Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

ty rattie and ryan spooner on waivers in Edmonton. 

14 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Its been reported today they are looking to be buyers, 1st is in play. Looking for a 3/4 LHD.

Buffalo has some 3/4 LHD's. If we can squeak out a 1st for Scandella I'd be elated.

Won't happen. 

For the "Auston Matthews is so much better than Eichel it's not even close woe is us" crowd: Matthews has 1 goal in his last 13 games, 9 points in those 13 (which paces for 57 over 82), and 0 points in 3 straight. Oh, and Toronto is a whopping 6-7 over that span.

The moral isn't that Matthews is overrated or that he can't help his team win, it's that streakiness happens. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

For the "Auston Matthews is so much better than Eichel it's not even close woe is us" crowd: Matthews has 1 goal in his last 13 games, 9 points in those 13 (which paces for 57 over 82), and 0 points in 3 straight. Oh, and Toronto is a whopping 6-7 over that span.

The moral isn't that Matthews is overrated or that he can't help his team win, it's that streakiness happens. 

So my wife tells me when she does the laundry ?

13 hours ago, spndnchz said:

Looks like a recent “Black Mirror” episode 

I think there's a connection between the fact that my girlfriend made me watch the "Shut Up and Dance" episode of that show and the fact that she no longer is my girlfriend.

Back to the trade tree:  Wow.  That is miserable.  Just bad move after bad move.  The right fork after Pronger is missing something, though; what did Edmonton get for that 2d round pick?

Edited by Eleven

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I think there's a connection between the fact that my girlfriend made me watch the "Shut Up and Dance" episode of that show and the fact that she no longer is my girlfriend.

Back to the trade tree:  Wow.  That is miserable.  Just bad move after bad move.  The right fork after Pronger is missing something, though; what did Edmonton get for that 2d round pick?

The Pronger trade also brought in more than just that pick and the pick used for Eberle.  I'm too lazy to see where those branches go.  But anyway, that second round pick is pretty complicated.  It bounced around a bit in a series of exchanges.

46 minutes ago, shrader said:

The Pronger trade also brought in more than just that pick and the pick used for Eberle.  I'm too lazy to see where those branches go.  But anyway, that second round pick is pretty complicated.  It bounced around a bit in a series of exchanges.

From wikipedia:  

Edmonton previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on July 3, 2006 that sent Chris Pronger to Anaheim in exchange for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, a first-round pick in 2007, a conditional first-round pick in 2008 and this pick.

So yeah, there's a bit missing there.

22 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

The Leafs not missing a beat when he was out injured, did it for me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Chiarelli being a GM is endless entertainment, this sucks.

Color me shocked that Edmonton replaced him with a Gretzky though

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Keith Gretzky owes us 1.  Get on the phone Mr. Botterill.

So sad that Chiarelli's toast.  Any possibility he can go to Dallas next?  Jim Nill can't live forever.  Maybe Filly? Eye-lan-ders?!?  

Philly already fired theirs. Nill seems to be on the owners food side, considering all the public backlash against Seguin and Benn from them. I'd bet Holland is next in a retirement-esk move to make room for Yzerman

Edited by WildCard

The write up on Chiarelli.  We knew he was bad, but it's still eyeopening to see everything listed in one place.

https://deadspin.com/the-oilers-finally-fired-peter-chiarelli-who-did-so-li-1831980105

Quote:

- There was the trade of two draft picks (one of whom became reigning Calder champ Mathew Barzal) for Griffin Reinhart, who is now out of the organization and scuffling in the AHL.

- There was the one-for-one trade of former first overall pick Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson; two years later Hall won MVP.

- There was the seven-year, $42-million contract given to Milan Lucic, who appears to have fallen off a cliff on the wrong side of age 30, and is still signed through 2023.

- There was the trade of Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome, who a year later was flipped for Ryan Spooner, who was put on waivers this week.

- And on Monday, Chiarelli’s last move was announced: a three-year, $13.5 million extension for Mikko Koskinen, a 30-year-old goaltender with 32 NHL games under his belt

8 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

The write up on Chiarelli.  We knew he was bad, but it's still eyeopening to see everything listed in one place.

https://deadspin.com/the-oilers-finally-fired-peter-chiarelli-who-did-so-li-1831980105

Quote:

- There was the trade of two draft picks (one of whom became reigning Calder champ Mathew Barzal) for Griffin Reinhart, who is now out of the organization and scuffling in the AHL.

- There was the one-for-one trade of former first overall pick Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson; two years later Hall won MVP.

- There was the seven-year, $42-million contract given to Milan Lucic, who appears to have fallen off a cliff on the wrong side of age 30, and is still signed through 2023.

- There was the trade of Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome, who a year later was flipped for Ryan Spooner, who was put on waivers this week.

- And on Monday, Chiarelli’s last move was announced: a three-year, $13.5 million extension for Mikko Koskinen, a 30-year-old goaltender with 32 NHL games under his belt

As Charles Barkely would say, turruble.