Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I might be missing the tone here (snark radar is on the fritz), but I'll say that this over-simplifies matters.

YMMV, of course, but it seems an absolute certainty that players balance a variety of factors when negotiating a deal and deciding where to play.

I'm in agreement that guaranteed money is the leading factor that gets weighed. But it's not as dominant as suggested above.

The most interesting "take" I've seen is that it could signal NHL players moving to take more control of their future, a la NBA players. A ton of NBA stars don't take the max contract because they don't want to commit to one organization for 5 years. It makes sense to me for those at the top of the food chain, even if it carries some injury risk. I'd bet all the money in my retirement account that McDavid, off the record, would regret being tied to Edmonton for 7 more years. 

18 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The most interesting "take" I've seen is that it could signal NHL players moving to take more control of their future, a la NBA players. A ton of NBA stars don't take the max contract because they don't want to commit to one organization for 5 years. It makes sense to me for those at the top of the food chain, even if it carries some injury risk. I'd bet all the money in my retirement account that McDavid, off the record, would regret being tied to Edmonton for 7 more years. 

That is interesting. And I'd agree for sure on McDavid.

22 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I hate the NBA for this reason too. The NBA draft is already a joke, and now with FA like it is for them a team like NO or any smaller market team is forever screwed. I can't blame the players for leaving for bigger markets with better chances to win, but it really screws the fans

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I hate the NBA for this reason too. The NBA draft is already a joke, and now with FA like it is for them a team like NO or any smaller market team is forever screwed. I can't blame the players for leaving for bigger markets with better chances to win, but it really screws the fans

Does it screw the fans, or do bad management teams screw the fans? I don't think Anthony Davis wants a trade because of New Orleans, I think he wants a trade because the team has totally failed to build a contender around him. 

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

But the NBA, to me, is a league where fans root for the name on the back of the jersey, not the name on the front, with some exceptions, and has been for a long time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Does it screw the fans, or do bad management teams screw the fans? I don't think Anthony Davis wants a trade because of New Orleans, I think he wants a trade because the team has totally failed to build a contender around him. 

True, I mean they have completely botched that. But where is he going? LA. And who does everyone think is going to land Durant and Kyrie? The Knicks. It's not like Boston hasn't been a contender, and Durant has won multiple rings with GS. The Raptors are 2nd in the East, and not for a second does anybody believe  Kawaii is going to remain there. He'd rather go to the freaking Clippers instead

Edited by WildCard

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

True, I mean they have completely botched that. But where is he going? LA. And who does everyone think is going to land Durant and Kyrie? The Knicks. It's not like Boston hasn't been a contender, and Durant has won multiple rings with GS. 

The Knicks are a great counterpoint, actually. NYC is the Mecca of the basketball world. They haven't landed a franchise player in...30 years? The location isn't drawing players there because of how inept Dolan is as an owner. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

The Knicks are a great counterpoint, actually. NYC is the Mecca of the basketball world. They haven't landed a franchise player in...30 years? The location isn't drawing players there because of how inept Dolan is as an owner. 

They had Anthony.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The drew Amari and Melo though

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

An exception that proves the rule?

Also, he was butt.

I've heard that it's very uncertain whether the Knicks can land Durant and/or Irving because the ownership there is so inept.

It's not like players aren't considering going there either. LeBron visited, and there were many other super star FA's that have visited them, only to be lured to another prominent city; it's not like LeBron or someone visited the Knicks, saw Dolan, and said 'fck it, I'll stay in Cleveland'

It's not like players aren't considering going there either. LeBron visited, and there were many other super star FA's that have visited them, only to be lured to another prominent city; it's not like LeBron or someone visited the Knicks, saw Dolan, and said 'fck it, I'll stay in Cleveland'

Fair enough.

I don't follow the NBA, so I mostly get my information from Pardon My Take. It's a different league and dynamic for several reasons - not the least of which is that you start 5 (and really only need 3) and only roster ... however many those teams roster.

It does seem like there is something afoot with the NHL, though -- in terms of how player contracts are coming together.

A 26 year old Melo wasn't a franchise player?

He was great, but nope. It's just one measure and I would never really hang my hat on any one stat (I could build an argument to support is, but not here!), but Carmelo's most comparable player by win shares at the height of his career was...*drum roll*...Rasheed Wallace. Melo wasn't quite good enough offensively to justify how he'd break offensive flow, and he was always one of the worst defensive players in the league.

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

He was great, but nope. It's just one measure and I would never really hang my hat on any one stat (I could build an argument to support is, but not here!), but Carmelo's most comparable player by win shares at the height of his career was...*drum roll*...Rasheed Wallace. Melo wasn't quite good enough offensively to justify how he'd break offensive flow, and he was always one of the worst defensive players in the league.

Fair enough. I'm not going to pretend to know more about basketball than you, but I think we both can agree Melo was a very prominent FA at the time

Just now, WildCard said:

Fair enough. I'm not going to pretend to know more about basketball than you, but I think we both can agree Melo was a very prominent FA at the time

Sure. There were also mitigating circumstances there. He was born in Brooklyn, and his wife was from there as well. And it's not really relevant, but technically, he forced his way there via sign-and-trade, not as a UFA.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Is it a similar amount that the Wild guy bet?

If so, forget it.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Has anyone other than him done this?  It's hard to take it as a signal when most if not all of the other elites have gone with the max term.  That's a very short list of players though.  The one place where it's always going to differ from bounceyball is that one single player can't drive the game of hockey like they can over there.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Has anyone other than him done this?  It's hard to take it as a signal when most if not all of the other elites have gone with the max term.  That's a very short list of players though.  The one place where it's always going to differ from bounceyball is that one single player can't drive the game of hockey like they can over there.

Right, I'm not predicting it's going to become commonplace or anything, but crazier things have happened. I certainly don't think players are going to start taking 2-year deals like in the NBA, but contracts that get them to UFA make some sense. 

15 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Is this around the NHL or the NBA, take that junk outta here 

At least it's not baseball.