Why I Don't Want Any of the Remaining Teams to Win.

Eleven

There are five teams left.  I can't bear the thought of any of them winning.  Here are my reasons for each team.  Also, with the exception of Tampa, consider the "I don't want another team winning their first before the Sabres do" thing in play for all of them.

Washington:  No, their fans have NOT earned it.  They might have had fans when they were in Landover, and they might have fans now, but I had 30 tickets to a first-round game in 1998 and couldn't give them away.  It wasn't until the finals that anyone in the city even noticed that team was in the playoffs.  I lived there--I even owned a home there--and I know first-hand that there were no hockey fans anywhere when I lived there.  Also, Bondra.

Nashville:  Same.  No one can identify five people who were fans before last season.

Winnipeg:  Smug .  No way.  Hell, move 'em again just to teach the Winnipeggers some humility.

Vegas:  First of all, I hate the name.  The city is "Las Vegas," not "Vegas."  It's not the "Frisco 49ers" or the "Big Apple Yankees."  So I don't like the name.  Second, the expansion draft was WAY skewed in "Vegas's" favor.  Too much.  Expansion teams shouldn't be winning Stanley Cups, and their new fans haven't suffered enough yet.

Tampa Bay:  Another team where fans seem to surface only when they're winning.  (That goes for all three of the sports in the Bay Area, actually.)

So 'em all.

I guess I don't get into the politics of the fan bases as much as you do.  I'd like to see WPG in the finals because no expansion team should get there.  I'd like to see Ovechkin graduate from the group of "best players to never win the Cup." 

Vegas First of all, I hate the name.  The city is "Las Vegas," not "Vegas."  It's not the "Frisco 49ers" or the "Big Apple Yankees."  So I don't like the name.  Second, the expansion draft was WAY skewed in "Vegas's" favor.  Too much.  Expansion teams shouldn't be winning Stanley Cups, and their new fans haven't suffered enough yet.

So ###### 'em all.

Wow.  Had to double check that it wasn't Thursday.

Anyways the bold we can agree on.  Hate it.  

At this point I'm just happy that Boston, Toronto, and Pittsburgh lost, especially Boston. Initially I was rooting for the Sharks so the Sabres would get their 1st round pick, but that's no longer possible.

Although I picked Tampa to win it all in that bracket challenge I'm rooting for the Capitals because I like Ovechkin. In the west I'm rooting for Nashville because I have a buddy who roots for them. I'm not really emotionally invested whatsoever though. Now that the teams that I hate have been eliminated I won't be irritated by any outcome but I'd like to see Washington and Nashville meet in the finals with Ovechkin lifting the cup.

I would be OK with any of the teams winning, I have teams I hate, and they are eliminated, I grew up loving hockey, I used to love the sharks as my backup team, back when jerseys (sweaters) were made much much differently. Collecting O-pee-chee cards and etc.

But as an adult (sorta) I'm cool with all of them, and gun to my head, I wanna see Vegas win it all, mostly because they play fast, fun hockey, and I think it was masterful the way they assembled their team

At this point, I'm too busy to make playoff art (or even watch) like I normally would, but uh, go team with most interesting looking people on it in case I find an hour

I admit I'm really conflicted on the Vegas thing. Sure they earned it-they play good, hard hockey. But man, something's wrong with a first year team dominating like this. Stacked somehow. But they're having fun and spreading the love of hockey so... eh I dunno. I'm a crotchety old b!tch these days. 

Ill cheer you up Eleven:

At least it won't be Toronto or the Ruins.

The post was great though, especially the Vegas rant. And agree, Winnipeg fans are so smug and cocky on twitter, hard to root for them.

Edited by (E5)

At this point, I'm too busy to make playoff art (or even watch) like I normally would, but uh, go team with most interesting looking people on it in case I find an hour

I admit I'm really conflicted on the Vegas thing. Sure they earned it-they play good, hard hockey. But man, something's wrong with a first year team dominating like this. Stacked somehow. But they're having fun and spreading the love of hockey so... eh I dunno. I'm a crotchety old b!tch these days. 

I feel the same way about Vegas. I can't hate them, but the whole thing feels off.

