Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

How good is Rantanen? Sincere question because he haven’t seen much of him this year.

Ive always liked him as a prospect and a young player, but sort of projected a Filip Forsberg level guy, not a MacKinnon-level. He’s certainly surpassing that on the stats sheet.

Related, MacKinnon is the best value contract in the league by a mile. How does that affect Rantanen and how will Rantanen’s raise affect MacKinnon?

I admit that I have not watched more than a few highlights of him, but he really does seem to be the real deal.

I think MacKinnon will be an effective tool in talking with him when it comes to contract negotiations.  It very well could lead to another fantastic deal for the Avs and a insanely high, but not crazy pay day for him.

I still think MacKinnon is the better player, as he is a centre.

I have one single legitimate source in the NHL. At a recent holiday function, I had a chance to catch up with him for a bit, and chew the fat.

The one tidbit that I found absolutely fascinating: There are two high-level members of his team's FO who are actively campaigning with the GM to have him tell the coaches to play one of the team's young stars on a different line and/or in a modified role -- in an effort to tamp down production and control the next contract.

I was flabbergasted. He said something to the effect of "don't fool yourself - this sort of **** goes on all the time. ... well, it goes on all the time in organizations that don't have their *** completely together, anyway."

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I have one single legitimate source in the NHL. At a recent holiday function, I had a chance to catch up with him for a bit, and chew the fat.

The one tidbit that I found absolutely fascinating: There are two high-level members of his team's FO who are actively campaigning with the GM to have him tell the coaches to play one of the team's young stars on a different line and/or in a modified role -- in an effort to tamp down production and control the next contract.

I was flabbergasted. He said something to the effect of "don't fool yourself - this sort of **** goes on all the time. ... well, it goes on all the time in organizations that don't have their *** completely together, anyway."

You know someone who works for the Islanders?

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Torrana?

8 hours ago, shrader said:

I really don't know what to make of that market since it's so much bigger than anything else.  I know how close all of it is, but I've never really thought of that as 3 teams in the same area, especially since the Devils will probably pull from the rest of their state (stealing from the Philly fan pool a bit).  I don't know the Toronto surrounding area all that much.  Do they have anything even remotely similar in terms of a surrounding area to pull from?  It again gets complicated by Buffalo, especially in this day in age where they are going to be far more protective of their market than they would in the 60s-70s (not to say that they weren't protective then).

Thanks for this history lesson.  For some reason I thought the Islanders were from the WHA, but looking back, they were just there to keep the WHA out.  And the Mets?  Total brain fart there.

We live in Northern Westchester, Devils games are just across the bridge from Manhattan and easy and cheap relatively for tickets...next door to where the Giants and Jets play literally... All three teams are within 15 miles of each other.  So NYC metro area..yeh.  Isle playing in Brooklyn till new stadium is built next to Belmont raceway... gonna be nice based on designs I have seen.  Easy to get to by car or train and of course MSG.

Edited by North Buffalo

7 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Arizona or Dallas would be my likely candidates. 

40 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

If I had to guess, I'd say Arizona or Dallas would be my likely candidates. 

Who are either of them trying to prevent paying? Idk who that would be. It sounds like a Mickey Mouse org with young, good talent that they can't afford. So I'm guessing Florida, Carolina, or Colorado

Edited by WildCard

5 hours ago, WildCard said:

Who are either of them trying to prevent paying? Idk who that would be. It sounds like a Mickey Mouse org with young, good talent that they can't afford. So I'm guessing Florida, Carolina, or Colorado

A 3-guess approach. But we have a winner.

Also, I really am quite ignorant of what’s going on out west. I knew this team was doing well, but, until just now (JUST NOW!), had no idea they have the top 2 scorers in the league.

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

mowd5omrw4421.jpg

I like this guy.

12 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

A 3-guess approach. But we have a winner.

Also, I really am quite ignorant of what’s going on out west. I knew this team was doing well, but, until just now (JUST NOW!), had no idea they have the top 2 scorers in the league.

So, there you have it.

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Also, when I heard the name from him in a room crowded with revelers, I was like, “who?!” He knows what sort of hockey fan i am now — limited.

Limited only in the sense that you are very focused on your favourite team and some on the Eastern Conference (and not to go down that rabbit hole again, but I have always hated the East and West nonsense ... the NHL conferences shall always be Campbell and Prince of Wales) since that is where they play.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
only one too many letters this time, that's a marked improvement for me ...
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Limited only in the sense that you are very focused on your favourite team and some on the Eastern Conference (and not to go down that rabbit hole again, but I have always hated the East and West nonsense ... the NHL conferences shall always be Campbell and Prince of Wales) since that is where they play.

The Adams Division rivalries continue to this day.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Kerfoot?

Nah, man - that Euro leading the league in scoring. I can't even recall his name now. Mikko? Nikko? Dude's gonna get PAID.

And the FO is apparently hand-wringing over the imbalance that'd create with what they pay MacKinnon (sp?), who, it seems, made a poor deal.

57 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Appreciate that - I just know there's a lot I don't know.

And it's always Campbell and Wales, Adams and Norris, etc. in my mind.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nah, man - that Euro leading the league in scoring. I can't even recall his name now. Mikko? Nikko? Dude's gonna get PAID.

And the FO is apparently hand-wringing over the imbalance that'd create with what they pay MacKinnon (sp?), who, it seems, made a poor deal.

Appreciate that - I just know there's a lot I don't know.

And it's always Campbell and Wales, Adams and Norris, etc. in my mind.

Jesus, they're really trying to manipulate Rantanen? That kid is phenomenal. Pay him his money. 

39 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Jesus, they're really trying to manipulate Rantanen? That kid is phenomenal. Pay him his money. 

The MacKinnon dilemna is a real issue. It's going to be interesting to see who deals with their contract issues first, Toronto or Colorado