Downfall of The Buffalo News

IKnowPhysics

19 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The proverbial "side hustle," sure. But make no mistake: TBN is enacting massive cost cuts by hiring people on as independent contractors. It's unfortunate that a quality writer like Hoppe can't just be hired as an employee by a (formerly) major (mid-major) media outlet and be paid an adequate salary by that single employer. Instead, he's got to patch it together. I think that's an unfortunate turn of events for writers, generally, whether journalists or otherwise.

Side note on side hustles: I chuckle to myself when I hear fellow Gen Xers talk about how millennials are lazy -- so many of those young 'uns work multiple professional jobs in order to make a life. That was not generally the case for my X peers when I was the age that millennials are now. 

I'd imagine so many of these writers are used to that though.  It's new at the snews, but things as a whole have been going that way for a while now.  Just about every single one of those writers had to have gone through it while they were breaking in.  Hopefully the more seasoned have learned a lot from it and adapted to that lifestyle.  I've been fortunate and haven't had to deal with that type of employment setting, but I'd imagine there's a whole hell of a lot of people out there who can relate to it.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The proverbial "side hustle," sure. But make no mistake: TBN is enacting massive cost cuts by hiring people on as independent contractors. It's unfortunate that a quality writer like Hoppe can't just be hired as an employee by a (formerly) major (mid-major) media outlet and be paid an adequate salary by that single employer. Instead, he's got to patch it together. I think that's an unfortunate turn of events for writers, generally, whether journalists or otherwise.

Side note on side hustles: I chuckle to myself when I hear fellow Gen Xers talk about how millennials are lazy -- so many of those young 'uns work multiple professional jobs in order to make a life. That was not generally the case for my X peers when I was the age that millennials are now. 

It's a great time to be a creative- keep your career fresh by working 5 or 6 different freelance gigs at once, while making connections as a barista (bonus day old muffins/bagels to cut that grocery bill)! Get that change of pace you always wanted- build a resume that no one will read! Feel the thrill of a feast or famine bank account. Bask in the warm embrace of exposure- as your posts get thousands of social media impressions and internet points, and zero dollars towards your rent and student loans! Or... join the Athletic- and have some job security! 

I've had a sad convo or two with NHL writers/creatives. Things are ok when hockey's on. But the minute that off-season hits, it's ramen noodles and couch surfing. People with those vaunted blue checkmarks on twitter, people listened to and revered, barely making it work. Sometimes that's tougher on writers- the creatives I know can at least sell prints/hop industries a little easier. But the designers (esp. freelance) are usually screwed over a little more during the season, so I guess it evens out. 

Not sure there's a fix, but it definitely is a tough one for many. I don't see the industry dying out, it's in high demand, it's just poorly structured. I hope something changes. 

Edited by josie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 7 months later...

Another shot at Harrington from Vogl?

#DearMeTenYearsAgo You're about to see 468 losses, 13 playoff games, $25 million in buyouts, eight GMs and coaches (including one with gardening gloves), acres of empty seats and a TurdBurger. On the plus side, you won't always work with that guy.

If so, (i) Harrington really must've been a peach to be around and (ii) this doesn't reflect well on Vogl either.

30 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Another shot at Harrington from Vogl?

If so, (i) Harrington really must've been a peach to be around and (ii) this doesn't reflect well on Vogl either.

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Eh, he could be talking about the guy who brought the mail around the office.

His reply to a commenter in the thread makes it pretty clear that it's about Harrington.  And I think Vogl is just being petty at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

JFC. Awful.

These TBN alumns are starting to bring me around to supporting Harrington. Which is really saying something.

Better to despise them all.

Like, weird ... Vogl.

Regarding Jim Kelley ...  I enjoyed his work as a hockey fan.  Life gave me several interactions with him, largely, but not solely, tangential.  Investigating and reporting a story can be tough, dirty, business.  I love to write and edit.   I don't have it in me to be a reporter.

• Like (+1) 1

Contributors to the BN decline, and this applies to most all papers in cities all over 5he USA, are mostly external factors.  

- Demise of Courier Express  and second papers in most Cities, 

- Cable TV with 24/7 News, Sports Channels, etc 

- Internet reporting/ forums/ blogs, streaming, 

- smart phone hand held on demand access to more information than a newspaper can provide   

People get their news differently today than we did in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s.  Even adverts, coupons, sales, and shopping habits changes have contributed to people not buying the paper.  

As a kid I loved the Saturday Buffalo Evening News and the Sunday Courier Express.  These Newspapers were as much a part of the weekend as was no school, family time, entertainment, and a sense of community thru interactions at church and with family/ friends.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

He’s a far superior talent, but he comes off as just as much (maybe even more) of a d1ck.

I don't know if you're woke enough on this issue, but civilized people no longer use a slang word for the male penis to insult someone. It's May 2019.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't know if you're woke enough on this issue, but civilized people no longer use a slang word for the male penis to insult someone. It's May 2019.

This is correct.  We just use “penis” now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.