Kim Pegula On Key Bank Center and The Sabres

Brawndo

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Then it's started at the top for at least three ownership groups (hockey) and two (football).  (IMO, the Sabres under the Knoxes were actually pretty clever--there was no social media then, obviously, but the "Taro Sez" stuff on the scoreboards was cool. Actually, the whole Taro thing.)

I dunno. There was an era in there somewhere -- the Warrener's corner stuff (movie reviews), some moody black and white day in the life video features (those came later, IIRC) -- where the content was good to very good. As much as it pains me to say it, I think Larry Quinn was ultimately in charge at the time.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

I can't find the image...

About 7-10 years ago, they sent out a promotional piece to STHs with picture of Brian Moorman punting from his end zone. The caption was "Awaiting your return" or something similar.

They got crushed for sending out a picture of the punter from a pisspoor team.

He was the most popular player on the team at the time. He was also the only Bills Pro Bowler that year. It wasn't that stupid to feature him.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

53 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sure. But the problem starts at the top, imo.

Yeah, I hope the Pegulas sell the team and finally get it moved. Unless, of course, some of the brilliant minds on here buy it and then finally It will be run right. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He was the most popular player on the team at the time. He was also the only Bills Pro Bowler that year. It wasn't that stuinid to feature him.

Hyping the f###### punter, especially when he is your team's ONLY Pro bowler, does not build excitement for the coming season.  RATHER IT GLARINGLY AND OBVIOUSLY POINTS OUT that the f###### product WILL NOT be entertaining.

Hey, want to see good FOOTBALL played?  Well, don't come here.  We will let you see some pretty impressive hang time MULTIPLE times / game, typically resulting in that most exciting OF ALL football plays - the fair catch.  Now, some might find a touchback to be even MORE exciting, but our marketing GURU has data proving that the most exciting play in the formerly Rich Stadium IS the fair catch.

Has ANYONE not related to the punter in the ENTIRE history of professional football (not just NFL, but AAFL, WFL, CFL, USFL, etc.) decided to pay money to watch a football game to see a guy who was a fulltime punter?  (That Q WAS rhetorical, btw.)

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Hyping the f###### punter, especially when he is your team's ONLY Pro bowler, does not build excitement for the coming season.  RATHER IT GLARINGLY AND OBVIOUSLY POINTS OUT that the f###### product WILL NOT be entertaining.

Hey, want to see good FOOTBALL played?  Well, don't come here.  We will let you see some pretty impressive hang time MULTIPLE times / game, typically resulting in that most exciting OF ALL football plays - the fair catch.  Now, some might find a touchback to be even MORE exciting, but our marketing GURU has data proving that the most exciting play in the formerly Rich Stadium IS the fair catch.

Has ANYONE not related to the punter in the ENTIRE history of professional football (not just NFL, but AAFL, WFL, CFL, USFL, etc.) decided to pay money to watch a football game to see a guy who was a fulltime punter?  (That Q WAS rhetorical, btw.)

It sums up that era of Bills football perfectly.  I'd say they made the perfect choice.

Just now, shrader said:

It sums up that era of Bills football perfectly.  I'd say they made the perfect choice.

NOT if the goal is to sell tickets.  

The point of marketing is to lie but not so blatently that you violate false advertising statutes.  This isn't supposed to have been the plotline of Crazy People.  Sure, Volvos are boxy & boring, but they're safe ...

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

The endless quest for fault.

Just now, Taro T said:

NOT if the goal is to sell tickets.  

The point of marketing is to lie but not so blatently that you violate false advertising statutes.  This isn't supposed to have been the plotline of Crazy People.  Sure, Volvos are boxy & boring, but they're safe ...

So tell me, how much of a hit did ticket sales take from the "Motorman Debacle?"

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The endless quest for fault.

Me?  If I told people about a team who sold a ton of punter jerseys and that they missed the playoffs for almost 20 straight years, I'm guessing most wouldn't be surprised.  They sucked for a very long time.  There's no denying that and there's no quest for fault here.

5 hours ago, shrader said:

Me?  If I told people about a team who sold a ton of punter jerseys and that they missed the playoffs for almost 20 straight years, I'm guessing most wouldn't be surprised.  They sucked for a very long time.  There's no denying that and there's no quest for fault here.

Sorry, I was referring to Taro.

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

Yep, your endless quest to find fault in your fellow fans continues unabated.

Wah wah wah. Promo's mean to me!

Your friends won't point out how petty your points are.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

On 7/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The only thing the Rigas' were clever about was accounting.  Sugar Packets and RW are in the same column, they never spent a dime on anything they deemed unnecessary, and the Pegulas have been plagued by hucksters and incompetence since the day they bought the franchises.

The good thing about the Beane/McDermott/Botterill/Housley hires is that Terry publicly owned them, after saying something to the effect that he didn't play a big part in Tim Murray's hire. There's nowhere to run if the hires turn out to be bad ones. (And nowhere for critics like me to go if they turn out to be good ones.) As for the teams' president, also: nowhere to hide.

On 7/17/2018 at 1:41 PM, Radar said:

Yeah, I hope the Pegulas sell the team and finally get it moved. Unless, of course, some of the brilliant minds on here buy it and then finally It will be run right. 

He's just one of us. And if he posted here, he'd be a laughingstock. I'd give the franchise keys to any regular poster on this board before I'd give them to him. I met a guy in Olean who was very good friends with Terry back in the day. His comment? "Terry thinks he knows a lot more than he does." Also, apparently, he was almost impossible to beat at racquetball. Extremely competitive fellow. He liked Terry's first wife, Linda.

Edited by PASabreFan

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

The good thing about the Beane/McDermott/Botterill/Housley hires is that Terry publicly owned them, after saying something to the effect that he didn't play a big part in Tim Murray's hire. There's nowhere to run if the hires turn out to be bad ones. (And nowhere for critics like me to go if they turn out to be good ones.) As for the teams' president, also: nowhere to hide.

He's just one of us. And if he posted here, he'd be a laughingstock. I'd give the franchise keys to any regular poster on this board before I'd give them to him. I met a guy in Olean who was very good friends with Terry back in the day. His comment? "Terry thinks he knows a lot more than he does." Also, apparently, he was almost impossible to beat at racquetball. Extremely competitive fellow. He liked Terry's first wife, Linda.

You complete me

So what would you guys have come up with? My mind instantly went to — the time of the goal 7:16 (Milt Ear Worm). No playoff overtime goals were scored at that time. I'd then look for any goal scored at 7:16 in recent years, hopefully by someone still a Sabre. Rather thin odds. Absent a real goal with accompanying pic, better yet maybe, I'd make up a fictional future goal at 7:16. Eichel from Mittelstadt and Dahlin? A great pic, maybe Photoshopped with the scoreboard showing that time, with the money text, something like — 7:16. Always a great time to celebrate Buffalo.

Perhaps that completely falls flat, but I'm pretty sure I just spent five more minutes thinking about it than the creative team did.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

So what would you guys have come up with? My mind instantly went to — the time of the goal 7:16 (Milt Ear Worm). No playoff overtime goals were scored at that time. I'd then look for any goal scored at 7:16 in recent years, hopefully by someone still a Sabre. Rather thin odds. Absent a real goal with accompanying pic, better yet maybe, I'd make up a fictional future goal at 7:16. Eichel from Mittelstadt and Dahlin? A great pic, maybe Photoshopped with the scoreboard showing that time, with the money text, something like — 7:16. Always a great time to celebrate Buffalo.

Perhaps that completely falls flat, but I'm pretty sure I just spent five more minutes thinking about it than the creative team did.

So your scoreboard would read 7:16?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.