The Athletic Buffalo

Brawndo

The Athletic Managing Editor James Mirtle confirmed this past weekend that the website will be expanding its coverage to having beat writer cover the Sabres next season. The Athletic proves alternative coverage on a National Level and a Local Level as well. They have hired many writers from National Outlets such as SI, ESPN and Fox Sports. In addition they have hired local writers usually from the area’s newspapers such as Arthur Staple and Mike Russo.

Mirtle also asked what writers fans would like to see covering the team for the site. The overwhelming favorite was Joe Yerdon who covers the Sabres for NHL.com. Other responses included John Vogl The Buffalo News, Matt Bove from Channel 7 and Bill Hoppe from the Olean Times Herald.

Given that there are rumblings The Buffalo News is in financial trouble and that Vogl has been on the Sabres Beat for awhile he appears to be the logical candidate to be hired.

Who would you like to see covering the Sabres?

It would be cool if they could bring someone in from the outside. Similar to Custance going to Detroit.

It would be cool. Someone like that could blow our minds. Shine a flashlight around. Tell us folks in The Village about how people elsewhere zoom around on chairs in the sky and watch their hockey teams get breakaways and score on them.

One funny thing about Yerdon (or maybe it's more something that's funny about Twitter to an Old like me): After I first started following him, I liked so many of his Tweets that the Twitter algorithm wound up populating my TL with other of his unrelated activity. And it always seemed to be him replying to a Tweet by some attractive young woman -- with whom he was presumably Twitter friends (and/or maybe IRL friends). Anyway -- it made an Old, like me, be like: "Joe. So thirsty."

The more I think about it, the more this is really just a reflection of the fact that I am an Old.

One funny thing about Yerdon (or maybe it's more something that's funny about Twitter to an Old like me): After I first started following him, I liked so many of his Tweets that the Twitter algorithm wound up populating my TL with other of his unrelated activity. And it always seemed to be him replying to a Tweet by some attractive young woman -- with whom he was presumably Twitter friends (and/or maybe IRL friends). Anyway -- it made an Old, like me, be like: "Joe. So thirsty."

The more I think about it, the more this is really just a reflection of the fact that I am an Old.

haha he talks to everyone, and most of those attractive young ladies are people he knows (I bet I even know the accounts you're referring to). I've never seen him be creepy, though- never got that vibe. 

But nah, he's good- he's got a good deal of empathy which I think helps make him a cut above a lot of the others. Less "follow a narrative and make it all fit" and more "well, here's an anomaly, what does that do to the bigger picture". 

Overall, I'm still not sure how I feel about the Athletic. I was hoping The Buffalo Star would do better. 

^

Yah - that makes total sense. The divide, I think, arises from the fact that my Twitter life is just about 100% anonymous and non-IRL. But for someone 10-15 years younger than me who's got his name and face attached to his account, I think that'd be a quite different experience.

I read his nhl.com content and follow him on Twitter -- he's the real deal.

I haven't read the Buffalo Star since like...December, unfortunately. I think if the Sabres had been worth reading about I'd visit more. They got my money either way, so I hope they keep going. 

Yeah, I actually looked the other day to see if they were still going. :(

They'd reached out to me for an Eichel portrait like how they used my Risto painting- I said I was going to do one anyway and would be happy to let them use it (we'd worked out a loose agreement the first time). Made it. Never heard from them to actually use it. Too bad. Some real talent on that team. 

Overall, I'm still not sure how I feel about the Athletic. I was hoping The Buffalo Star would do better. 

I was hoping for the same thing. I'm a bit disappointed in the Star, expected more content. It could be they didn't receive enough subscribers, so if the Athletic did decide to grab someone, it would probably be pretty easy 

John VoglVerified account @BuffNewsVogl
FollowingFollowing @BuffNewsVogl
More

After 16 seasons covering the Sabres, my last day at The News is May 31. As I've said often, I truly appreciate you reading and following along. It's been fun. I still have more stories coming, so don't go anywhere.

^

Ya, but he *is* leaving. Voluntarily.

Sorry about that. I had a computer issue and it took a moment to sort out. 

John VoglVerified account @BuffNewsVogl
FollowingFollowing @BuffNewsVogl
More

After 16 seasons covering the Sabres, my last day at The News is May 31. As I've said often, I truly appreciate you reading and following along. It's been fun. I still have more stories coming, so don't go anywhere.

Sorry about that. I had a computer issue and it took a moment to sort out. 

The last sentence sounds like he might be joining the Athletic.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.