Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

21 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't believe Jack is remotely close to the driving force McDavid is. And it's a site more than 25 points or so in difference.

McDavid is faster, not just in speed, but more importantly, in how he views the game on the ice. He's also a 30/40 goal scorer, something Jack has not even come close to. So let's not pretend the difference between the 2 is minimal, because honestly, McDavid is a world ahead of Eichel. That doesn't make Jack a bad player, because he's fantastic in his own right, but the stats play out just how far ahead of Jack Connor is.

True that McDavid played with those players, but then, Jack played with the ones you listed as well. McDavid is the most dynamic player in the game today, and it's really not as close as you make it sound. He truly is, the generational player. If he were to be quietly shopped in a deal because he's had enough in Edmonton, with the lose of Jack and Sam, or Jack and Dahlin, we still have the horses to offer more. The two 1sts, well, your going to pay if you want that true generational talent. McDavid is a game changer for the Sabres, this is not even debatable honestly.

McDavid surrounded by garbage yields garbage.  See Edmonton’s results since he’s been there.  

Strip the assets required to acquire him, from just about any team in the league, and you wind up with McDavid surrounded by garbage.  Nah.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't believe Jack is remotely close to the driving force McDavid is. And it's a site more than 25 points or so in difference.

McDavid is faster, not just in speed, but more importantly, in how he views the game on the ice. He's also a 30/40 goal scorer, something Jack has not even come close to. So let's not pretend the difference between the 2 is minimal, because honestly, McDavid is a world ahead of Eichel. That doesn't make Jack a bad player, because he's fantastic in his own right, but the stats play out just how far ahead of Jack Connor is.

True that McDavid played with those players, but then, Jack played with the ones you listed as well. McDavid is the most dynamic player in the game today, and it's really not as close as you make it sound. He truly is, the generational player. If he were to be quietly shopped in a deal because he's had enough in Edmonton, with the lose of Jack and Sam, or Jack and Dahlin, we still have the horses to offer more. The two 1sts, well, your going to pay if you want that true generational talent. McDavid is a game changer for the Sabres, this is not even debatable honestly.

I think you are way over rating the difference between the two. It shows when you look at the two teams and where they're at. If McD is such a great difference maker over Eichel then why ism't Edmonton much better than they are? both teams have their issues but are basically equal over the last few years in roster quality (not accounting for any difference in Jack and Connor).

I may be under-estimating the difference between the two but you are over-estimating at least equally. 

To say that McD is a world ahead of Eichel is pushing it greatly. I believe Connor has reached more or less a peak where as Jack is still able to elevate even more. Proof being all the comments on here about Jack's "coasting".

Edited by MakeSabresGrr8Again
added to post

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

McDavid surrounded by garbage yields garbage.  See Edmonton’s results since he’s been there.  

Strip the assets required to acquire him, from just about any team in the league, and you wind up with McDavid surrounded by garbage.  Nah.  

Another solid response with valid points.

1 minute ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I think you are way over rating the difference between the two. It shows when you look at the two teams and where they're at. If McD is such a great difference maker over Eichel then why ism't Edmonton much better than they are? both teams have their issues but are basically equal over the last few years in roster quality (not accounting for any difference in Jack and Connor).

I may be under-estimating the difference between the two but you are over-estimating at least equally. 

Edmonton's netminders aren't on par with Buffalo and their forward ranks lack the amount Buffalo has, and yes, Buffalo lacks, Edmonton is worse believe it or not. The D is also subpar to Buffalo's in overall play, hard to believe I know, but true.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Edmonton's netminders aren't on par with Buffalo and their forward ranks lack the amount Buffalo has, and yes, Buffalo lacks, Edmonton is worse believe it or not. The D is also subpar to Buffalo's in overall play, hard to believe I know, but true.

Again, I think you are over-stating the differences between the two teams. And shouldn't the world of difference between McD and Jack make up for it?

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Again, I think you are over-stating the differences between the two teams. And shouldn't the world of difference between McD and Jack make up for it?

Are you asking if Connor should wear goalie equipment to offset the short comings of his teams netminders?

Or are you implying Connor should triple shift, playing center, wing and defenseman?

I see where your going, but it doesn't change the fact that Buffalo has more horses up and down its organizational pipeline then Edmonton does. And while asking the question, is he worth it, many have answered with valid points, Jack being close to Connor's impact isn't one of them, imho. The stats bare this out.

32 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Are you asking if Connor should wear goalie equipment to offset the short comings of his teams netminders?

Or are you implying Connor should triple shift, playing center, wing and defenseman?

I see where your going, but it doesn't change the fact that Buffalo has more horses up and down its organizational pipeline then Edmonton does. And while asking the question, is he worth it, many have answered with valid points, Jack being close to Connor's impact isn't one of them, imho. The stats bare this out.

No I'm asking you to look at the last couple years(not this year) and compare the stats between the goalies from both teams and see there is no difference and in some instances you could say Oilers goalie was better. 

Are you comparing Ethan Bear to Risto? I'm not comparing Nurse to Gorges either.

Apparently if McD is as good as you put him up to be, then he should have no problem at least doing the triple shift thing you brought up.

Buffalo doesn't have anywhere near the horses you claim and our ever changing lineups and roster plays into it also. I think you're convincing yourself that there's a much bigger difference in the two teams than what really existed over the the careers of the two.

I think we'll be better off with what we have in Dahlin/ Eichel/ Skinner/ Sam over the next few years than we would without Eichel and either Dahlin or Sam and having Connor.

