Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

For those who haven’t been paying attention, the Amerks are second overall in the AHL with 55 points, nine back of dominant Charlotte.

But there are 12 teams that have 50 points or more, so that hold on 2nd is tenuous.

Zack Remond leads the team and is 16th in the league with 39 points and leads the team with 19 goals. Smith is right behind him with 38.

O’Regan with 17 and Smith with 16 are flirting with the top 30 in goal scoring.

For some reason, Olofsson isn’t considered a rookie, but his 14/23/37 is 27th in the league and 2 behind the league’s highest scoring rookie.

People like to talk about  Nylander being in his first pro season had he followed a normal development path. His 8/16/24 totals would put him just outside the top 20 for rookies.

Brendan Guhle’s 20 points put him 37th among defencemen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

You never know, but you look for your players to meet a certain standard, including excelling in your role over an extended period of time at the AHL level and showing sustained improvement in those areas that initially kept you out of the NHL.

That is what gets them the call up.  Last season Jbot himself said but for the injury that Smith had earned a recall.  I'm curious as to what is different this season, especially with so many forwards struggling and the departure of Berglund.

He got a call up... lack of injuries on forward lines imo has prevented it and few guys that can go down without having to clear waivers.  Most of the guys you normally want to send down Sobotka, KO, Ellie, Sheary at times, and D guys would need clear waivers.  Not sure that JBots wants toxicity in the AHL either

It seems like a lot of folks around here are hell bent on reveling in misery so I really hate to be the bearer of good news but...Amerks win Friday night. Amerks win again tonight. Johansson with a 34 save performance which I am very encouraged by!

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, Ogre said:

It seems like a lot of folks around here are hell bent on reveling in misery so I really hate to be the bearer of good news but...Amerks win Friday night. Amerks win again tonight. Johansson with a 34 save performance which I am very encouraged by!

It would be nice if the team was seemingly being led by a higher quantity of more-likely-to-be NHers, more specifically at forward, but all the same, so far so good where their record is concerned in the second half. They fell off a cliff after a strong start last season, and this year look to be far more consistent. That's good to see.

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Ogre said:

Randy Sexton mentioned that UPL will be reporting to Rochester once his season in Sudbury is complete and he might get a game of two. The goaltending future is looking bright. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/2/2019 at 9:33 PM, Ogre said:

Has Johansson stayed up with the Amerks after getting his first start a few weeks ago? How has he looked so far?

2 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

Has Johansson stayed up with the Amerks after getting his first start a few weeks ago? How has he looked so far?

He has only started a couple times but has looked pretty good. A lot better than his last call up and way better than what he showed when Ullmark was injured last year.

Wedgewood has been a scratch since Jonas came up but I don’t know what’s behind that. They said that Jonas was just getting a look but I don’t get why they’re sitting Wedgewood over Wilcox...

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ogre said:

He has only started a couple times but has looked pretty good. A lot better than his last call up and way better than what he showed when Ullmark was injured last year.

Wedgewood has been a scratch since Jonas came up but I don’t know what’s behind that. They said that Jonas was just getting a look but I don’t get why they’re sitting Wedgewood over Wilcox...

Wedgewood was hurt. 

7 minutes ago, Ogre said:

What is the injury?  I could swear I read somewhere that Sexton said he was fine and they were just getting a look at Jonas...

I must be confusing articles.

You’re confusing call ups. This one was for an injury. This organization acts like the CIA when it comes to injuries, so no one knows what it was. 

On 1/26/2019 at 11:51 AM, inkman said:

http://www.letsgoamerks.com/2018/12/05/amerks-addressing-the-details-jonas-johansson-called-up/

Goaltender Jonas Johansson was called up from Cincinnati to Rochester this week which came as a surprise. Scott Wedgewood and Adam Wilcox are both at 100% health and capable of playing. Johansson had said it was a welcome surprise to him and he was immediately on a plane and in Rochester for practices. Chris Taylor addressed the reason for the call up saying, “He’s playing well, just wanted to see what he could do, get a rotation in and see what happens. He’s a bright future in this organization so we just wanted to reward him by bringing him up.” The move wasn’t made as a way of sending a message to Wedgewood or Wilcox that they are at risk of losing games. The coaching staff and management wanted to get him a high level of practice to see where he’s at right now. The organization continues to stress internal competition and making sure everybody is on their toes. Johansson said he hadn’t talked to the coaches as of Tuesday afternoon about the plan for him but he’s aware of the possibilities. He said, “It’s nice to see that guys are making it, guys are doing really well, so why shouldn’t I be doing that well?” There are no plans for additional moves from Cincinnati any time soon at other positions to try and spark some offense.

I knew it! This is where I saw it. This was right after Wedgewood had a couple of real stinkers. 

So now they’re saying injury??

32 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I knew it! This is where I saw it. This was right after Wedgewood had a couple of real stinkers. 

So now they’re saying injury??

Am I missing something? That article is from 2 months ago. I don’t doubt he has an injury this time around. He wasn’t practicing. 

44 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Am I missing something? That article is from 2 months ago. I don’t doubt he has an injury this time around. He wasn’t practicing. 

Ok....that’s the call up in December when he didn’t play then...I’m understanding where my confusion comes from now....

JC would it hurt these guys to release a tidbit of info here and there? Just for the sake of curious fans?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.