Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

Guhle struggled on D again. Loses the puck and takes a stupid tripping penalty trying to recover.

Borgen played like an animal and is growing his game all the time. Plays tough...physically. He wears guys down. Took his man into the boards hard and drew penalty on the retaliation. Had another bone rattling hit later on. He’s learning good lessons from McWilliams at keeping the crease clear. He’s my pick over any of the others.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Guhle struggled on D again. Loses the puck and takes a stupid tripping penalty trying to recover.

Borgen played like an animal and is growing his game all the time. Plays tough...physically. He wears guys down. Took his man into the boards hard and drew penalty on the retaliation. Had another bone rattling hit later on. He’s learning good lessons from McWilliams at keeping the crease clear. He’s my pick over any of the others.

And he's a right shot! Could be Dahlin's future partner if we are lucky. Would seem to be a perfect partner for him stylistically as well. 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I was there tonight. Great game. 

Won free chili, won a free donut and coffee, and won a burrito. And caught a shirt.

Oh and the Olafsson hatter and two shorties and 7-1 win were cool. 

Chili, Coffee, Donut, Burrito...  that makes a bad morning.  ?

14 hours ago, Ogre said:

Thanks for all the updates, mucho importante!! 

50 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Olofsson is more then ready.  Time for a call up.

Two of his goals last night where one timers from the hash mark with a puck dished from behind the goal line... all around they were good plays that took more than one skilled player to execute...I just hope folks don’t get disappointed if he doesn’t have the same results in Buffalo.

If he is called up, he needs to play with guys that can set him up...Phil....are you listening?

2 hours ago, Ogre said:

Two of his goals last night where one timers from the hash mark with a puck dished from behind the goal line... all around they were good plays that took more than one skilled player to execute...I just hope folks don’t get disappointed if he doesn’t have the same results in Buffalo.

If he is called up, he needs to play with guys that can set him up...Phil....are you listening?

This is true, and I actually think this shouldn't be too much of a problem, provided, as you alluded to, Phil doesn't stick him on the 4th line or something.

If the forwards have a strength as a whole it's playmaking, and are much shorter on finish. With Eichel, Reinhart, and Mittelstadt all being pass-first players, I think Olofsson has a shot to fit right in.

If it’s any consolation for the Sabres woes, the Amerks got 4 of 6 points this weekend and still lead the division, though Syracuse and Utica are right on their tail. And in the ECHL, Cincinnati has the most points in the league, and have scored the most goals while giving up the least goals against. I’d expect one or both goalies, Johansson and Houser, to be in Rochester next season. Wedgewood and Wilcox are not NHL prospects and are just placeholders.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

If it’s any consolation for the Sabres woes, the Amerks got 4 of 6 points this weekend and still lead the division, though Syracuse and Utica are right on their tail. And in the ECHL, Cincinnati has the most points in the league, and have scored the most goals while giving up the least goals against. I’d expect one or both goalies, Johansson and Houser, to be in Rochester next season. Wedgewood and Wilcox are not NHL prospects and are just placeholders.

UPL and Johansson will make Roch champs next year.

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

I’d be surprised if they don’t have a veteran goalie on the team next year. Young goalies are way too unpredictable in the AHL. The transition can be long and difficult. They’ll have someone there to work UPL in slowly. Johansson has never played well in the AHL beyond a few games and his ECHL numbers are pretty average. 

2 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’d be surprised if they don’t have a veteran goalie on the team next year. Young goalies are way too unpredictable in the AHL. The transition can be long and difficult. They’ll have someone there to work UPL in slowly. Johansson has never played well in the AHL beyond a few games and his ECHL numbers are pretty average. 

It is kind of amusing though to picture the team going with only a combination of three goalies with zero AHL experience.  To suggest that those guys are the Amerks future is to completely ignore the process they've been going through to rebuild that organization.  I suppose it's nice that Cincinnati is winning, but it has very little to do with the Sabre organization as a whole.  There are two people on that team who have contracts with the Sabres.  Some might be on AHL contracts, but probably over half of those guys are signed by the ECHL team.

I look at it as a couple of the Amerks could make the Sabres next season, and a couple of Cincy players could make the Amerks next season. So they’re backfilling with players who have been on successful minor league teams to keep up the level of competition and the experience of winning. That’s what JBotts said he wanted to duplicate from his Penguins experience.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.