We don't really disagree that McD is talented or that he is better than Eichel. Where we disagree is on how much the difference is and whether or not its enough to raise the Titanic from the sea.

13 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

You mean the "McDavid surrounded by garbage yields garbage" and "strip the assets required to acquire him, from just about any team in the league, and you wind up with McDavid surround by garbage"? Just proves my point that we would be garbage either way and continuing on our path would likely take less time to rectify our problems.

Isn;t this kinda like Colorado too? When McDavid and his buddy Draisidal (think that is how you spell it) are on the ice, Edmonton is apparently the best team in the league (I am told stats prove this). Same in Colorado when that crazy trio is on the ice...no team better. The problem is that these team shave no other forwards or a defense to speak of. 

There is no doubt jack is good when he's "on" but too many nights he is off or invisible. McDavid is on every night as are the 3 in Colorado. If and when either the Oilers or Rockies score chances are good these players are involved.

All those games where jack throws temper tantrums after another lose (and that is often) clearly shows when he thinks or knows he was crap and let the team down. McDavid is not frustrated like that because he knows he is doing everything he can EVERY NIGHT and he is not to blame for the Oilers loses. If Jack was driven like McDavid and produced game in and game out like Connor Jack has it in him to be quite possbily as good or close to it...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

Isn;t this kinda like Colorado too? When McDavid and his buddy Draisidal (think that is how you spell it) are on the ice, Edmonton is apparently the best team in the league (I am told stats prove this). Same in Colorado when that crazy trio is on the ice...no team better. The problem is that these team shave no other forwards or a defense to speak of. 

There is no doubt jack is good when he's "on" but too many nights he is off or invisible. McDavid is on every night as are the 3 in Colorado. If and when either the Oilers or Rockies score chances are good these players are involved.

All those games where jack throws temper tantrums after another lose (and that is often) clearly shows when he thinks or knows he was crap and let the team down. McDavid is not frustrated like that because he knows he is doing everything he can EVERY NIGHT and he is not to blame for the Oilers loses. If Jack was driven like McDavid and produced game in and game out like Connor Jack has it in him to be quite possbily as good or close to it...

Rockies? Was that an outdoor game?

1 hour ago, Sabre fan said:

57 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Rockies? Was that an outdoor game?

That's the typo you choose?  I'm more worried about the practice of shaving players that they apparently have in Edmonton and Colorado.?

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

You mean the "McDavid surrounded by garbage yields garbage" and "strip the assets required to acquire him, from just about any team in the league, and you wind up with McDavid surround by garbage"? Just proves my point that we would be garbage either way and continuing on our path would likely take less time to rectify our problems.

I don't deny it could go that route. But as it stands today, we'd get the better player and the playing field would remain even. There is 0 garuntee or assurances that acquiring him, or not acquiring him would prove successful for the Sabres.

One thing is clear however, the Sabres have been the worst team in the NHL since November, curious how all that garbage around McDavid and they have not been, in no small reason due to McDavids game play. I sure wish we could say that about Jack and Sam, but we can't unfortunately.

17 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't deny it could go that route. But as it stands today, we'd get the better player and the playing field would remain even. There is 0 garuntee or assurances that acquiring him, or not acquiring him would prove successful for the Sabres.

One thing is clear however, the Sabres have been the worst team in the NHL since November, curious how all that garbage around McDavid and they have not been, in no small reason due to McDavids game play. I sure wish we could say that about Jack and Sam, but we can't unfortunately.

For what you would have to give up to get him and decimate our roster and future, we couldn't be better off. Giving up players(Jack and Rasmus/Sam) and 1st rd picks will make it even harder to re-build around Connor. My biggest fear is that .....we are becoming the Edmonton Oilers already. Phfffew....that was terrifying to spit out.

Watching Bruins/Bolts on NBCSN with Kenny Albert, Milbury and McGuire calling the game. Pierre and Mike are right there with Adams and Brickley when it comes to stroking the Bruins. If they were on the radio you wouldn't even know Tampa was playing. One of the Bruins makes a backhand pass from the boards and PM calls it wizardry. A Lightning player makes a better backhand pass five mins later.......crickets 

Edited by Claude Balls

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Senators Fire Bouchard name Marc Crawford Coach 

That’s absolute Crap Show they stripped that team and expect him to win. His contract is up at the end of season let him finish the year  

Or let him begin looking now, I guess?

34 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That’s absolute Crap Show they stripped that team and expect him to win. His contract is up at the end of season let him finish the year  

What a classless organization the Senators have become. Herb Brooks couldn't win with that team. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Maybe Ottawa thought hiring Crawford now was their best chance at getting him. Who knows with that organization. Now watch the Sens finish higher than the Sabres next year. ?

17 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why does Chara get to play tonight after that hit to Kane? Any other player on any other team would have had a hearing.

You, of all people, should be accustomed to the the complete tire fire that is NHL officiating. They have as much clue to it as I do cueth and class. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Read the press release by the Sens after firing Boucher, it lists what they are searching for in their new coach, comes off like a job ad in the paper. Lol

Their GM, the guy who should have been canned, said he made the decision last night but wanted to sleep on it. Said he called Melnyk this morning and then told Boucher when he got to the rink he was done, then he talked to the team and told them their play recently wasnt acceptable. 

He said Crawford will coach them til the end of the year, then they will do an extensive search for someone who can teach the young players, listen to them and develop them. The guy on sportsnet was almost laughing over it saying that theres not really anyone out there who would meet their requirements.also said their play the entire season was unacceptable.....

They also believe they made this move hoping the move will help them move up a few spots and not finish 31st