Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

26 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

Connor McDavid out here pretending he’s Radko Gudas... 

I’d say three games. First time offender? Any word on severity of injury?

Two minute minor was a bad idea. Crosby got away with stuff early on and no doubt it contributed to other players targeting him. Just my opinion.

Edited by SABRES 0311

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It also wasn't particularly egregious.

It was from the the front, the arm was tucked, player was in the act of shooting, McDavid was gliding, he didn't leap...

It was a hit to the head, but I'm not even certain it was an elbow.

It was pretty bad. His intentions are clear

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To hammer the shooter?

If that was Johan Larsson or Jake McCabe throwing the check, only Islanders and Sabres fans would care.

Seems like it qualifies as a blind side hit.. perhaps I need to watch again?

It's interesting to see what a Rorschach test these things always are.  Granted, we're looking at a few second clip from one angle and no context, but I'm with Wild: That was ugly and on purpose.   I suppose reasonable people can look at it and come away with differing interpretations, but I can't see it any other way, player or teams involved having nothing to do with it.  

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

It's interesting to see what a Rorschach test these things always are.  Granted, we're looking at a few second clip from one angle and no context, but I'm with Wild: That was ugly and on purpose.   I suppose reasonable people can look at it and come away with differing interpretations, but I can't see it any other way, player or teams involved having nothing to do with it.  

Aren't all body checks by definition on purpose?

I think "ugly" is what is changing. "Dirty" is starting to become synonomous with the degree of violence inflicted.

Mike Peca was adored for checks like that.

1 minute ago, Sabel79 said:

It's incumbent on the hitter to not make that hit (blindside, to the head).  They've all been fairly extensively briefed at this point.  

So, yes? The target has to know you are coming? That's the definition of blindside?

If so, then it was dirty.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Serious question: Is it incumbent on the hitter to make sure the hittee knows  he's coming?

Not on blind side hits, which is why they are called blind side.  It's like suggesting that a player who turns his back to the ice should expect to get blasted into the boards face first.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think "ugly" is what is changing. "Dirty" is starting to become synonomous with the degree of violence inflicted.

Like above, these are the things that have changed.  Lots of things used to be legal.  They aren't now.  It seemed to me on the play that McDavid comes from behind the lateral axis of the player and hits him in the head.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But that was also in an era where Don Cherry would release videos of the biggest hits and fights from the season every year and the violence was accepted and cheered. We are now in an era where player safety has become a priority because theres a different understanding of what can happen from taking these kinds of hits.

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It also wasn't particularly egregious.

It was from the the front, the arm was tucked, player was in the act of shooting, McDavid was gliding, he didn't leap...

It was a hit to the head, but I'm not even certain it was an elbow.

Someday people will learn what the actual definition of an elbowing penalty is.  Like you, I'm not really sure if the elbow even made contact, but even if it did, that was not an elbowing penalty.  He did not lead with it or extend it.  Elbowing will not be included in his hearing in any way.

And on another note, doing a quick google search of NHL penalties, I ran into this gem with some picture examples.  Someone please explain the last charging picture.

Edited by shrader

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

Someday people will learn what the actual definition of an elbowing penalty is.  Like you, I'm not really sure if the elbow even made contact, but even if it did, that was not an elbowing penalty.  He did not lead with it or extend it.  Elbowing will not be included in his hearing in any way.

And on another note, doing a quick google search of NHL penalties, I ran into this gem with some picture examples.  Someone please explain the last charging picture.

Kaleta's about a foot off the ice, I think.

5 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I don't think that's the point.....aren't they both Sabres?

I stared at it for awhile, I think there's a Carolina (or Ottawa maybe, can't tell) player between them.

Edited by Sabel79
What Chz said...

5 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

Connor McDavid out here pretending he’s Radko Gudas... 

If that’s the dirtiest hit he’s seen all season, he hasn’t watched enough hockey...would like to see another angle, might change my mind. Certainly not “clean” though.