Rochester Americans 2018-19

Brawndo

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

So, based on Sabre contracts and waiver eligibility, the Amerks could look something like this:

Smith Criscuolo Thompson

Olofsson Asplund Nylander

Oglevie Malone O’Regan

Cornel Porter Pu

Guhle Borgen

Pilut Fedun

Hickey Tennyson

Wedgewood Johansson

Also in the system or signed to AHL deals: Glotov, Karabacek, Stephens, Martin, Wilcox, Randall, McWilliam, Paetsch, Redmond, Dalton Smith, Atwal

Deepest group of legitimate prospects in a while,  no?

Overstuffed on D, but they could use a veteran forward.

I’d think Bailey or Baptiste will be down. Both aren’t making Buffalo. You’re missing Redmond on D who will definitely be in the top 4. Hickey will probably have to earn his way into the lineup. MacWilliam is a very, very good defenseman and deserves to play initially. Also, Wilcox will be the backup. 

Edited by Amerks8796

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’d think Bailey or Baptiste will be down. Both aren’t making Buffalo. You’re missing Redmond on D who will definitely be in the top 4. Hickey will probably have to earn his way into the lineup. MacWilliam is a very, very good defenseman and deserves to play initially. Also, Wilcox will be the backup. 

That was more of a Sabres depth chart for call-ups than a starting lineup for Rochester. And it’s based on a 24-man Sabres roster, so if we are healthy it will mean at least one more player being sent down.

Bailey and Baptiste or others might end up getting beat out for jobs in Buffalo, but they are waiver eligible so they get a slight head start. Redmond is there and is definitely going to play a ton in Rochester, but he’s on an AHL contract. McWilliam too.

I like the fact those two and Fedun and Tennyson and Paetsch give us great depth. But given the fact Hunwick and Nelson and Beaulieu will be battling for the number 6 role in Buffalo, there might be too many bodies, even after Bogosian gets injured. I guess it will force the cream to rise to the top, but I hope it doesn’t hurt the development of the Hickeys and the Borgens.

Scandella Ristolainen

Dahlin Bogosian

McCabe Nelson

Beaulieu

Hunwick

Guhle Redmond

Pilut Fedun 

McWilliam Tennyson

Paetsch Borgen

Hickey Atwal

Stephens

Martin

I’ll give a ROC lineup a crack...

Smith - Criscuolo - O’Regan

Olofsson - Porter - Bailey/Baptiste

Cornel - Malone - Nylander

Ogelvie - Asplund - Pu

Hunwick - Redmond

Pilut - Fedun

Hickey - Borgen

Man, there’s a big logjam on defense. I took the conservative approach with most of the new names but expect/hope they’re higher in the lineup.

19 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I have no idea who McWilliam is.  I would hope the braintrust knows that Borgen needs to be getting regular playing time in Roch.

The organization’s position on prospects since Day 1 seems to have been “earn it.” That’s why they’ve collected all these defensemen.

Personally, I think they’ve got one player too many. I hope a Tennyson/Hunwick/Beaulieu gets plucked off the waiver wire to be some depth-challenged team’s number 7.

Edited by dudacek

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The organization’s position on prospects since Day 1 seems to have been “earn it.” That’s why they’ve collected all these defensemen.

Personally, I think they’ve got one player too many. I hope a Tennyson/Hunwick/Beaulieu gets plucked off the waiver wire to be some depth-challenged team’s number 7.

I completely agree with the 'earn it' type mentality, especially for the big club.  But prospects (especially guys going into their first year as a professional) better be playing every night down on the farm.  I don't need Matt Tennyson on whatever AHL lifer vet taking his ice time down there.

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

I completely agree with the 'earn it' type mentality, especially for the big club.  But prospects (especially guys going into their first year as a professional) better be playing every night down on the farm.  I don't need Matt Tennyson on whatever AHL lifer vet taking his ice time down there.

Depends on the prospect. If it’s a high pick type player like Nylander they’ll be given every opportunity to play. Borgen will be in the top 6. Hickey? Remains to be seen. He’ll have to earn his spot. 

• 3 weeks later...

If you count guys like Thompson and Baptiste, it feels like the Amerks must have 35 players to choose from this year.

The Sabres have 49 guys under contract once they sign Reinhart, plus at least a half-dozen signed to Amerk contracts.

Edited by dudacek

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I would expect several players to get waived or traded before we start the season. Probably 2-4 guys. 

Well yes, players will be waived like Bailey, Fedun, Tennyson etc. but I wouldn’t at all expect any big names from the Sabres to be on the waiver wire. I could see a trade, but the depth they’ve built up is a good thing, not something to tear down. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

By the end of september, if It doesn't look good for Baptiste/Bailey in a top 9 spot.  I expect our gm to see for trade partners.

But also think we'll be seeing a trade before that, we have to much of the same.   I can see a 3 for  1 deal coming soon.

Why? I’m not sure why people hold opinions like this. Players like them are littered all over the AHL. They usually clear waivers and get sent down. It’s valuable depth you don’t want to just give away. They wouldn’t bring back any type return. 

6 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

Why? I’m not sure why people hold opinions like this. Players like them are littered all over the AHL. They usually clear waivers and get sent down. It’s valuable depth you don’t want to just give away. They wouldn’t bring back any type return. 

While Bailey and Baptiste have slid down the prospect ladder in many eyes, they are still assets that aren't going to be put through waivers unless the org has just given up on them. So if we see them in Rochester, they are done with the Sabres. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

While Bailey and Baptiste have slid down the prospect ladder in many eyes, they are still assets that aren't going to be put through waivers unless the org has just given up on them. So if we see them in Rochester, they are done with the Sabres. 

I’m 90 per cent there. The 10 per cent is someone like Thompson or Asplund is just too good in camp to cut.

I am going to be very surprised if we open the season without trading at least one of Bailey, Baptiste Girgensons, Larsson, Wilson, Sobotka, Beaulieu, McCabe, Nelson or Hunwick for mid- to late-round pick.

Also, if somebody actually gets picked up on waivers, I’m going to take it as a positive; it means for the first time in years one of our worst players is actually better than another team’s worst players.

Edited by dudacek

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

WOW....without the players that are still up in Buffalo, the line-up looks pretty bad

.http://www.amerks.com/article/AMERKS ANNOUNCE 2018 TRAINING CAMP ROSTER

Lol.  With 43 players still in Buffalo, what did you expect?  With a little luck, that 20 additional players for the Amerks.  That means the majority of the guys in the AHL camp are bound for the ECHL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.