Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

A fight is the only play where ALL fans in attendance rise out of their seats.... not just fans of whichever team scored.   

The game is turning into a skills contest... which some people like.     Don't get me wrong, I like watching skill plays... but I also want to see some emotion, some real hatred between the benches. 

When Buffalo went down 4-2, if this was 10 years ago... you can bet there would've been a fight within a few minutes of that 4th goal... just to try and energize the Sabre bench and get some momentum back.     That simply doesn't happen anymore and we see teams simply throw in the towel when things aren't going their way.... and as a fan it's disappointing. 

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

A fight is the only play where ALL fans in attendance rise out of their seats.... not just fans of whichever team scored.   

The game is turning into a skills contest... which some people like.     Don't get me wrong, I like watching skill plays... but I also want to see some emotion, some real hatred between the benches. 

When Buffalo went down 4-2, if this was 10 years ago... you can bet there would've been a fight within a few minutes of that 4th goal... just to try and energize the Sabre bench and get some momentum back.     That simply doesn't happen anymore and we see teams simply throw in the towel when things aren't going their way.... and as a fan it's disappointing. 

I remember the old saying..."I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out".

2 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I remember the old saying..."I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out".

That brings back some memories.... my Dad used to say "hey, a hockey game broke out"... anytime there was a fight in any other sport we were watching.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I humbly request evidence that teams are less likely to come back in today's game. 

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I humbly request evidence that teams are less likely to come back in today's game. 

Watch the 3rd period of the BUF/FLA game.... or the BUF/PHI game... or the TOR/FLA game tonight.... teams get down and there's no spark to ignite a comeback.    The bench just waives the white flag and the head coach acts puzzled why there was no push back.    

14 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Pi's half right on this one. They show the stats all the time during games, teams are very unlikely to come back after the 2nd period. Whether that's less likely than it used to be, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. Defenses have only gotten better, and I would imagine as such, much better at protecting a lead. I don't think it has anything to do with not trying though

Edited by WildCard
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Watch the 3rd period of the BUF/FLA game.... or the BUF/PHI game... or the TOR/FLA game tonight.... teams get down and there's no spark to ignite a comeback.    The bench just waives the white flag and the head coach acts puzzled why there was no push back.    

Didn’t the Sabres make a habit of comebacks during the winning streak? 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, WildCard said:

I think it's pretty insulting to call NHL players, essentially, stupid. Playing a sport for a living does not make you inherently simple

I’m not calling them stupid. Truly.

I think they are generally simple men doing physically phenomenal, incredibly demanding things. Simple.

I actually have forgotten what the original line of conversation here was — my point, yours.

I really don’t mean it as an insult. Simple guys. Simple things going on out there. LET’S GO, BOYS!! And so on.

14 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Our esteemed Smell, whom I assume you are pointing this to, did not say simple-minded, which would be insulting.  Being 'simple' does not mean what you seem to think it does.  If you don't believe me, just ask my friend Ronnie.  He'll tell you.

This seems about right.

Who’s Ronnie?

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

I read this and recalled 

21 minutes ago, bg17 said:

Didn’t the Sabres make a habit of comebacks during the winning streak? 

My thought too.

6 hours ago, WildCard said:

Pi's half right on this one. They show the stats all the time during games, teams are very unlikely to come back after the 2nd period. Whether that's less likely than it used to be, I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. Defenses have only gotten better, and I would imagine as such, much better at protecting a lead. I don't think it has anything to do with not trying though

Yeah - my sense is that comebacks are down because teams have become so good, so specialized at locking it down.

It’d be a Herculean effort to gather truly comparative data on this subject.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I’m not calling them stupid. Truly.

I think they are generally simple men doing physically phenomenal, incredibly demanding things. Simple.

I actually have forgotten what the original line of conversation here was — my point, yours.

I really don’t mean it as an insult. Simple guys. Simple things going on out there. LET’S GO, BOYS!! And so on.

This seems about right.

Who’s Ronnie?

I read this and recalled 

My thought too.

Yeah - my sense is that comebacks are down because teams have become so good, so specialized at locking it down.

It’d be a Herculean effort to gather truly comparative data on this subject.

Ronnie Van Zant.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, Taro T said:

Which isn't right.  The system I've proposed would've allowed them to potentially meet in the Finals rather than bash each other in the 2nd round making them easy pickings for Vegas.

I don't think the Preds bashed them THAT bad...they couldn't beat MAF was the story of that series. I would've ran him a few times but that's me. They needed to get him off of his game..."out of his groove" and couldn't. C'est la vie. Lesson learned.

I think the idea of home advantage is WAY too over rated. In the Jets-Preds series, only two games were won at home and game 7 was won in NSH. I would much rather go into the playoffs healthy and rested than going in with the 1st overall and home advantage and worn down players and players injured. I don't think Maurice rested players enough but that's me too.

I would have rested more players and ran MAF...hahahahhahahash.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2018 at 10:37 PM, SwampD said:

Why, because someone challenged him to a fight and he won?

And I’m not even disagreeing with you.

He had his gloves off damn quick, should have squared up with the Pens player instead of basically jumping him. Even when he tries to be honorable Wilson fails. Everything he touches turns to cheap. 

And Rutherford should apologize to Oleksiak. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Ducky said:

I don't think the Preds bashed them THAT bad...they couldn't beat MAF was the story of that series. I would've ran him a few times but that's me. They needed to get him off of his game..."out of his groove" and couldn't. C'est la vie. Lesson learned.

I think the idea of home advantage is WAY too over rated. In the Jets-Preds series, only two games were won at home and game 7 was won in NSH. I would much rather go into the playoffs healthy and rested than going in with the 1st overall and home advantage and worn down players and players injured. I don't think Maurice rested players enough but that's me too.

I would have rested more players and ran MAF...hahahahhahahash.

Was a tale of 2 series for the Jets. Rinne was a complete sieve (laughably bad in game 7) and Fleury was a stud. 

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Wheeler took a Byfuglien shot directly to the stomach/ribs and could barely crawl off the ice... Best case that looks like a bruised rib, not good for WPG.

He took it in the junk

Edited by WildCard

8 hours ago, WildCard said:

He took it in the junk

I'd say that bruised junk is many times worse than bruised ribs.  I have had both, but not from playing hockey.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

The Soviets had one who wore 20 and then Belfour adopted that.

Yup.  The original wearer of 20 was the best goalie to ever play the game, IMO.