Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You mean the annual Chicago or NYR outdoor game? 

Apparently the Hurricanes are trying to push hard for one.  The owner truly is clueless.  Does anyone really think the league would put one of these events in a market that is consistently one of the worst draws in the league, 5 straight years now in the bottom 3?

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You mean the annual Chicago or NYR outdoor game? 

Yeah it doesn't matter to me where they have it, they ruined the nostalgia by having 20 outdoor games in a small time frame. Now, no one knows if it's "The Winter Classic" or just some rando outdoor game. Neither of which many people seem to care about as they are on a network only a small percent of households get. The NHL just can't get out of their own way. 

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah it doesn't matter to me where they have it, they ruined the nostalgia by having 20 outdoor games in a small time frame. Now, no one knows if it's "The Winter Classic" or just some rando outdoor game. Neither of which many people seem to care about as they are on a network only a small percent of households get. The NHL just can't get out of their own way. 

The whole thing needs to be held inside a snow globe or else there's no interest to it at all.  But hey, they sell a bunch of extra tickets, so go league!  Schedule all 20 of those games near the great lakes during lake effect season and hope for the best.  That's all they can really do if they want a true tv spectacle.

34 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don't mind the annual game on Jan 1.  And what households don't get NBC?  Kind of the whole strategy of the thing is to put it on national TV while people's other sports choice is one of the more meaningless bowl games.

I like the Winter Classic, it just sucks when you get two not-great teams playing in it.

Ours was so good because the Sabres and Pens were two of the league's best teams at the time.

It's really hard to top that.

I think they need to knock these "stadium series" games off though. They're diluting the spectacle with that. Just stick to one outdoor game every year.

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I like the Winter Classic, it just sucks when you get two not-great teams playing in it.

Ours was so good because the Sabres and Pens were two of the league's best teams at the time.

It's really hard to top that.

I think they need to knock these "stadium series" games off though. They're diluting the spectacle with that. Just stick to one outdoor game every year.

I think they should stick with two games.  One in the US and one in Canada.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't mind the annual game on Jan 1.  And what households don't get NBC?  Kind of the whole strategy of the thing is to put it on national TV while people's other sports choice is one of the more meaningless bowl games.

Me. Fios is fighting with the company that owns the local station and it is BLANK.

I could go out and buy an antenna but with my luck they will agree on a contract later that same day...LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Me. Fios is fighting with the company that owns the local station and it is BLANK.

I could go out and buy an antenna but with my luck they will agree on a contract later that same day...LOL

Ok, but that is an anomaly this year.

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think they should stick with two games.  One in the US and one in Canada.

Agreed. The Heritage Classic was the originator of the Winter Classic and tbh should probably overshadow it. Watching two Canadian teams duke it out outdoors is always good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Agreed. The Heritage Classic was the originator of the Winter Classic and tbh should probably overshadow it. Watching two Canadian teams duke it out outdoors is always good.

Anyone like you watching it would just be an added bonus to them.  They should do it with the Canadian tv audience solely in mind.  With all the money Rogers pays them, they need a game aimed at that country.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I didn't even know it was on there. I don't watch network TV nor do I have interest in this game so I'm never gonna see it. 

11 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Winter Classic is no longer a classic when it’s done ever year. It’s just another regular season game only less exciting. At least to me. 

So is the World Series no longer the fall classic because it's played every year? The Winter Classic is perfect. I love it. The problem is the NHL had to go and create the stadium series with 40 outdoor games per year (slight exaggeration), which completely took away the mystique. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

So is the World Series no longer the fall classic because it's played every year? The Winter Classic is perfect. I love it. The problem is the NHL had to go and create the stadium series with 40 outdoor games per year (slight exaggeration), which completely took away the mystique. 

I don’t see how something could be classic if it happens every year. To answer your question no, the World Series is another sport championship that happens every year. 

I agree the NHL also ruined the mystique. So IMO there is no mystique and there is no heightened anticipation that comes with extended time between iterations.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

In typical NHL fashion, they have no idea what their fans want so as soon as they think they got their finger on the pulse, they go full Sharknado pandering to the lowest common denominator without regard to integrity.  

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I don’t see how something could be classic if it happens every year. 

That's what makes it "classic."  Google provides definitions, if they are helpful.

The "Meineke Tip-Off Classic" to start the college basketball season in Toledo* isn't a classic in its first year, no matter the name.

*Yes, hypothetical, but also apt.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

1. Yes he did not return to the game

2.   Yes I’m a Doctor, poor attempt at humor on my part 

I'm turning 26 soon. I just need to know who I can harass on here for medical advice because webmd keeps telling me I'm dying

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

1. Yes he did not return to the game

2.   Yes I’m a Doctor, poor attempt at humor on my part 

I knew my doctor was legit when he looked at my torn MCL and said “Legs aren’t supposed to bend that way”...?