Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

Things can only get better for them if they're freed of Melnyk.  I'm still waiting for that forensic analysis of Matt Cooke's skate blade placement.

Exactly.  We thought OSP and Quinn were bad?  Melnyk makes them look like big spenders.

Exactly.  We thought OSP and Quinn were bad?  Melnyk makes them look like big spenders.

At least I'll get to watch the s-show that's unfolding out here in Carolina as we speak.  I hope this guy never stops tripping over his own feet.

I saw a tweet that says Doughty is finalizing an 8 year extension with the Kings. This is great news for those of us hoping Toronto never gets a 1D. 

So in one thread I'm still stressed as ###### the leafs are going to get Tavares, but this is extremely reassuring.  Thanks for the update.

Edited by Derrico

So in one thread I'm still stressed as ###### the leafs are going to get Tavares, but this is extremely reassuring.  Thanks for the update.

I'd much rather them lose depth due to a Tavares 12 mil a year deal (especially because I think he'll be their 3rd best player pretty quickly) than to Doughty at less than that.

I'd much rather them lose depth due to a Tavares 12 mil a year deal (especially because I think he'll be their 3rd best player pretty quickly) than to Doughty at less than that.

I do agree I'd rather they get tavares then doughty (I think) but I would still rather neither one.

LeBrun confirms

Kings and Drew Doughty put in the finishing touches today. Expect an announcement from the LA Kings later today on an 8-year contract for the star defenceman.

AAV expected to be just under 11 Million

If Dahlin turns out how we want him to be... Yikes, that'll be a big chunk of the cap tied up between him and Jack.

If Dahlin turns out how we want him to be... Yikes, that'll be a big chunk of the cap tied up between him and Jack.

This should make you feel better

The Kings now have ~$54M in 2020-21 cap space tied up in:

38 year old Ilya Kovalchuk

36 year old Dustin Brown

36 year old Jeff Carter

36 year old Dion Phaneuf

35 year old Jonathan Quick

33 year old Anze Kopitar

33 year old Alec Martinez

31 year old Drew Doughty

LeBrun confirms

Kings and Drew Doughty put in the finishing touches today. Expect an announcement from the LA Kings later today on an 8-year contract for the star defenceman.

AAV expected to be just under 11 Million

No wonder we’re hearing the trade market is light for Karlsson.

I think that has a lot more to do with tying Bobby Ryan's carcass to the deal than it does what Karlsson is going to be paid.

Can you imagine having to tie close to $20 million in that pair, and have to give up a good player, two high picks and your best prospect?

36 year old Dustin Brown

36 year old Jeff Carter

36 year old Dion Phaneuf

33 year old Anze Kopitar

31 year old Drew Doughty

giphy.gif

Athletic subscribers, did you read the great piece from ScottBurnside who was embedded with the Canes during the draft?

Confirmed they had been talking to the Sabres about O’Reilly and implied Hamilton was deemed a better move for them because of age and because of Fox.

Also a great look at the dynamic between the new hands-on owner and the old-school staff.

To be in an NHL war room would be amazing.

Edited by dudacek

36 year old Dustin Brown

36 year old Jeff Carter

36 year old Dion Phaneuf

33 year old Anze Kopitar

31 year old Drew Doughty

giphy.gif

Accurate. The Kings are absolutely . I have no idea why Doughty signed an extension there

Can you imagine having to tie close to $20 million in that pair, and have to give up a good player, two high picks and your best prospect?

When you put it like that, that is insane

Found this pretty funny 

TIL Jeff Gorton was the Bruins' interim GM for 113 days in 2006. He drafted Kessel, Marchand, and Lucic, traded Raycroft for Rask, and signed Chara and Savard as free agents.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/8ufhwv/til_jeff_gorton_was_the_bruins_interim_gm_for_113/

Another Sheary-style trade.

Armia helps the Habs, allows the Jets to re-sign Stastny.

Also, future cap space is a forgotten element in some of these big trades.

Doesn’t the trade tree now look something like

Myers, Lemieux, late 1st and Bourque for Bogosian, O’Regan, late first, (Sheary and Hunwick?)

Edited by dudacek

Athletic subscribers, did you read the great piece from ScottBurnside who was embedded with the Canes during the draft?

Confirmed they had been talking to the Sabres about O’Reilly and implied Hamilton was deemed a better move for them because of age and because of Fox..

Because of Fox?