Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

The Sabres marketing department is as stupid and out of touch as the team itself. They have no pulse on the fans and the only thing they know how to do is play ***** music as loud as they can to fill the silence that has been in that building for over 8 years. Now that the year is over again, I plan on selling the rest of my games because it is more a waste of time than anything else.

52 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

The Sabres marketing department is as stupid and out of touch as the team itself. They have no pulse on the fans and the only thing they know how to do is play ***** music as loud as they can to fill the silence that has been in that building for over 8 years. Now that the year is over again, I plan on selling the rest of my games because it is more a waste of time than anything else.

Like Bettman said, different approaches to different fan bases.

The Buffalo fan base is conservative, defeatist, quick to judge and quick to anger.

What kind of approach do you take with that kind of crowd?

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Buffalo fan base is conservative, defeatist, quick to judge and quick to anger.

Ice a winning team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

They could actually try and get the crowd involved once every 10 years. The most obvious thing to do would be bringing back Sabres on the Warpath chant. Put a video together from the 70s where this chant was incredible. 

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Ice a winning team.

I really think that's exactly it. Parlor tricks aren't going to work with this bunch.

7 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

They could actually try and get the crowd involved once every 10 years. The most obvious thing to do would be bringing back Sabres on the Warpath chant. Put a video together from the 70s where this chant was incredible. 

See above. Right now it would result in rolling eyes and apathy.

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Free drinks?

• Thanks (+1) 4

52 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Thingis, that chant in the present environment would QUICKLY devolve into "ooh, aah, Sabres on the golf course ..."

Very pleasantly surprised we almost got through February before it was appropriate.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

I really think that's exactly it. Parlor tricks aren't going to work with this bunch.

See above. Right now it would result in rolling eyes and apathy.

The issue is you have these old people attending games who think hockey is organ music with Sabres on the Warpath chants sprinkled in. 

Young kids don’t give af about some 50-something’s childhood memories and rituals. 

Vegas, Carolina and Nashville can do what they want because they don’t have this large portion of their crowd shaking their fist screaming about 1975. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

The issue is you have these old people attending games who think hockey is organ music with Sabres on the Warpath chants sprinkled in. 

Young kids don’t give af about some 50-something’s childhood memories and rituals. 

Vegas, Carolina and Nashville can do what they want because they don’t have this large portion of their crowd shaking their fist screaming about 1975. 

Get out some fog machines and re-create 1975. Have the players skate in a circle to "lift" the fog and expose a replica Stanley Cup with 2021 on it. LOL

12 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Get out some fog machines and re-create 1975. Have the players skate in a circle to "lift" the fog and expose a replica Stanley Cup with 2021 on it. LOL

Ha. Maybe. 

I’m just not sure what people want the Sabres to do in this particular situation given that the old-timers complain about anything young people like and young people don’t care about the 70s.  Everyone thinks the entertainment should be just for them and not for the person sitting next to them. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Ha. Maybe. 

I’m just not sure what people want the Sabres to do in this particular situation given that the old-timers complain about anything young people like and young people don’t care about the 70s.  Everyone thinks the entertainment should be just for them and not for the person sitting next to them. 

For the younger crowd  they could put out on the wi-fi so they could watch it on their phones 

Being one of the "old-timers", it wouldn't work too well with our dial-up and netzero.

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Don't know who this guy really is, out of Toronto, but if what he says is true, McDavid wants out of Edmonton, I believe Buffalo would be the immediate frontrunner in a trade scenario.

So what would it take?

wait......people are arguing about who do we have to trade for someone like Duchene or Stone or even Hayes and Ferland. You know the same old "our trash for their?" and "they better be taking KO's contract". 

Immediate frontrunner's? I think not!!!

Would love to have it happen but....

6 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

wait......people are arguing about who do we have to trade for someone like Duchene or Stone or even Hayes and Ferland. You know the same old "our trash for their?" and "they better be taking KO's contract". 

Immediate frontrunner's? I think not!!!

Would love to have it happen but....

I think an offer of Eichel, Reinhart, both 1st's or Eichel, Dahlin, both 1st's.

And before you say no way to Dahlin, this is Connor McDavid we're talking about, so bare that in mind.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

And before you say no way to Dahlin, this is Connor McDavid we're talking about, so bare that in mind.

Edmonton has already shown you can’t win with one great player. Would rather keep on building than make their mistakes. 

33 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

McD is only averaging about 25pts/yr more than Jack and has made jack of a difference in Edmonton despite at one point having Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH while we had Kane/ROR/ and Reinhart. He's had as much a supporting cast as we have for Eichel. 

And before you say anything .....you want to take away Eichel/Reinhart or Jack and Rasmus, then throw in 2-1sts as a sweetener for just McD? Do you really think McD would make that much difference when he hasn't done that in Edmonton? Sounds like it would be helping Oilers more than us IMO.

Give me Draisaitl and we keep Jack and Rasmus somehow.

10 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

McD is only averaging about 25pts/yr more than Jack and has made jack of a difference in Edmonton despite at one point having Draisaitl, Eberle, RNH while we had Kane/ROR/ and Reinhart. He's had as much a supporting cast as we have for Eichel. 

And before you say anything .....you want to take away Eichel/Reinhart or Jack and Rasmus, then throw in 2-1sts as a sweetener for just McD? Do you really think McD would make that much difference when he hasn't done that in Edmonton? Sounds like it would be helping Oilers more than us IMO.

Give me Draisaitl and we keep Jack and Rasmus somehow.

I don't believe Jack is remotely close to the driving force McDavid is. And it's a site more than 25 points or so in difference.

McDavid is faster, not just in speed, but more importantly, in how he views the game on the ice. He's also a 30/40 goal scorer, something Jack has not even come close to. So let's not pretend the difference between the 2 is minimal, because honestly, McDavid is a world ahead of Eichel. That doesn't make Jack a bad player, because he's fantastic in his own right, but the stats play out just how far ahead of Jack Connor is.

True that McDavid played with those players, but then, Jack played with the ones you listed as well. McDavid is the most dynamic player in the game today, and it's really not as close as you make it sound. He truly is, the generational player. If he were to be quietly shopped in a deal because he's had enough in Edmonton, with the lose of Jack and Sam, or Jack and Dahlin, we still have the horses to offer more. The two 1sts, well, your going to pay if you want that true generational talent. McDavid is a game changer for the Sabres, this is not even debatable honestly.