Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

It's not bring in Vanek instead of a faster, younger winger, it is bring in Vanek because there isn't a faster, younger winger that improves the team that is available.

Bingo.

Honestly this UFA offers almost nothing. It almost makes me think Risto, Reino or ROR is gone for multiple ok parts to fill in holes.

It's not bring in Vanek instead of a faster, younger winger, it is bring in Vanek because there isn't a faster, younger winger that improves the team that is available.

Right. Vanek had 56 points last season and made $2 million. We shouldn't let the need to improve team speed blind us against other ways to improve the team.

Right. Vanek had 56 points last season and made $2 million. We shouldn't let the need to improve team speed blind us against other ways to improve the team.

He's gonna come here and get the 40ish points he's been getting. Edited by Skurk Liger

He's gonna come here and get the 40ish points he's been getting.

Would have been good for 5th in team forward scoring last season, and 1st among LWs by 15 points (ok, Rodrigues only played a half season).

So ya, what We’ve said.

Omfg! That's the problem. The team sucks! Adding a player who doesn't play anywhere close to the style we want so we can get 40 pts and still not make the playoffs doesn't move us forward.

Whatever, enjoy slow ass vanek getting his 7ppg and 7 evs goals while not playing the style Botterill wants so we can come in 26th instead of 30th.

Omfg! That's the problem. The team sucks! Adding a player who doesn't play anywhere close to the style we want so we can get 40 pts and still not make the playoffs doesn't move us forward.

Even one glass of water to a man dying of thirst is better than a glass of sand, even if everyone knows that man needs more.

That “more” you are advocating for is, of course, something we’d all love to get our hands on, but if only that one glass of water is available it’s better than doing nothing at all.

Vanek could be turnip juice, and he’d still be a marked improvement over the Horcrux Death Potion we had for LW last season.

Edited by Thorny

I feel like the style we're looking for is "scores a buttload of goals".

This team isn't going to be a playoff team this year. Until we develop goal scorers from within we need *something*. Vanek is the perfect short term solution until someone can push him out.

Dude could snipe beaucoup goals on Eichel's wing. You'd forget you ever hated the idea by December.

Whatever, enjoy slow ass vanek getting his 7ppg and 7 evs goals while not playing the style Botterill wants so we can come in 26th instead of 30th.

I'm glad we agree that adding Vanek makes the team better.

We don't agree. Adding vanek does not make the team better. You know the difference between 30 and 26? Not a Goddam thing.

If the addition of Vanek alone bumps us up 4 spots in the standings, that bodes well for the sum of Botterill’s moves bumping the Sabres up a fair bit more.

Fine you guys win. I'll bet 50$ to the charity of choice Jason Botterill won't add vanek to this roster.

Tbf that's not really the bet. The bet is whether or not he'd be a positive addition or not

For the record I vote nay. Stop living in the past

Tbf that's not really the bet. The bet is whether or not he'd be a positive addition or not

For the record I vote nay. Stop living in the past

IMO those who want to add him are doing the opposite of living in the past. If his name wasn't Thomas Vanek, there wouldn't be so much pushback against signing him. I want value upgrades on the wing. He's a value upgrade on the wing.

Fine you guys win. I'll bet 50$ to the charity of choice Jason Botterill won't add vanek to this roster.

This post is quintessential you; offering a bet on something that's not even being argued.

IMO those who want to add him are doing the opposite of living in the past. If his name wasn't Thomas Vanek, there wouldn't be so much pushback against signing him. I want value upgrades on the wing. He's a value upgrade on the wing.

I mean he's 34 and slow

Liger, please play along with my hypothetical:

if we are looking at icing any one of the following players, or others like them, with a completely healthy lineup:
Larsson
Pominville

Nolan

Wilson

which is completely possible, unfortunately, even with Baptiste and Bailey making the team, would you support signing Vanek, if he's the best available UFA that hasn't been signed and isn't out of our price range? (Like, JVR)

Edited by Randall Flagg

Barring fast, skilled, wingers dropping from the sky; Vanek is probably our safest bet to sign if we want production on the cheap and short term kind.

And I really wouldn't be putting him with Eichel, I'd put him with ROR (to cover his D problems) or Middlestadt (to give him a vet and allow a youngster RW to fit a bit better) 

But most of all I'd want him for powerplay purposes. With dual Rasmus, we need two sets of PP units nowadays and we lack a net front presence on our 2nd PP unit.

Lastly, push comes to shove, Vanek - Middlestadt - Pominville at least sounds cool......... and it would be sort of cool to have those two finish in the same spot they started, on the 3rd line. Thouhg to be honest I just want Pommers on the 4th line or press box but injuries do happen..... 

I feel like the style we're looking for is "scores a buttload of goals".

This team isn't going to be a playoff team this year. Until we develop goal scorers from within we need *something*. Vanek is the perfect short term solution until someone can push him out.

Dude could snipe beaucoup goals on Eichel's wing. You'd forget you ever hated the idea by December.

In order to score you have to be in the play.  Also, I hate the idea of Vanek the first time around.

We don't agree. Adding vanek does not make the team better. You know the difference between 30 and 26? Not a Goddam thing.

That's not true... it is as TrueBlue says below.

4 spots higher in the standings is the literal definition of better.

Here's the question.  The definition of better as narrowly defined by where you finish the regular season, yes.  If, however, you consider that it also does not guarantee a top 3 draft position in the following draft one might argue that it reduces your ability to improve the overall talent through the draft.  As such, is finishing 26th more important than finishing 30th (or 31st really).  I would prefer to finish dead last than finish 26th. 

In fact, if you are not finishing within the top 20 and more importantly are not in the hunt for a wild card spot I would prefer to finish last.

I don't give a rat's ass what his name is. I care that he's slow and doesn't play the style being discussed by the entire organization

Liger, please play along with my hypothetical:

if we are looking at icing any one of the following players, or others like them, with a completely healthy lineup:

Larsson

Pominville

Nolan

Wilson

which is completely possible, unfortunately, even with Baptiste and Bailey making the team, would you support signing Vanek, if he's the best available UFA that hasn't been signed and isn't out of our price range? (Like, JVR)

Nolan is gone

I expect Larson to be gone or playing 4th line center.

Pommers is a rw

So do I think vanek will score more points then Wilson, yes. Guess that means we should get him. We can have a line of vanek, Larson, pommers. Montreal will be afraid... and maybe Ottawa.