Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Botterill and Sexton look at the entire picture. I doubt they call up Olofsson immediately because he had a good week. He has aspects of his game that needs work still. 

Let him thrive for a while.  You can build up a confidence machine if he can continue on this path.

8 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Botterill and Sexton look at the entire picture. I doubt they call up Olofsson immediately because he had a good week. He has aspects of his game that needs work still. 

Same could be said for quite a few guys on the big club, but yeah I wouldn't rush him up... he's having success and building confidence, bring him up later in the year for a look.

43 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Why not call him up and give him a look, especially if Thompson continues to produce nothing offensively?

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If Thompson is send down, CJ Smith is the most logical call up 

Olofsson is playing RW in Roch.  He is the most logical replacement for RW Thompson.  

Also so please note that the Sabres offense is actually more anemic YTD then last season.  The Sabres have 11 goals in 5 games.  That’s 180 goals for the season.  Olofsson is a goal scorer pure and simple. Something the Sabres really lack.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 hours ago, shrader said:

Let him thrive for a while.  You can build up a confidence machine if he can continue on this path.

He was the SHL goal leader last season, I don't worry about his confidence. 

Olof needs time to fully adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL. I wonder if he'll make it in the NHL or will bounce back and forth. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Olof needs time to fully adjust to the speed and strength of the NHL. I wonder if he'll make it in the NHL or will bounce back and forth. 

Given his skill set lies in his shot I think he'll be fine

20 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Given his skill set lies in his shot I think he'll be fine

Interesting that you say this and I agree but.....

you would think that his shot would come more into play on the PP but he has 3 goals and they are ALL at even strength. He has 5 assists on the PP which shows he can be a play-maker too (or used as a decoy). Timely goals, as 2 of his 3g are GW.

Yes, he should be fine.

The release on his OT goal yesterday was special.    You don't see that too often.   Got it off so quick the goalie didn't even move, the defenseman couldn't event get his stick on the puck... before anybody knew it, bang, post and in.     There's plenty of guys that can shoot hard and accurate but they need time and space which Olofsson needs very little of.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's not exactly a predictor of NHL success.  The success over there means absolutely nothing if you can't build him up properly over here.  He wouldn't be the first or last guy to be confident overseas but then never have it transition to North America.  If he can find that extended period of success over here at the AHL level, then the kid knows that his game can carry over.  So yeah, it's not about how confident he might be now, it's about building on that and making him something greater.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I agree it is on building him up to be better but I don't think confidence is the key there. I think strength and NHL conditioning is. His shot will translate but the little things need to be brought along. 

Yeah, I don't mean to suggest it's the key thing, but it all adds together.  It's so early right now, but I can't remember the last time we had a young guy start off immediately at the top of the AHL.  Hopefully he can sustain this beyond just one week because it's one hell of a luxury to have a legit professional project waiting in the wings.  That's the kind of thing that moves a team out of the dregs of the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.