Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

Morgan Rielly yells homophonic slur at ref: https://streamable.com/degx4

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

The news just says that the NHL will be investigating the alleged use of a homophobic slur during the Leafs/Lightning game but wouldnt say who or even what team the player was on that used it. Makes sense that it would be a Leaf and they would be trying to deflect from that.

Everything I hear is a Tampa player yelling "rag it rag it rag it" from his bench.  Apparently (TIL) , "rag it" is an instruction to kill time with the puck in the offensive zone while on the PK.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

That is now what people/Leafs fans are saying, that Reily may have said a certain word starting with an F, ending with a uck, while others were yelling Rag it......

That's what I heard.  Just another normal shift in the NHL.  If they legislate swearing out of the NHL, the game would grind to a halt with an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty every 30 seconds.

51 minutes ago, Tondas said:

That's what I heard.  Just another normal shift in the NHL.  If they legislate swearing out of the NHL, the game would grind to a halt with an Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty every 30 seconds.

The f in Rielly's word (which will not be legislated out of the NHL) and the "rag it" shouted from the Tampa bench combined to produce the auditory illusion of a word that should be out of the game.

• Thanks (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The f in Rielly's word (which will not be legislated out of the NHL) and the "rag it" shouted from the Tampa bench combined to produce the auditory illusion of a word that should be out of the game.

I’m really curious what the repercussions of using a homophobic slur would be in today’s NHL.

Certainly, there is a rich history of that and similarly offensive language being used like punctuation in the past. Certainly the times have changed, but I wonder how much of that has changed on the ice.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m really curious what the repercussions of using a homophobic slur would be in today’s NHL.

Certainly, there is a rich history of that and similarly offensive language being used like punctuation in the past. Certainly the times have changed, but I wonder how much of that has changed on the ice.

Two years ago, Getzlaf was fined $10K for something similar.  He was not suspended, but it was the playoffs so no one gets suspended unless it's attempted murder.

Edited by Eleven

Wayne Simmonds was not punished for allegedly using the same slur against Sean Avery in 2011. In their statement the NHL said Simmonds denied it but after the game Simmonds wouldn’t deny he said it and admitted he said things Sean Avery did not like.

Earlier that same year Kobe was fined $100,000 for using it.

In my opinion, you should be automatically suspended 10 games if the league can confirm you said anything homophonic, racist and beyond. That and a hefty fine.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Wayne Simmonds was not punished for allegedly using the same slur against Sean Avery in 2011. In their statement the NHL said Simmonds denied it but after the game Simmonds wouldn’t deny he said it and admitted he said things Sean Avery did not like.

Earlier that same year Kobe was fined $100,000 for using it.

In my opinion, you should be automatically suspended 10 games if the league can confirm you said anything homophonic, racist and beyond. That and a hefty fine.

I'd worry a bit about the subjectivity of such a rule.  For the obvious words, sure, no problem.  But there will be cases that could get into a bit of a gray area.

And as for the bolded, I'm all for finally eliminating the misuse of their/they're.?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I'd worry a bit about the subjectivity of such a rule.  For the obvious words, sure, no problem.  But there will be cases that could get into a bit of a gray area.

And as for the bolded, I'm all for finally eliminating the misuse of their/they're.?

Me to.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Well plaid.

9 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Well plaid.

You did it twice, brah.

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

Everything I hear is a Tampa player yelling "rag it rag it rag it" from his bench.  Apparently (TIL) , "rag it" is an instruction to kill time with the puck in the offensive zone while on the PK.

You know about WHEAL! WHEAL! right?

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You're young and hip. You listen to that crazy disco music. Did you know it's toe the line and not tow the line?

Tow the line... love isn’t always on thyme. Everyone knows the lyrics, PA. Cmon now.

37 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Was 5-1 Hawks in the third, now 5-4 with a min left. Meltdown on the way?

Holy crap, this game is ***** crazy. 6 on 5 and Delia playing without a goalie stick for a good 30 seconds. 

I LOVED it.  And while I won't look for it, I'll bet there are a ton of Leavers crying on hfboards and reddit and whatever.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I LOVED it.  And while I won't look for it, I'll bet there are a ton of Leavers crying on hfboards and reddit and whatever.

Most definitely

This Oilers/Devils game is pretty good too. 2-2 after one. And one of the best heavyweight bouts of the year between Gabriel and Lucic. Never seen Milan try to end a fight because he didn't want anymore. Gabriel said no way and they battled on and on. Both guys gassed and each had some battle scars to boot. 

Edited by Claude Balls