Kim Pegula On Key Bank Center and The Sabres

Brawndo

There’s a whole system and a whole metrics on season tickets related to revenue that the league imposes, so we’ve always tried to follow that to make sure that we do the best thing for our organization.

I'd like to know more about this. Is she talking about the CBA and a fear of losing revenue sharing?

I'd like to know more about this. Is she talking about the CBA and a fear of losing revenue sharing?

Interesting tidbit, for sure. A pity there was no follow up. But that’s PSE for you.

//(Awaits reply about how Harrington would have got the answer.)//

Building a new Arena? Tough for a city/region the size of Buffalo. But I have been to a few of the new(er) ones...they are nice...REALLY nice compared to the Key Bank Center.

Well, a new hockey arena would be considerably cheaper than a new football stadium. It might even make more sense to staple a new convention center to an arena than to a stadium.

However, where would a new arena leave the current one and Harborcenter? Would it be a demo/replacement of the current arena? If so, where does the team play in the meantime? If not, what do they do with the existing facility? I'm fascinated by this all.

Well, a new hockey arena would be considerably cheaper than a new football stadium. It might even make more sense to staple a new convention center to an arena than to a stadium.

However, where would a new arena leave the current one and Harborcenter? Would it be a demo/replacement of the current arena? If so, where does the team play in the meantime? If not, what do they do with the existing facility? I'm fascinated by this all.

All good questions that have crossed my mind as well.  They have the connecting Harbour Centre so it would make sense to build the new arena (if they go that route) in the place of the existing.  But how do the logistics work?  Where are they playing for those couple of years?  There has been some strong reviews from outsiders (combine, WJC etc.) that love the fact they have this practice facility connected to the arena.  I'm sure they wouldn't want to change that.

Well, Kim said that the stadium and the arena "can be connected."  Maybe they build the new stadium next to the KBC and the Sabres play all home games outside until the new arena is ready.  :w00t:

Brainstorming here:  If the new stadium has a dome, my idea isn't so outlandish.  They could play inside in the new stadium.  Leave the Ralph in place for Bills team practices, etc., until the Sabres can get into the new arena.

Well, Kim said that the stadium and the arena "can be connected."  Maybe they build the new stadium next to the KBC and the Sabres play all home games outside until the new arena is ready.  :w00t:

Brainstorming here:  If the new stadium has a dome, my idea isn't so outlandish.  They could play inside in the new stadium.  Leave the Ralph in place for Bills team practices, etc., until the Sabres can get into the new arena.

So you want to install millions of dollars in ice making equipment inside a stadium so a hockey team can play there for 1 maybe 2 seasons? 

The only way to do this is to build it where the HSBC commercial banking building is and take out part of that parking lot as well. Connecting the building over Washington street and orienting the new "plaza" part to face the waterfront and take advantage of the old plaza and parking deck. 

All you really need are some 2x6s, a tarp, a level, and a hose.

We all know that is doesn't stay below freezing in Buffalo all of October - April or potentially May. 

My idea is being taken far more seriously than intended.

The only way to do this is to build it where the HSBC commercial banking building is and take out part of that parking lot as well. Connecting the building over Washington street and orienting the new "plaza" part to face the waterfront and take advantage of the old plaza and parking deck. 

We all know that is doesn't stay below freezing in Buffalo all of October - April or potentially May. 

Please tell me you didn't take me seriously!

Building a new arena seems pretty GD wasteful to me.

I agree.  The arena is only 20 years old and is in a perfect location.  The football stadium is almost 45 years old and is in the middle of nowhere, with insufficient roads to handle the traffic in and out.  I know which one I'd prioritize.

Interesting tidbit, for sure. A pity there was no follow up. But that’s PSE for you.

//(Awaits reply about how Harrington would have got the answer.)//

It's funny. People have defended the ticket price increases over the years by saying if the Sabres don't raise prices, they'll lose revenue sharing. So I guess they're losing revenue sharing?

You can read a lot into what she said.  She specifically mentions Rochester as well.

Frankly, it would be my suspicion that PSE would look to build a sports complex that would replace the football stadium and two hockey rinks.  I would imagine that they might even find a way for some cost savings by combining some facilities.  It's a lot of money to maintain parking lots for football stadiums that get barely any use throughout the year.  

If they are truly thinking of anything, a combined facility might be in the realm of possibilities.  Moreover, it would be something unique that would stand out.  

The plans for anything would be finalized in the next year I would imagine with time to build it so both teams could potentially start their seasons in the new complexes at the same time.  

The question of course... how much will cost tax payers?

The United States, where we can't help homeless vets but we can use taxpayer money to build sports stadium. This is like the fall/decline of Rome.

We do try to help homeless vets, but it's not nearly enough. You make a good point.

A devil's advocate might say that one of the primary roles of government is to create the conditions for economic growth and prosperity, and a new stadium would fall under the heading of "infrastructure," like roads, sewer systems, high-speed internet and the like. How much the Sabres and Bills mean to the local economy is up for debate, of course.

The arena where i watch most of my hockey was built in 1938. Only minor works have been carried out on the building in that time. The place itself does have character and when full is probably one of the most intimidating atmospheres in the UK.

The United States, where we can't help homeless vets but we can use taxpayer money to build sports stadium. This is like the fall/decline of Rome.

Bread and circuses, the hallmarks of decrepit societies and their governments. The opioids of public policy. The “you shall do for us” government becoming the “we will provide to you” government. I digress.

I’m happy to debate public subsidies of arenas if it’s done honestly. I’d start with: There is an oligarchy that has something I want. It can only exist as an oligarchy. That’s its value. Crushing the oligarchy may feel good. Pyrrhic victories do, for a moment. Am I willing to spend money on the oligarchy’s terms for its product? Viewing the expenditure as an investment, or as a job creator, is a smokescreen. Envying and demonizing the oligarchist is a waste of time and emotional capital. Are The Bills worth $500 million to 1.1 million people? I’ve grudgingly supported previous public participation in stadiums. I’ve known the negotiation was not between equals. I’m aware a few benefit disproportionately. As a result, I’m Buffalo, and not Birmingham. Worth it?

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

We can spend 1 billion on putting in fiber optic internet or upgrading the water system in Buffalo, the internet could attract business. Or we can spend a billion on a pleasure palace for a team owned by a guy worth 4 billion.

The pleasure palace would be for us, not for him.  Not saying that there aren't better options for the $1B that we don't have, but stadiums are for fans, not owners, just like libraries* are for readers, not authors.

*yes I did.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.