Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Ok are you signing Tavares and then trading ROR?  If so I guess I could live with that.  I thought Tavares had another year left on his deal. 

Yeah, thats what I'm picturing. Honestly the only way I would trade ROR is if we signed the Tavares, and the only way I'd sign Tavares is if we traded ROR. They only make sense together to me. Sign JT, sell ROR for either a top-end D-man or a scoring winger and some pieces. I don't see it happening, but that would be the ideal situation for me.

JT is on the last year of his deal right now; he's a free agent on July 1.

Toronto needs to sign 8 players for next season. They only have 15 under contract. They have approximately 25million to sign those players. If they took Tavares at say 10mil a year, that leaves them with 7 players to fill out their roster and only 15mil or 2.14mil per player. So in essence they would technically have the cap space to sign John Tavares.

Of course they also have to sign Nylander this year, so, say six players at $1.5ish, but still doable.

But once that happens, the real problem is saving space for next summer when Matthews and Marner are RFAs, Gardiner is a UFA and your defence is Reilly Zaitsev and four kids or scrap heap veterans making $1.5 million or less.

I am confused. Did people not read the entire post I wrote? 

I may be slightly off on the 25mil. Number taken from Capfriendly and idk if they included the salary cap raise. 

They do use the 75mil cap for next years projections. The cap is projected to rise to between 78 and 80mil. That means the Leafs could have up to 30mil in cap space barring any penalties. 

Also also! William Nylander and Connor Carrick need new contracts this summer (They easily eats up that extra 5mil I just found if not more). They can also sign Matthews (1yr left) Marner (1yr left) and Kapanen (1yr left) this summer. 

Name one NHL superstar in his situation to leave

With the way that team has been bouncing back and forth across the island in recent years, I can't come up with anyone who was in his situation.  Mix in the stable state of bumbling management and it is incredibly unique.

Getting Tavares and trading O'Reilly makes total sense and I don't think it is crazy to think about one bit.

It is 100% nuts and never going to happen. Good luck paying 3 players $30M of cap space, or over 1/3 of it total in other words

With the way that team has been bouncing back and forth across the island in recent years, I can't come up with anyone who was in his situation.  Mix in the stable state of bumbling management and it is incredibly unique.

OEL did the same thing. The only one I remember actually leaving was Kovalchuk and Nash, and even then they were traded

Garth Snow. The wild card who is dumb enough to screw up signing Tavares. 

He's gonna get fired. Or he should have been already. I'm assuming the reason he wasn't is to do so shows Tavares the team is in flux/turmoil 

Edited by WildCard

He's gonna get fired. Or he should have been already. I'm assuming the reason he wasn't is to do so shows Tavares the team is in flux/turmoil 

There's the rumored ten year extension he received prior to Wang selling the team. 

https://eyesonisles.com/2018/03/22/new-york-islanders-garth-snow-rumored-contract-all-but-confirmed/

Edited by Lanny

I have no idea if they make a play for JT but don’t discount the influence his uncle could have on the situation.

Does he have a banner hanging in the arena?  It would be kind of interesting to see a guy skating with his own name already up there (yeah, different person and different colors, but whatever).

Chara and Hossa were FAs.

And plenty of major stars have forced trades.

Chara and Hossa are not Tavares, and neither is Brad Richards. Those guys were not #1 picks with a franchise to carry and a captaincy to wear, not even close.

I have no idea if they make a play for JT but don’t discount the influence his uncle could have on the situation.

How?

Chara and Hossa are not Tavares, and neither is Brad Richards. Those guys were not #1 picks with a franchise to carry and a captaincy to wear, not even close.

How?

Hossa had scored 100 points before Free Agency. Johnny T is more likely to be in the 60s than the 80s. 

Chara was voted the 2nd and 4th best defenseman in the league the two seasons before he hit free agency

Edited by Randall Flagg

Hossa had scored 100 points before Free Agency. Johnny T is more likely to be in the 60s than the 80s. 

Chara was voted the 2nd and 4th best defenseman in the league the two seasons before he hit free agency

Hossa was not a free agent when he went to the Thrashers or the Penguins. He was only a free agent at 31 years old, when he came off a 71pt season with Detroit and signed a 12 year deal with the Blackhawks.

That was not the same NHL either; Hossa has only ever once hit 100pts, none of his other 20 seasons have been better than Tavares' top 2

Neither of those guys were the faces of those franchises. 

Edited by WildCard

That has been my biggest reason for believing there is a legit possibility that the younger "Johnny T" could be wearing B& G this Fall. His uncle is a legend in Buffalo & stayed with the Bandits for ~2 decades. You don't stay in one place that long w/out having fond memories & great stories about how appreciated you were.

Plus, the team has done as right as they reasonably could for his friend Moulson & has done right by Okposo as well.

Assming no trades, the Sabres could roll out 2 top lines of Mittelstadt - Tavares - Okposo & O'Reilly - Eichel - Reinhart when playing against teams that aren't deep. And could roll out a top 3 C spine of Tavares, Eichel, & O'Reilly against ones that are.

Bring in a legit goalie & DeHaan & watch the waiting list come back. ;)

Hossa was not a free agent when he went to the Thrashers or the Penguins. He was only a free agent at 31 years old, when he came off a 71pt season with Detroit and signed a 12 year deal with the Blackhawks

Neither of those guys were the faces of those franchises. 

Just caught the edit. He was a UFA twice. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.