Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

The advantage of being TB is that good players get kept in the AHL longer and develop until the big teams either clears room for them or they force their way into the lineup. Imagine if Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and Mittelstadt were all in the AHL right now because the big club didn't have room? Obviously that wouldn't happen even in TB but that goes to the point of why we want to keep drafting in the first and second rounds. Add those players that can put you over the top as 22yr olds. Brayden Point might help TB win a Stanley Cup. ALSO, HOW THE HELL WAS HE A 3rd round pick! He had 91points in his draft year in the WHL. Woof, what a bad job by a lot of other teams. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The advantage of being TB is that good players get kept in the AHL longer and develop until the big teams either clears room for them or they force their way into the lineup. Imagine if Eichel, Reinhart, Dahlin, and Mittelstadt were all in the AHL right now because the big club didn't have room? Obviously that wouldn't happen even in TB but that goes to the point of why we want to keep drafting in the first and second rounds. Add those players that can put you over the top as 22yr olds. Brayden Point might help TB win a Stanley Cup. ALSO, HOW THE HELL WAS HE A 3rd round pick! He had 91points in his draft year in the WHL. Woof, what a bad job by a lot of other teams. 

Plenty of examples of guys who tore up Juniors and didn't amount to squat. 

Your all time leading junior scorers:

WHL: Brian Sakic (591), Glen Goodall (573), Craig Endean (529) OHL: Stan Drulia (479), Dale McCourt (479), Wayne Groulx (477) QMJHL: Patrice Lefebvre (595), Stephan Lebeau (580), Patrick Emond (575)

A regular who's who in NHL circles. I know you know this, just wanted to point it out for any interested readers. 

It's less about their all time points and more about what they did specifically in their draft year. It doesn't mean they will hit but when a forward is over a ppg in their draft year, you definitely need to take a long hard look at taking them earlier then pick 79. Eric Cornel who Buffalo took at 44th overall, only had 62 points in his draft year in the OHL. 

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The advantage of being Tampa Bay is Steve Yzerman. 

Good news? He's leaving

Bad news? To Detroit

Point probably dropped to the third because of his size, 5'9 at the time.... and he was on a very very bad team, a huge minus player.

He's a pending RFA, and TBL will have just over $6m in cap space with more than a handful of roster spots to fill.   Offer sheet?

Edited by pi2000

16 hours ago, inkman said:

In typical NHL fashion, they have no idea what their fans want so as soon as they think they got their finger on the pulse, they go full Sharknado pandering to the lowest common denominator without regard to integrity.  

Which fans?  There are a lot of fans who do want this game, even if they are the lowest common denominator.  There were 70k+ tickets/fans at the game.  That's a success, even if no one watches it on TV.  

12 hours ago, WildCard said:

I'm turning 26 soon. I just need to know who I can harass on here for medical advice because webmd keeps telling me I'm dying

We are all dying...

20 minutes ago, LTS said:

Which fans?  There are a lot of fans who do want this game, even if they are the lowest common denominator.  There were 70k+ tickets/fans at the game.  That's a success, even if no one watches it on TV.  

Not referring to this game as an example of what the fans want, quite the opposite. The league doesn't have a clue so as soon as they find a niche they send the whole fleet. They have no idea what the fans want. So instead of having this cool nuanced event that occurs annually, they bastardize the whole process by creating 400 outdoor games for our enjoyment. 

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Neither of these have been confirmed, eh?  Or did I miss something with all the holiday cheer around here?

He's confirmed leaving Tampa Bay. The reason? He wants to live in Detroit. Ken Holland has been there a long time and is getting stale. I would be absolutely shocked if 'The Captain' and the best GM in hockey isn't the Red Wings GM next season

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/09/11/steve-yzerman-detroit-red-wings-ken-holland/1268811002/

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Not referring to this game as an example of what the fans want, quite the opposite. The league doesn't have a clue so as soon as they find a niche they send the whole fleet. They have no idea what the fans want. So instead of having this cool nuanced event that occurs annually, they bastardize the whole process by creating 400 outdoor games for our enjoyment. 

I realize you are overstating things on purpose.  But exactly how many outdoor games are there this year?  I don't even know.  The only reason I care is because it's relevant to this discussion.

Overall though, the NHL is hardly alone in this.  The NFL used to have two games on Thanksgiving.  It used to play national games 2 days a week.  It used to have less teams in the playoffs, and so on.

College football has Bowl Games for teams that are .500.

Pretty soon the NBA will have basketball all Christmas Day (maybe they do, I honestly can't even tell you 50% of the basketball teams that exist).

Point is.. it's a business and if the initiative makes money, it stays.  There are not enough fans who dislike the outdoor games for them to stop having them. 

How do you define what "the fans want?"  Again, if they are drawing large crowds and an above average TV rating for the product, doesn't it indicate they are having success?

Edited by LTS
Edited the NFL, although it was 3 days late in the season.

8 minutes ago, LTS said:

I realize you are overstating things on purpose.  But exactly how many outdoor games are there this year?  I don't even know.  The only reason I care is because it's relevant to this discussion.

Overall though, the NHL is hardly alone in this.  The NFL used to have two games on Thanksgiving.  It used to play national games 2 days a week.  It used to have less teams in the playoffs, and so on.

College football has Bowl Games for teams that are .500.

Pretty soon the NBA will have basketball all Christmas Day (maybe they do, I honestly can't even tell you 50% of the basketball teams that exist).

Point is.. it's a business and if the initiative makes money, it stays.  There are not enough fans who dislike the outdoor games for them to stop having them. 

How do you define what "the fans want?"  Again, if they are drawing large crowds and an above average TV rating for the product, doesn't it indicate they are having success?

A quick Google search has 3 outdoor games in 2019, with 4 played in each of 2016 & 2017. For my money it's overkill, but if someone wants to see one every couple of months, the world is theirs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

A quick Google search has 3 outdoor games in 2019, with 4 played in each of 2016 & 2017. For my money it's overkill, but if someone wants to see one every couple of months, the world is theirs. 

Well, that's how i feel about it.  I didn't watch the Winter Classic this year.  I had better things to do and I don't like the Bruins.

I also don't need all the pomp and circumstance, but most Americans do.  I just want to see a hockey game played.  I don't care if it's inside or outside as long as the product is not harmed.

For me it's the over the top media garbage that ruins it more than the location.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

Well, that's how i feel about it.  I didn't watch the Winter Classic this year.  I had better things to do and I don't like the Bruins.

I also don't need all the pomp and circumstance, but most Americans do.  I just want to see a hockey game played.  I don't care if it's inside or outside as long as the product is not harmed.

For me it's the over the top media garbage that ruins it more than the location.

Seems unnecessary

Dan Rosen quoting Cam Atkinson:

"For whatever reason, it was like I didn't like hockey anymore." On Cam Atkinson, in a rut last season, in the All-Star Game representing the @BlueJacketsNHL this season:”

I wonder if Cam was labeled as an unwanted sad sack by the fan base?

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

He's confirmed leaving Tampa Bay. The reason? He wants to live in Detroit. Ken Holland has been there a long time and is getting stale. I would be absolutely shocked if 'The Captain' and the best GM in hockey isn't the Red Wings GM next season

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2018/09/11/steve-yzerman-detroit-red-wings-ken-holland/1268811002/

It's as predictable as the response from NS anytime a player from Halifax is mentioned.

• Haha (+1) 1