Jump to content
LGR4GM

Reinhart, The Force Awakens

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think that’s pretty a normal response to a guy now meeting expectations.

He's been meeting my expectations for years. I would say last year was the only year I was a little disappointed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drunkard said:

O'Reilly made "I" statements like that all the time, whether he played well or not, and he was chastised for being a depressed whiny crybaby who had a dark cloud following him around like he was Charlie Brown from Peanuts. Maybe Reinhart thought following suit would put him on the next bus out of town.

Ya, ROR forgot the "we" that goes along with the "I" and that's a big part of why he had to go. I'm not really following St. Louis but I think first part of the year the unity there fell apart and Tarasenko seemed to be in a funk. Maybe it's ROR's team now or maybe he fits there better now but they haven't exactly soared to lofty heights as a result of that trade have they? ROR is all about ROR. Trade didn't anticipate the Berglund decision but who could predict that? Team still seems better without him and the attitude is definitely way way way better this year so it's addition by subtraction at least and who knows what the picks or the saved cap money will bring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jsb said:

I know he didn't score yesterday but I thought he might have been the best player on the ice. He was flying back on D and was playing a heavy game. I really like the way he has taken charge since he's had his own line. I just hope we haven't jinxed him with all this praise lately.

Well, he has stopped scoring.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Wednesday, February 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM, LGR4GM said:

I would happy if a player finally outperformed their contract and required a hefty raise. That's what we want to see. 

That would be a good thing.  But there is still a frustration in knowing a 6-8 year deal could've been worked out.  And, Eichel seems to have outperformed that ELC significantly. ;)

And, the memories of Golisano refusing to give pretty much anyone a multiyear deal coming out of the lockout seriously setting the stage for that '05-'06 team to blow up only 1 year later are still fresh (how much different would the summer of '06 played out had Briere & McKee gotten the 3 year deals they wanted in '05, & how much better would summer '07 been as well).  (Hodgson's deal doesn't resonate as much.  The earlier damage had already left a numbness.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can sign Sam this summer if we really believe in him. If he is really worth a long contract we get him for an additional 2 years now because of that bridge. The underlying numbers say Reinhart is worth a raise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@nfreeman refused to buy into Reinhart's 2nd half last year because the games didn't matter.

Has his play during 50 games that have mattered this year changed anything? Will another 30 of similar play make a difference?

What has to happen to make Sam worthy of a long-term investment? Sabrespace readers want to know.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We can sign Sam this summer if we really believe in him. If he is really worth a long contract we get him for an additional 2 years now because of that bridge. The underlying numbers say Reinhart is worth a raise.

That would be an interesting approach. What type of contract would you be willing to offer that would entice Reinhart to sign now, instead of putting another season on the table and having the negotiating leverage of arbitration 2020? If he put up a 2nd 60-70 point season, he'd be able to go to arbitration and ask for 7 million EASY. A couple years ago, you had 45-55 point guys settling pre-arbitration to 4-5 year deals in the 5.5 range... 

Zibanjed - 5 yrs / 5.3 per

Tatar - 4 yrs / 5.5 per

Palat - 5 yrs 5.3 per

These guys are getting in the 7% range.... factor that % on an 85 million cap and your talking 6 million per... factor in the difference between a 45-55 player and a 60-70 player.... and basically, yea the bridge contract was a colossal error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

@nfreeman refused to buy into Reinhart's 2nd half last year because the games didn't matter.

Has his play during 50 games that have mattered this year changed anything? Will another 30 of similar play make a difference?

What has to happen to make Sam worthy of a long-term investment. Sabrespace readers want to know.

That's looking for a reason to continue believing something....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is Sam’s role on this team long-term?

I look at our young core and see defined roles for certain guys long-term. Jack is the 1st line center, Jeff is the 1st line sniper.  Dahlin is the top puck mover and 1st PP qb. Risto is the physical presence and 2nd PP qb.  Casey is the 2nd line center and playmaker.  Thompson is a RW power forward who hopefully develops into a top 6 player.  Erod is the Swiss Army knife.  Pilut is the 2nd pairing puck mover.  McCabe is the steady linemate for Dahlin.  

But Sam?  Is he a playmaker or goal scorer?  I don’t see him on the 1st line long-term because we need a more physical presence with Jack and Jeff.  I also don’t really like him with Mitts as their skill set is similar.  Frankly we need someone who can consistently finish with Mitts like we got with Jeff for Jack.  So what is the highest and best use for Samson and is it on this team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is Sam’s role on this team long-term?

I look at our young core and see defined roles for certain guys long-term. Jack is the 1st line center, Jeff is the 1st line sniper.  Dahlin is the top puck mover and 1st PP qb. Risto is the physical presence and 2nd PP qb.  Casey is the 2nd line center and playmaker.  Thompson is a RW power forward who hopefully develops into a top 6 player.  Erod is the Swiss Army knife.  Pilut is the 2nd pairing puck mover.  McCabe is the steady linemate for Dahlin.  

