Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Caught the 1st period, it was still 0 - 0, they didn't look great but the 10 minutes or so I caught isn't enough to see any glaring mistakes.

Are they slipping on finishing, defensively, netminding?

I’m not sure they’re slipping at all. They have 7 wins in October and 6 wins in November. They are 6-3-1 in the past 10 games. They scored 4 goals in the 3 games prior to the last 2 where they scored 1 goal and no goals.

To put that in perspective, they lost the first 2 games of the season scoring 2 goals in each.   The other 4 regulation losses are evenly spaced in the season. There’s 4 games all year with 2 goals, one with 1 goal and one shutout loss. The rest of the games had 3 or more goals. 

I’m guessing opinions are being based on knee jerk reactions to a loss coupled with a surging Crunch, who are 8-0-2 in the P10 and are gaining on us. It’s not an objective way to judge their performance...IMO of course.?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

They’ve gone through a 3/3/1 stretch in the past three weeks. Before that they were 10/3/1.

Why do you think the past three weeks is the true reflection of the team?

I think they’re somewhere in between the team in October and the one recently. I have 3 main issues. They don’t have a number 1 center. That’s very obvious. Criscuolo and Porter in the top 6 just doesn’t cut it. They are ideally your 2C and 3C. Asplund is a good player overall, but he doesn’t contribute offensively. Hopefully they’ll acquire a 1C at some point this season. 

Goaltending is another issue, though Wedgewood played well this weekend. They’ve both been inconsistent and they need more. I think Wedgewood will be good enough but he needs to play more. 

Special teams. The power play has been flat out abysmal for a long time. That goes back to the lack of a playmaking center. Redmond and Pilut can’t do it all and the league has already made adjustments on Olofsson. The latter has been way less effective recently once the league got some video on him. As for the PK, it’s been awful since the season started.  

Overall they’re a good team, just not as good as people might have thought after their hot start. I think Syracuse will easily pass them over the next few weeks for first place. The Amerks are probably the 2nd or 3rd place team in the division when all is said and done. 

Sexton clearly set expectations high in preseason when he said they should compete for a championship. I think they deserve to be held to that standard. And it’s been almost a month since they’ve been playing well. It’s mlre than just a few bad games. 

Edited by Amerks8796

35 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I think they’re somewhere in between the team in October and the one recently. I have 3 main issues. They don’t have a number 1 center. That’s very obvious. Criscuolo and Porter in the top 6 just doesn’t cut it. They are ideally your 2C and 3C. Asplund is a good player overall, but he doesn’t contribute offensively. Hopefully they’ll acquire a 1C at some point this season. 

Goaltending is another issue, though Wedgewood played well this weekend. They’ve both been inconsistent and they need more. I think Wedgewood will be good enough but he needs to play more. 

Special teams. The power play has been flat out abysmal for a long time. That goes back to the lack of a playmaking center. Redmond and Pilut can’t do it all and the league has already made adjustments on Olofsson. The latter has been way less effective recently once the league got some video on him. As for the PK, it’s been awful since the season started.  

Overall they’re a good team, just not as good as people might have thought after their hot start. I think Syracuse will easily pass them over the next few weeks for first place. The Amerks are probably the 2nd or 3rd place team in the division when all is said and done. 

Sexton clearly set expectations high in preseason when he said they should compete for a championship. I think they deserve to be held to that standard. And it’s been almost a month since they’ve been playing well. It’s mlre than just a few bad games. 

I’m trying to understand your point of view here. Let’s use a ten game block to make our case rather than almost measurements. Coincidentally that ten game block brings us to little more than a month.  

Last ten they have 5 reg wins, 1 OT win and 1 OT loss for 13 pts. 

The previous eleven games(which brings us all the way back to game 1) they have 5 reg wins, 2 OT wins and 1 OT loss for 15 pts.

How is 2 less points in 1 less game a sign of demise?  I get that your not happy with the team, I just don’t understand why. The only game they weren’t in all year was that 9-4 loss to Springfield and that one didn’t run away until well into the second period.

As far as the Amerks acquiring a number 1 center... it ain't happening... show me any minor league team with a number 1 center and I'll show you a parent team that is losing...  Any number 1 center in the minors at this point would be playing in the NHL, maybe not as a center... but definitely up with the big club. Gotta be really rare for a number 1 center to stay long in the minors.... maybe a late bloomer.

We visited this stat already but it seems like a good portrayal of the on ice performance that I think shows the organizational commitment to winning. 

We are at 22 games played.

First 11 games- 5 reg wins, 2 OT wins and 1 OT loss for 15 pts.

Next 11 games- 6 reg wins, 1 OT win and 1 OT loss for.....

wait for it....

15pts. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.