Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The 5 years buys 1 year of UFA.  They went with that because his price became too expensive when buying additional years of FA.  A 6 year deal would've been over $12/ & anything over that would've eclipsed McClavicle's deal.

Somebody doesn't want to be in Toronto long term.

Just now, WildCard said:

Where's pi when you need him? Auston Matthews finally does something that is clearly 100% about the money, and there's no pi

I don't want to say it's 100% about the money.  He could have guaranteed around 50% more money than he got.  Sure there's a bigger contract waiting in five years, but there's a definite risk involved in assuming you're healthy or performing well enough to get that next contract.  There's a reason why you so rarely see this move from the top players.

Just now, shrader said:

I don't want to say it's 100% about the money.  He could have guaranteed around 50% more money than he got.  Sure there's a bigger contract waiting in five years, but there's a definite risk involved in assuming you're healthy or performing well enough to get that next contract.  There's a reason why you so rarely see this move from the top players.

That would make it seem 100% about the money then. He knows he's going to get more in 5 years then he would if he just accepted the longer deal like you say. Sure he's taking a risk, but it's a risk driven solely by the motivation to make more money

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Keeps the cap low enough that they feel they can sign everyone they need too and compete for the cup for 4-6 years. 

Kapenen and Johnsson have to be targets for offer sheets. The seasons they are having put them above 2.25 Million AAV.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised if Kadri gets moved. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just saw this.  Wow what an interesting deal.  Looks like the leafs have a 6 year window.  I donno if I like this deal or not.  This frees up a couple mil per season over the next 5 years but obviously creates some problems for them once the 5 year extension ends.  Tavares probably has 5 years of high end production left as well.  They're going for it and in a salary cap era you can't blame them.  Let's just hope they don't win this year or next five.  I think after that they could be in some trouble.  This certainly opens up a stronger possibility Matthews does not retire a leaf but also increase the odds they win a cup over the next few years.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Explain?

Sorry. I just saw the super majority being paid as bonus and recalled, generally, how this was something that flush franchises would do in order to further entice players. Pegula has done it several times, IIRC. The idea being: Salary can be clawed back by a newly negotiated CBA. In the past, the same could not happen with regard to bonus money.

1 hour ago, ... said:

I think someone is looking for an even larger payday where ever he can find it.

Feckin' well right. And why on earth not?

Is it still a thing that fans smirk and disapprove of players for being largely motivated by money and their own financial self interest when it comes to negotiating a contract? FWIW: I'm so over that.

14 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Just saw this.  Wow what an interesting deal.  Looks like the leafs have a 6 year window.  I donno if I like this deal or not.  This frees up a couple mil per season over the next 5 years but obviously creates some problems for them once the 5 year extension ends.  Tavares probably has 5 years of high end production left as well.  They're going for it and in a salary cap era you can't blame them.  Let's just hope they don't win this year or next five.  I think after that they could be in some trouble.  This certainly opens up a stronger possibility Matthews does not retire a leaf but also increase the odds they win a cup over the next few years.

While I agree with all of this, the one thing they've not addressed, their competition in the East, specifically Tampa Bay, Washington, Pittsburg and the unseen as yet up and comers.

But those 4 teams specifically have 2 to 4 yrs left of windows themselves. The East is going to be a blood bath for the next 4 yrs to be sure.

47 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Feckin' well right. And why on earth not?

Is it still a thing that fans smirk and disapprove of players for being largely motivated by money and their own financial self interest when it comes to negotiating a contract? FWIW: I'm so over that.

The  Sabres need to win tonight.  Fans are being aggressive toward each other over nothing. No where in my post or the post of others' that preceded mine is there anything deserving of this response.

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

/chest tap 

My bad.

I think it's an interesting topic to bring up, though. Matthews has always come off, to me, as all about the money.  If we contrast that to someone who doesn't seem that way (although we quite obviously don't know) who, in my view, is Skinner - which do you want on your team?  Does it matter?

I have no issue with guys that are all about the money, some who are when I discover that is their thing, it surprises me, but this is rare.  I think I can usually spot a player who is motivated by their bank accounts.  You can also add status/image to that.  Kane is a fine of example of a money/status/image-motivated player.

Many of these guys who don't have winning at the top of their list of motivations, though, combined with some sort of love-for-the-game or feel-it-in-my-bones type of motivation can have a reckless streak in them. Again, see Kane (actually, both Kanes).  Who doesn't envision Matthews putting himself in a partying football-player-esque situation at least once?  Might not be fair, but if it happens I wouldn't be shocked.

16 hours ago, WildCard said:

That would make it seem 100% about the money then. He knows he's going to get more in 5 years then he would if he just accepted the longer deal like you say. Sure he's taking a risk, but it's a risk driven solely by the motivation to make more money

Isn't pretty much every contract signing about money though?  This one leaves him the option to head somewhere else if he wants out.  So there is definitely motivation other than money involved here.  Labeling something as 100% about money is way too extreme.  It doesn't leave the room for any discussion.

33 minutes ago, shrader said:

Isn't pretty much every contract signing about money though?  This one leaves him the option to head somewhere else if he wants out.  So there is definitely motivation other than money involved here.  Labeling something as 100% about money is way too extreme.  It doesn't leave the room for any discussion.

Alright, it's 99% about the money then

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Alright, it's 99% about the money then

I might be missing the tone here (snark radar is on the fritz), but I'll say that this over-simplifies matters.

YMMV, of course, but it seems an absolute certainty that players balance a variety of factors when negotiating a deal and deciding where to play.

I'm in agreement that guaranteed money is the leading factor that gets weighed. But it's not as dominant as suggested above.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I might be missing the tone here (snark radar is on the fritz), but I'll say that this over-simplifies matters.

YMMV, of course, but it seems an absolute certainty that players balance a variety of factors when negotiating a deal and deciding where to play.

I'm in agreement that guaranteed money is the leading factor that gets weighed. But it's not as dominant as suggested above.

98% then

But that's as low as I'll go