But Sam?  Is he a playmaker or goal scorer?  I don’t see him on the 1st line long-term because we need a more physical presence with Jack and Jeff.  I also don’t really like him with Mitts as their skill set is similar.  Frankly we need someone who can consistently finish with Mitts like we got with Jeff for Jack.  So what is the highest and best use for Samson and is it on this team?

Why does Mitts need someone different? They play off eachother well. They both can create on their own. Reinhart is a little more disciplined defensively at this stage and is also able to dish to Mitts who has a decent shot. I think it is a good fit and the real need is that LW spot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is Sam’s role on this team long-term?

I look at our young core and see defined roles for certain guys long-term. Jack is the 1st line center, Jeff is the 1st line sniper.  Dahlin is the top puck mover and 1st PP qb. Risto is the physical presence and 2nd PP qb.  Casey is the 2nd line center and playmaker.  Thompson is a RW power forward who hopefully develops into a top 6 player.  Erod is the Swiss Army knife.  Pilut is the 2nd pairing puck mover.  McCabe is the steady linemate for Dahlin.  

But Sam?  Is he a playmaker or goal scorer?  I don’t see him on the 1st line long-term because we need a more physical presence with Jack and Jeff.  I also don’t really like him with Mitts as their skill set is similar.  Frankly we need someone who can consistently finish with Mitts like we got with Jeff for Jack.  So what is the highest and best use for Samson and is it on this team?

OK GA sabres fan, you are one of my favorite posters but  Sam is the least of our worries. He is playing well on the first line and the second line.  The problem with Sam is he will want big money soon.   Lets worry about how we are going to rid ourselves of the rest of the trash on the roster like Sobotka, Okposo, Scandella etc.  Also your profile picture is problematic as PH needs to go.  Perhaps a Thrashers logo would bring back some fond memories.  BTW I live in buckhead and am a huge BIG 10 fan but not IU.  Time to root for Michigan hoops and Northwestern football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, freester said:

OK GA sabres fan, you are one of my favorite posters but  Sam is the least of our worries. He is playing well on the first line and the second line.  The problem with Sam is he will want big money soon.   Lets worry about how we are going to rid ourselves of the rest of the trash on the roster like Sobotka, Okposo, Scandella etc.  Also your profile picture is problematic as PH needs to go.  Perhaps a Thrashers logo would bring back some fond memories.  BTW I live in buckhead and am a huge BIG 10 fan but not IU.  Time to root for Michigan hoops and Northwestern football.

I don't view Sam as a problem, I would just like to see a more defined role.  I agree that we don't have anywhere close to enough forward talent.  Mitts, Skinner, Jack and Sam are our only top 6 talent. The rest is just cannon fodder.  

The Defense is no different. Dahlin, Risto, Pilut and McCabe are pieces, but Scandella and Bogo ........

As to PH, until he gets something close to a full roster, I'm going to reserve judgement.  Having to play with a rookie like Mitts in a 2nd line capacity was starting the year with one hand tied behind his back.  

I'm an IU alum so no rooting for Big Blue or that other school.  I just wish IU would recruit someone who can frigin shoot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't view Sam as a problem, I would just like to see a more defined role.  I agree that we don't have anywhere close to enough forward talent.  Mitts, Skinner, Jack and Sam are our only top 6 talent. The rest is just cannon fodder.  

The Defense is no different. Dahlin, Risto, Pilut and McCabe are pieces, but Scandella and Bogo ........

As to PH, until he gets something close to a full roster, I'm going to reserve judgement.  Having to play with a rookie like Mitts in a 2nd line capacity was starting the year with one hand tied behind his back.  

I'm an IU alum so no rooting for Big Blue or that other school.  I just wish IU would recruit someone who can frigin shoot.

So despite being an IU alum you’ve adopted the bulldogs as your college football team. Well at least you’re not a complete masochist    It’s tough enough being a Buffalo sports fan you need at least one competitive team. I’m an NU alum and my daughter is at Michigan. 

I think Bogo is decent when healthy  and Dahlin has been great offensively but mediocre defensively but will be much improved next year. Scandella was another bad trade by JB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, freester said:

So despite being an IU alum you’ve adopted the bulldogs as your college football team. Well at least you’re not a complete masochist    It’s tough enough being a Buffalo sports fan you need at least one competitive team. I’m an NU alum and my daughter is at Michigan. 

I think Bogo is decent when healthy  and Dahlin has been great offensively but mediocre defensively but will be much improved next year. Scandella was another bad trade by JB. 

Both of my kids and my wife went to UGA.  I've now been going to games there for nearly 30 years.  Hard not to become a fan after all that time.  Go Dawgs!

I disagree on the Scandella trade.  He was very good for us last year and like in Minn, he has just been surpassed by other players.  Also Pommers has brought much needed professionalism and has contributed in spurts.  All we gave up were two players who weren't part of our future in Foligno and Ennis.  Ennis was bought out and Foligno is nothing but a physical overpaid 20 pt player.  We don't miss either, but got good contribution from the guys we acquired.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that Scandella was much better last year. I’m not sure what happened to him this year. We do miss a physical presence that Foligno and Kane provided. 

The Dawgs are my 3rd favorite team after NU and Michigan. Based on your family’s affiliation you are certainly not a bandwagon jumper. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×