, “It’s nice to see that guys are making it, guys are doing really well, so why shouldn’t I be doing that well?” There are no plans for additional moves from Cincinnati any time soon at other positions to try and spark some offense.

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

'The move wasn't made as a way of sending a message to wedgewood and Wilcox that they are at risk of losing games.'. LOL

This. Goaltending needs to be better, and Johansen needs to show he still has potential as a prospect.

Win all the way around and an example of the depth creating competition Botts has preached since day one.

3 hours ago, Derrico said:

Jbott is a big believer in developing guys in the A.  I’m also fine with this approach.  I want to make the playoffs bad but jbot is smart to be looking a year or two out.

Developing in the A doesn’t mean don’t call up deserving players when the opportunity arises.  Opportunity doesn’t always mean waiting for an injury in  Buffalo.  It’s important to see how they react to the NHL and it’s also important to replace ineffective NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Developing in the A doesn’t mean don’t call up deserving players when the opportunity arises.  Opportunity doesn’t always mean waiting for an injury in  Buffalo.  It’s important to see how they react to the NHL and it’s also important to replace ineffective NHL.

Have heard Botts say on multiple occasions that he prefers to be bringing guys up when they are “ready to stay,” as opposed to “giving them a look” because of weaknesses on the big club.

Pilut and Ullmark seem to be supporting evidence of this. Smith and Guhle were injury replacements who got sent down as soon as the injuries healed.

Not saying I disagree with you. I am saying our GM is being consistent with his stated plan of developing talent “the right way,” something that is counter to what we’ve seen here for most of this decade.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Have heard Botts say on multiple occasions that he prefers to be bringing guys up when they are “ready to stay,” as opposed to “giving them a look” because of weaknesses on the big club.

Pilut and Ullmark seem to be supporting evidence of this. Smith and Guhle were injury replacements who got sent down as soon as the injuries healed.

Not saying I disagree with you. I am saying our GM is being consistent with his stated plan of developing talent “the right way,” something that is counter to what we’ve seen here for most of this decade.

It’s kind of the chicken or egg thing.  How do you know if someone is “ready to stay” if they don’t get a look? Pilut is a special case as he had years of pro experience in and AHL quality league before he came to NA?

Ullmark had played 26 games in the NHL before becoming the 1B this season.

Guhle already has 23 NHL games under his belt.  I think those have given Jbot the info he needs to evaluate him. I’m sorry but until Jbot sees Olofsson in the NHL and playing on the correct line, I don’t think he’ll have an accurate picture of where he is. 

13 hours ago, inkman said:

I think I walked into the Amerks store right behind you guys. Next time I see you and you’re not with an entourage I’ll say hi and we’ll grab a beer...

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Yeh Wedgewood has been hot garbage lately.

Which is too bad because he stood on his head for quite a stretch.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This. Goaltending needs to be better, and Johansen needs to show he still has potential as a prospect.

Win all the way around and an example of the depth creating competition Botts has preached since day one.

Truth. Drafted players will know they have to work their nuts off and show how badly they want it.

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s kind of the chicken or egg thing.  How do you know if someone is “ready to stay” if they don’t get a look? Pilut is a special case as he had years of pro experience in and AHL quality league before he came to NA?

Guhle already has 23 NHL games under his belt.  I think those have given Jbot the info he needs to evaluate him. I’m sorry but until Jbot sees Olofsson in the NHL and playing on the correct line, I don’t think he’ll have an accurate picture of where he is. 

They go the way Pilut went. Don’t mope around because you’re in Rochester(or Cincinnati). You act like a pro and work your balls off every day.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You never know, but you look for your players to meet a certain standard, including excelling in your role over an extended period of time at the AHL level and showing sustained improvement in those areas that initially kept you out of the NHL.

PUllmark came up when he showed he could perform as a true #1 over an extended period - 100 games - in the AHL. Pilut came up when he showed he was Bobby Orr at the AHL level and wasn’t bothered by the increased size and tight quarters.

I’ve mentioned before that management seems to have deliberately put some adversity in front of Nylander, a player that has been entitled all his hockey career. I bet they want Olofsson to show he can be capable in other areas of the game besides shooting and Guhle to be more trustworthy with the puck.

I like the idea of giving players goals to hit and rewarding them when they do, and not before - essentially putting long-term development of the player ahead of short-term needs in Buffalo. I wonder if players like Girgorenko, Girgensons, Zadorov and Ristolainen would have benefited?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

I think I walked into the Amerks store right behind you guys. Next time I see you and you’re not with an entourage I’ll say hi and we’ll grab a beer...

I was ready to drop significant coin for one of those polar bear jerseys but none in the team store. Only game worn in the auction after the game which for several reasons I couldn't make. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.