Kim Pegula On Key Bank Center and The Sabres

Brawndo

When they start building billion dollar libraries we can debate that.

If it is for fans then I'm happy with a 500 million dollar stadium that's not over the top fancy.

What does $500 million get you vs. putting $125 million into Rich? What's even wrong with Rich?

The pleasure palace would be for us, not for him.  Not saying that there aren't better options for the $1B that we don't have, but stadiums are for fans, not owners, just like libraries* are for readers, not authors.

*yes I did.

What if you substitute customer for fan?

I’m having fun, this morning .....

The Roman Colosseum was built, approximately, during the years 70 A.D. to 80 A.D.

Just twenty years later, Juvenal wrote ...

“… Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.”

A twenty year span in a 1,300 year empire. Almost smack dab in the middle. Tipping points and sharks jumping .... cue Santayana.

Building a new Arena?  Tough for a city/region the size of Buffalo. But I have been to a few of the new(er) ones...they are nice...REALLY nice compared to the Key Bank Center.

Typical lame excuse. Cities all over the country build new facilities

John Wawrow Tweeted Earlier this week that a complete overhaul of New Era Field to bring it to the standards the NFL is seeking would cost 540 Million.

I wonder if they want to built a convention center and new stadium if they would have the state and the county pay for Convention Center and infrastructure improvements. While the Pegulas, the NFL and a third party split the cost of the stadium.

Right now the NFL G 4 Program will loan the Bills 250 Million, as long as the Pegulas pledge at least a matching amount. There have been rumors that Delaware North is interested in helping with the building of a downtown stadium. Maybe for naming rights or some other exclusive deal?

And things can change politically, but I remember The Bulldog talking about how extra money was sent downstate for the Tappan Zee Bridge, with the understanding that Buffalo would get its fair share when the time for a stadium. The Parkers are close friends with a local state senator.

Also any new complex would need to have a large hotel to increase occupancy. Maybe a JW Marriott?

Freeman says we gotta spend a billion. Let's use that as the max. That means if we get 250k from Pegula, 250k from the NFL, 250 from the state, we're still short 250. If Delaware north wants to chip in 250 that's 1 billion. With minimal contributions from the taxpayers of Erie county

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Heinz field cost $281 million to build. Using US govt inflation data, that equals about $390 million today) Of course some 'inflation' is different than other forms.

Ford Field cost $500 million when it opened in 2002...about $700 million now inflation adjusted.

What I'd like to see is NOT the one stadium they decide on...and then hear about the cost...but how about show the public 3-4 stadium proposals..show us what we would get for a total of $400 million...then show us an option for $650 million...another for $800 million..and then the $1billion option....with breakdowns of where all the costs are going.  Do that in the public BEFORE picking the final choice.

Edited by mjd1001

^ Voice of reason right here.

There is no reason why a new stadium must cost $1B.

As for PA's question as to what is wrong with the current stadium, there are minor nitpicky concerns (the bathrooms suck, for example), but really, it's almost 50 years old.  The only one that's older that's not being replaced is in Green Bay.  And ours is in a horrible location.  (So is Green Bay's, really.)

We have a world-class concert hall, even though we live in a small city.  We have an indoor arena that is more than adequate, although it needs some TLC.

Our convention center was obsolete before it was built and our football stadium is old and in the middle of nowhere.  It might be time to look at those.

Edited by Eleven

Every big public works project in NYS costs much more than it needs to cost.  It shouldn't, but it does, primarily due to outrageous levels of corruption in the state government and the unions, and it's not going to change for a new WNY football stadium.

If Wawrow said an overhaul of RWS will cost $540MM, that # came from somewhere.  An overhaul will almost certainly cost at least 25% more than whatever # is floated publicly, and, as sure as the sun will rise in the East and the tank was a terrible idea, will not cost less.

And if an overhaul will cost at least $540MM, a new stadium will cost over $1B for open air and over $1.5B for a dome.

We can kid ourselves all we want, but them's the facts.

Every big public works project in NYS costs much more than it needs to cost.  It shouldn't, but it does, primarily due to outrageous levels of corruption in the state government and the unions, and it's not going to change for a new WNY football stadium.

If Wawrow said an overhaul of RWS will cost $540MM, that # came from somewhere.  An overhaul will almost certainly cost at least 25% more than whatever # is floated publicly, and, as sure as the sun will rise in the East and the tank was a terrible idea, will not cost less.

And if an overhaul will cost at least $540MM, a new stadium will cost over $1B for open air and over $1.5B for a dome.

We can kid ourselves all we want, but them's the facts.

Except for that obnoxious, dead horse beating comment about the tank I agree.

I'm not sure where the "in game experience" thread has gotten off to. So I'll use this one.

Get a load of this: The woman who does the voice-overs for the Vegas Knight pre-game productions is a local (Buffalo) actress -- Eileen Dugan.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/wnyer-makes-her-stanley-cup-debut/71-559249341

I'm not sure where the "in game experience" thread has gotten off to. So I'll use this one.

Get a load of this: The woman who does the voice-overs for the Vegas Knight pre-game productions is a local (Buffalo) actress -- Eileen Dugan.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/local/wnyer-makes-her-stanley-cup-debut/71-559249341

Holy , she was my teacher like forever ago.  

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Only the best and brightest at PSE. They definitely aren't just hiring their mediocre friends. Nope, no way. 

It's just a bad outfit, really. Being pedestrian and unimaginative is (are?) one thing -- but being fundamentally incompetent is taking things to a whole 'nother level.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.