pick for Karlsson

brador

Would it make sense to trade the first pick for a known superstar (Karlsson)? The guy likely still has 5-6 more great years ahead of him. Even though Dahlin looks like a lock to become a foundational player, there's been others with that reputation who didn't pan out. With Karlsson, you know what you're getting. I'm thinking Ottawa would need to pick up some of his salary in order for Buffalo to be able to fit in under the cap.

I wouldn't trade the pick for a young Karlsson, but I would do it in a heartbeat for a young Doughty.

My world’s a bit off its axis since True face washed the Hockey Gods and we still we won the lottery. Accordingly, I’m not sure I have anything cautionary to write after seeing “Bobby Orr” in a paragraph about Dahlin.

Robert Gordon Orr, from Parry Sound, Ontario. I think I’m feeling the vapours.

Corrected its Parry Sound. PS there is great Hockey Hall of fame on the Harbor there that if you get up to that part of Canada it should be visited. Also take the 30,000 Island cruise. My folks owned property up there and I spent many a summer up there fishing and camping on them.

Corrected its Parry Sound. PS there is great Hockey Hall of fame on the Harbor there that if you get up to that part of Canada it should be visited. Also take the 30,000 Island cruise. My folks owned property up there and I spent many a summer up there fishing and camping on them.

PARRY! I’m mortified! Curses, North Buffalo ... I’ve admired your work.

I feel like a schoolgirl gushing over “Robby Sherman” and the “Pheasant Family”.

I have visited. It was a pilgrimage. Yikes, I hope I went to the right place!

The horror ... the horror ...

Edited by Neo

Listening to wgr on the way in interviewing the director of European scouting. Paraphrasing....he doesn't like doing player comparisons but they have not been this excited about a prospect coming out since Alex ovechkin.

If your point is you would trade the pick for an elite, 24 year old that is already provenance then I probably agree with you. Just don't want casual observers thinking this is a Grigorenko type prospect Sabres fans are trying to pump the tires for.

Listening to wgr on the way in interviewing the director of European scouting. Paraphrasing....he doesn't like doing player comparisons but they have not been this excited about a prospect coming out since Alex ovechkin.

If your point is you would trade the pick for an elite, 24 year old that is already provenance then I probably agree with you. Just don't want casual observers thinking this is a Grigorenko type prospect Sabres fans are trying to pump the tires for.

Any attempt to try this pick should lead to Jbot’s immediate dismissal.

Look any team that adds Karlsson gets better immediately. If our team was close to contention I might think about for other assets. That said, with puck movers Ristolainen and Dahlin here, we really need another Scandella to partner up with Dahlin to form two excellent pairings. McCabe and Guhle can man the 3rd pairing.

Would it make sense to trade the first pick for a known superstar (Karlsson)? The guy likely still has 5-6 more great years ahead of him. Even though Dahlin looks like a lock to become a foundational player, there's been others with that reputation who didn't pan out. With Karlsson, you know what you're getting. I'm thinking Ottawa would need to pick up some of his salary in order for Buffalo to be able to fit in under the cap.

you just lost your posting privileged.

HELL NO

"Fun brand of hockey." How long before that gets coached out of him in blue-collar, try to win 2-1 Buffalo? I know that's not Phil's MO, but we sure didn't see Housley Hockey in year one. (Insert comment on how Phil didn't have anyone to coach, but Botterill will find him the right guys this time.)

Edited by PASabreFan

"Fun brand of hockey." How long before that gets coached out of him in blue-collar, try to win 2-1 Buffalo? I know that's no Phil's MO, but we sure didn't sure Housley Hockey in year one. (Insert comment on how Phil didn't have anyone to coach, but Botterill will find him the right guys this time.)

I forget which game it was but it was near the end of the season and we saw Housley Hockey. It was beautiful and the Sabres played some of the most amazing and entertaining hockey I have watched in years. 

Any attempt to try this pick should lead to Jbot’s immediate dismissal.

Look any team that adds Karlsson gets better immediately. If our team was close to contention I might think about for other assets. That said, with puck movers Ristolainen and Dahlin here, we really need another Scandella to partner up with Dahlin to form two excellent pairings. McCabe and Guhle can man the 3rd pairing.

I'd do a Lindros deal if there weren't a salary cap (like when the Lindros deal happened), but that's about it.

"Fun brand of hockey." How long before that gets coached out of him in blue-collar, try to win 2-1 Buffalo? I know that's not Phil's MO, but we sure didn't see Housley Hockey in year one. (Insert comment on how Phil didn't have anyone to coach, but Botterill will find him the right guys this time.)

It's a beautiful day.  Take a walk and get some sunshine and fresh air.

Since no one else really did and I am the official Sabrespace welcome team ... Welcome to the board.  Nice first post.  And, no.  Mostly because Erik is at that age where injuries have started to creep in.

giphy.gif

I like Karlsson, but no way.

Awesome parade Randy.

Ya that's the stuff I've been reading. Nick Lindstrom commented how Dahlin is better than he was at that same age.

Several Swedish scouts quoted as saying he could be the best Swedish defensive prospect ever.

I'm sure some is just hyperbole. But these arnt Sabrespace posters or even Kris Baker saying these things.

Ofcourse he's a prospect and anything can happen. But the hype of Dahlin being better than Karlson eventually is definitely out there and not just from message board posters.

I was living in Detroit when Lidstrom came on the scene.  For some time now I've imagined that Dahlin will be the next Lidstrom.  If he achieves that level of play, for as long as Lidstrom did (he was still in game shape when he retired after 21 years), I'll be thrilled.  You don't throw Lidstrom away for Karlsson.  You just don't.

If Ottawa is looking to blow up their roster: Mike Hoffman is a player I wouldn't mind seeing Buffalo go after instead and would cost considerably less then Karlsson.

I'll allow it.

Let me ask a similar question: "Who WOULD YOU trade the 1st overall pick in this year's draft for ?"

1. McDavid

2. Matthews ?

1 for 1, value-wise? McD, Matthews, Hedman, MacKinnon.

There are loads of 2 player packages I would put together too. 

But considering our weakness on the back end, I would probably only do 1 for 1 with McDavid and maybe Hedman. 

Dahlin's value is not top three in the league though, if you were to poll GMs, I'd bet a ton of money on that

1 for 1, value-wise? McD, Matthews, Hedman, MacKinnon.

There are loads of 2 player packages I would put together too.

But considering our weakness on the back end, I would probably only do 1 for 1 with McDavid and maybe Hedman.

Dahlin's value is not top three in the league though, if you were to poll GMs, I'd bet a ton of money on that

Most GMs in the league aren't in our position though

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.