Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

On 2/17/2019 at 10:15 PM, SABRES 0311 said:

When it’s one of many blatant missed calls throughout the league you should. Maybe the game is getting too fast for on ice officials. 

Maybe Malkin is getting back some of what he dishes out? He's a dirty player that gets away with it because Syndy and Pitt...

2 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Maybe Malkin is getting back some of what he dishes out? He's a dirty player that gets away with it because Syndy and Pitt...

I agree they have dirty, whiny players. It just seems like refs this year are missing clear calls league wide. Or maybe I'm just paying more attention to refs lately and it only seems like this.

7 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Colin White, Ottawa, nets his 2nd of the game, 13th of the season and ties it at 5 in Chicago in the opening minute of the 2nd period.

You all should be familiar with Colin White, selected 21st overall in the 2015 draft. The very pick used to bring Lehner to Buffalo by one Tim Murray.

I didn't mind back in the day we gave up that 1st rounder.   But seeing he drafted him, knew him pretty well, his mental problems should have been very well known by TM.

If he didn't then he sucked even more as a gm, you don't give out a 1st for a goalie with mental problems, also he didn't seem to do much to help him here.

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I didn't mind back in the day we gave up that 1st rounder.   But seeing he drafted him, knew him pretty well, his mental problems should have been very well known by TM.

If he didn't then he sucked even more as a gm, you don't give out a 1st for a goalie with mental problems, also he didn't seem to do much to help him here.

Maybe GMTM was well aware of all the issues. He comes in and promotes a fast rebuild and knows he has to back it up with action. We get dazzled with move after move which creates false hope and stops us from researching how these moves affect us.

GMTM knows if he makes Lehner get help it goes public. Cats outta the bag our rookie GM used a first to get a tainted goalie. I wonder if TP found this out and it was part of his decision to fire GMTM. Total loss of ethical confidence.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

What possible knowledge do you think you would possess about Tim Murray’s efforts, or lack thereof, in helping Lehner?

13 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

That's strange that the US hasnt had many good goaltenders. Canada was big for them, and it now appears Europe is pumping them out now too.

My mind jumps to Ken Dryden and Eddie Belfour as Americans since they went the college route, but they're not.  And it's funny that you mention the europeans because there's only two of them in Hasek and Tretiak.  I'd imagine that Lundqvist will be added to that list someday, but I'm not really sure who else might be the next one.  I would have suggested Rinne if he could string together another 4 years or so, but now as I look, he's actually the same age as Lundqvist.

And back to Miller, he's probably just keeping that American throne warm for Jonathan Quick, unless LA stays in the basement for a while (if he stays there).

2 hours ago, shrader said:

My mind jumps to Ken Dryden and Eddie Belfour as Americans since they went the college route, but they're not.  And it's funny that you mention the europeans because there's only two of them in Hasek and Tretiak.  I'd imagine that Lundqvist will be added to that list someday, but I'm not really sure who else might be the next one.  I would have suggested Rinne if he could string together another 4 years or so, but now as I look, he's actually the same age as Lundqvist.

And back to Miller, he's probably just keeping that American throne warm for Jonathan Quick, unless LA stays in the basement for a while (if he stays there).

My wife looked some of this up last night and the only American born goalie in the HOF is Richter. And yeah, names like Belfour would come to mind but then remember that he is actually Canadian (heard he spends his time now playing in pickup and beer leagues outside of Toronto)

The Euro goalies are all more recent guys. As for Quick, I think injuries and whether he stays in LA will determine if he can take the title from Miller. How far off is Quick right now?

41 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

My wife looked some of this up last night and the only American born goalie in the HOF is Richter. And yeah, names like Belfour would come to mind but then remember that he is actually Canadian (heard he spends his time now playing in pickup and beer leagues outside of Toronto)

The Euro goalies are all more recent guys. As for Quick, I think injuries and whether he stays in LA will determine if he can take the title from Miller. How far off is Quick right now?

She was probably looking at the US hockey HoF list because Richter is not in the HoF.  The only american is Frank Brimsek.  His career ended in 1950, so PA is the only one around here who may have seen him play.

Quick is 71 behind Miller.  He's 33, so yeah, health and quality of team are probably the only thing that would stop him from catching Miller.

Edited by shrader

21 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He is in the US Hall, but not the big one.

There seems to be some debate about his induction, but I think his numbers are worthy.

Nope, and if he wasn't on that stupid 1994 Rags team, we wouldn't even be talking about it.

32 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

300+ wins ... 2.8(something) lifetime GAA.  I think he is worthy at least of serious consideration.

Goalie stats are so tough to figure out and compare.  I think Richter would find himself way behind others in line for the HoF.  He was never really considered to be among the best goalies in the league in any given year.  I know the Vezina may not be the best way to measure it, but Richter's top finish in the voting was 3rd place, and that was his second season.  Other than that, he never made it into the top 5.  If you can't beat out your contemporaries, you don't belong in the hall.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SDS said:

What possible knowledge do you think you would possess about Tim Murray’s efforts, or lack thereof, in helping Lehner?

yeah maybe I can't be sure, just wanted to say it seems like he didn't do much.   Lehner specifically said Botts did a lot to help him out.

DIdn't mention murray at all.

So, last night even the Bruins were hoping that Thorton would score Nother goal against them to make it 4.......

They remember his quote from when Hertl as a rookie scored 4 goals in a game and people accused him of showboating. When they asked Thorton if he thought it was showboating and he said "Hell No, if it was me scoring 4 goals I would have my 'gentlemen sausage' out waving it around and stroking my 'gentlemen sausage' "

The Bruins players seemed to be ready to hold him to his quote......

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

300+ wins ... 2.8(something) lifetime GAA.  I think he is worthy at least of serious consideration.

Compare his stats  to those others from the same era..  Hasek, Roy, Belfoour, Brodeur.

Nope.

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

yeah maybe I can't be sure, just wanted to say it seems like he didn't do much.   Lehner specifically said Botts did a lot to help him out.

Murray is an Alchy, he would have to do something about himself... just saying JBOTs seems like his much more level headed... good enough remains to be seen but better than Murray.

17 hours ago, SDS said:

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Speculation on some topics is expected. I'm sure most people would recognize those who helped or made a difference in their lives. Unless Huck is wrong it seems Lehner is acknowledging JBott but not TM. The poster took the information he had and commented on his interpretation. Maybe he's wrong maybe he's right.