Reinhart, The Force Awakens

LGR4GM

• 7 months later...

Stepping in to the den of Samson lovers.

Do  I tread lightly?

Nay.  The truth must be had.

So, last night was the first time since the 10 game streak that I noticed Samson standing in the front the enemy goalie on the PP rather than off to the side.  Did I not watch all of the games inbetween?

FWIW, I do like Sam.  I think when I see games like last night I wonder "where is this Samson all of the time?" and become sad for the team.

9 minutes ago, ... said:

Do  I tread lightly?

So, last night was the first time since the 10 game streak that I noticed Samson standing in the front the enemy goalie on the PP rather than off to the side.  Did I not watch all of the games inbetween?

FWIW, I do like Sam.  I think when I see games like last night I wonder "where is this Samson all of the time?" and become sad for the team.

Do you go to the games?  I'm not trying to poke holes in your analysis, rather I'd like to understand it. Maybe in person observation lends itself to another type of conclusion. 

Not frequently enough.  I was at the Chicago game last and I wasn't terribly impressed with Samson at that game.  A lot of my analysis is the eye-test vs. what is said about him.  I know his numbers look okay.  

It's odd.  I do like the person.  The player I like on certain nights.  My concern is that fans and the front office are hanging their hats on his presence when I don't think he rises to those expectations consistently enough.

Like I said in the GDT yesterday, if he played consistently like he did last night, I would love him like the rest.

1 hour ago, ... said:

I think they pretty much overhauled the PP (and about GD time!).  Eichel wasn't in his usual spot either.

It looked greatly improved IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ... said:

Do  I tread lightly?

Last night was the same Sam we've been seeing for the last ~90 games he's played. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think they pretty much overhauled the PP (and about GD time!).  Eichel wasn't in his usual spot either.

It looked greatly improved IMHO.

In what way?

Eichel was in his same halfwall spot he's always in. It was still a 1-3-1 set up. There was some better spacing, a little more movement... but certainly not an overhaul.

1 hour ago, jame said:

In what way?

Eichel was in his same halfwall spot he's always in. It was still a 1-3-1 set up. There was some better spacing, a little more movement... but certainly not an overhaul. 

I thought Eichel was not in the same half-wall spot -- I thought he spent the bulk of his PP time at the right point.  I also thought Reino was set up in front of the net, not behind it to the goalie's right.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I thought Eichel was not in the same half-wall spot -- I thought he spent the bulk of his PP time at the right point.  I also thought Reino was set up in front of the net, not behind it to the goalie's right.

My impression, too, although I watched the game.

24 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'll have to re-watch to see if what you are seeing is simply a symptom of entry/possession. There was nothing structural different about what they were setting up last night. The first PP Eichel was set up on the half wall. Reino has been playing net front this entire season. He cycles down below the goal line when the half wall has the puck, and to the net front when the puck works to the point.

Edited by jame

54 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

This is what I saw too. Other difference was Dahlin at the other point rather than Risto.

5 hours ago, ... said:

Do  I tread lightly?

1st game it wasn't Ristolainen nor Eichel throwing the shot from the point at the net on PP1.  IMHO That isn't merely correlation; that's causation.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

1st game it wasn't Ristolainen nor Eichel throwing the shot from the point at the net on PP1.  IMHO That isn't merely correlation; that's causation.

Are suggesting Samson is afraid of Risto's and Eichel's shot?  Or is it that Samson figures either will shoot wide and standing off to the side gives him a better chance at a tip-in? Other?

11 minutes ago, ... said:

Are suggesting Samson is afraid of Risto's and Eichel's shot?  Or is it that Samson figures either will shoot wide and standing off to the side gives him a better chance at a tip-in? Other?

Not saying he's afraid of standing in front of their shots, though he's smart enough that he should be. ;)  (Especially when Eichel is using the heavy lumber on the PP.  He goes from an 87 to IIRC a 102 on the PP.)

Would more expect that he believes he's got a better chance of reacting to their shots from the side than being directly in front AND that guys like Pilut & Dahlin that don't have as strong a shot need the better screen to score.

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Incorrect.

1st PP : you may be mistaking a left circle face off, in which Eichel takes the RW position and a puck rush later in the PP... but as soon as possession is established, it’s everyone in their normal spots (Eichel half wall, Reinhart net front). Take a look.

2nd PP: you are correct that Eichel is on the other side, but i think this is much more a symptom of the entry and puck retrieval than any intentional set up (the first PP supports this... although... one could argue that Housley saw something on the first PP and how they covered Erod on the goal and opted to put Eichel in that spot... but that’s giving Phil a lot of credit for an in game insight).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.