There are five teams left.  I can't bear the thought of any of them winning.  Here are my reasons for each team.  Also, with the exception of Tampa, consider the "I don't want another team winning their first before the Sabres do" thing in play for all of them.

Washington:  No, their fans have NOT earned it.  They might have had fans when they were in Landover, and they might have fans now, but I had 30 tickets to a first-round game in 1998 and couldn't give them away.  It wasn't until the finals that anyone in the city even noticed that team was in the playoffs.  I lived there--I even owned a home there--and I know first-hand that there were no hockey fans anywhere when I lived there.  Also, ###### Bondra.

Nashville:  Same.  No one can identify five people who were fans before last season.

Winnipeg:  Smug ######.  No way.  Hell, move 'em again just to teach the Winnipeggers some humility.

Vegas:  First of all, I hate the name.  The city is "Las Vegas," not "Vegas."  It's not the "Frisco 49ers" or the "Big Apple Yankees."  So I don't like the name.  Second, the expansion draft was WAY skewed in "Vegas's" favor.  Too much.  Expansion teams shouldn't be winning Stanley Cups, and their new fans haven't suffered enough yet.

Tampa Bay:  Another team where fans seem to surface only when they're winning.  (That goes for all three of the sports in the Bay Area, actually.)

So ###### 'em all.

Every team and fans response to you.

946d9d1f056669f50478da3e389ace61--james-

Washington:  No, their fans have NOT earned it.  They might have had fans when they were in Landover, and they might have fans now, but I had 30 tickets to a first-round game in 1998 and couldn't give them away.  It wasn't until the finals that anyone in the city even noticed that team was in the playoffs.  I lived there--I even owned a home there--and I know first-hand that there were no hockey fans anywhere when I lived there.  Also, ###### Bondra.

Winnipeg:  Smug ######.  No way.  Hell, move 'em again just to teach the Winnipeggers some humility.

So ###### 'em all.

HATER!!! Just Kidding.

So ###### 'em all.

Agree on the Rays and Bucs but not on the Lightning. Considering the Bay Area is full of transplants, the Lightning actually have a pretty rabid fan base. 

And the Rays would do a lot better if they built a stadium closer to downtown Tampa or out by I-75 to get the Orlando fans.

Edited by Gramps

So ###### 'em all.

Aggree on DC. Remember them piping in crowd noise by putting in micro phones over the one lower bowl section with cap fans to drown out the majority of Sabre fans. Its a joke there and most dont even understand the game. Plus, no way I want a Putin stooge winning it all.

The Lightning have developed quite a legitimate fan base. For 21 years I’ve watched it grow in terms of hockey sophistication. Because of the transplants, there are many nights that feel like a Sabres v Leafs game in Buffalo. I’d not call them bandwagon fans who show up during good times. The ownership group and the hockey organization are top notch. The in arena experience is a whole level above that in Buffalo. I can remember the many “who, what” questions when billboards reading “Got Stamkos?” sprang up prior to the 2008 entry draft. There’d be no “who, what” to “Got Eichel?” in Buffalo prior to the 2015 draft. There is a difference. Tampa hockey is ... fun. Go Bolts!

Edited by Neo

The Lightning have developed quite a legitimate fan base. For 21 years I’ve watched it grow in terms of hockey sophistication. Because of the transplants, there are many nights that feel like a Sabres v Leafs game in Buffalo. I’d not call them bandwagon fans who show up during good times. The ownership group and the hockey organization are top notch. The in arena experience is a whole level above that in Buffalo. I can remember the many “who, what” questions when billboards reading “Got Stamkos?” sprang up prior to the 2008 entry draft. There’d be no “who, what” to “Got Eichel?” in Buffalo prior to the 2015 draft. There is a difference. Tampa hockey is ... fun. Go Bolts!

Howdy, Neo!  Long time.  

I'm totally with you on the Bolts!  I'd love to see them in the Finals again.

Out west it's pretty much all good for me, but I spent parts of my youth in Winnipeg, so go Jets!

BTW, if the Preds win, Washington DC will be the northernmost city in the semifinals.  Would they be the southernmost northernmost team ever in the semifinals?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.