Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

I am firmly in the trying to make the playoffs camp, but I don’t see a series win happening and I do see a lot of replaceable players on this roster.

Are the deadline returns on these players - Scandella, Beaulieu, Sobotka, Elie, Wilson, Tennyson, Pominville, Okposo and even Rodrigues, Larsson and Girgensons - worth more than keeping them around?

With guys like Olofsson, Smith, Nylander, Guhle Pilut pushing for time, can the Sabres be sellers at the deadline and still make a run?

Edited by dudacek

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am firmly in the trying to make the playoffs camp, but I don’t see a series win happening and I do see a lot of replaceable players on this roster.

Are the deadline returns on these players - Scandella, Beaulieu, Sobotka, Elie, Wilson, Tennyson, Pominville, Okposo and even Rodrigues, Larsson and Girgensons - worth more than keeping them around?

With guys like Olofsson, Smith, Nylander, Guhle Pilut pushing for time, can the Sabres be sellers at the deadline and still make a run?

I do not belive a wholesale insertion of kids is going to have a positive impact on a playoff run.

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

I do not belive a wholesale insertion of kids is going to have a positive impact on a playoff run.

I’d tend to agree.

Question might be better phrased as “if someone offers, say, a 4th for Sobotka or 2nd for Scandella, do you take it?

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d tend to agree.

Question might be better phrased as “if someone offers, say, a 4th for Sobotka or 2nd for Scandella, do you take it?

Depends on the standings and the trend of the team I guess.  I honestly believe that a playoff series is more valuable right now than small odds for an NHL player in 3+ seasons.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

"Scouts are scouting" has to be my least favorite nonsense about approaching the trade deadline. I think I'd rather read Eklund. 

I mean if a team has five scouts at a game it's notable. Usually. In this case it's likely just a group of scouts taking a seat where they can because they're in town anyways.

Unless the Sabres scheduled their scouting meetings months ago as an intricate cover up of trade talk they're having with one of these teams. HMMMM!!!

Minnesota is, once again, ripe for the picking, though. I have interest in Coyle or Granlund if either are available at all. Maybe Brodin or Spurgeon, again, if they're available. I'd give a very good amount for Granlund who was once the number one prospect while Cody Hodgson was number two. What a time.

Give me Grandlund and Spurgeon for Risto, Girgensons and the SJ first (conditional on us making the playoff, if not it becomes out 2020 second).

Edited by Hoss

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

I mean if a team has five scouts at a game it's notable. Usually. In this case it's likely just a group of scouts taking a seat where they can because they're in town anyways.

Unless the Sabres scheduled their scouting meetings months ago as an intricate cover up of trade talk they're having with one of these teams. HMMMM!!!

Minnesota is, once again, ripe for the picking, though. I have interest in Coyle or Granlund if either are available at all. Maybe Brodin or Spurgeon, again, if they're available. I'd give a very good amount for Granlund who was once the number one prospect while Cody Hodgson was number two. What a time.

Give me Grandlund and Spurgeon for Risto, Girgensons and the SJ first (conditional on us making the playoff, if not it becomes out 2020 second).

Granlund is a nice player, but, he's primarily a playmaker. Without snipers/finishers, I fear he'll just be spinning his wheels here.

3 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Granlund is a nice player, but, he's primarily a playmaker. Without snipers/finishers, I fear he'll just be spinning his wheels here.

What snipers is he playing with in Minnesota? He’s making players around him better. That’s the kind of player we need.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really do not want the Sabres to be sellers regardless of the standings.

Keep fighting to the bitter end for once in 7, or 8, years.

Or until someone loses their love of the game. Seriously though I get excited the closer we get to the deadline. Sam for a real 2C as I said somewhere else.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Or until someone loses their love of the game. Seriously though I get excited the closer we get to the deadline. Sam for a real 2C as I said somewhere else.

Your proposal is what everyone would call a 'hockey trade', which I think all would welcome.  I am not suggesting we trade Samson, but if he is part of a package to bring in a 2C then maybe.  Although that would be trading one of our few good wingers, which would leave the Sabres with that problem compounded.

If the powers that be still believe Mitts will develop into a 2C then JBOT will not be trading for one.  I actually will be very surprised if he does.  To me bringing in a 2C now smells of desperation and deviates from the plan.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)
not enough letters ...

5 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Your proposal is what everyone would call a 'hockey trade', which I think all would welcome.  I am not suggesting we trade Samson, but if he is part of a package to bring in a 2C then maybe.  Although that would be trading one of our few good wingers, which would leave the Sabres with that problem compounded.

If the powers that be still believe Mitts will develop into a 2C then JBOT will not be trading for one.  I actually will be very surprised if he does.  To me bringing in a 2C now smells of desperation and deviates from the plan.

Why? What has Mittelstadt done to make you think he will be less than that or has stopped developing? Or are you surprised if Jbott trades for one?

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? What has Mittelstadt done to make you think he will be less than that or has stopped developing? 

Sorry ... to be clear I think Mitts will be a very good 2C for the Sabres.

My second point in that sentence was about JBOT not trading for a 2C, which is what I would be surprised at ... if he does trade for a 2C.

39 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? What has Mittelstadt done to make you think he will be less than that or has stopped developing? Or are you surprised if Jbott trades for one?

The subject of the first sentence winds up being JBot, therefore the question refers to JBot and not Mitts.  

I think NS is on the money with his thinking.  If we go for a 2C, then that means the plan has been blown up and we're in for continued suffering.

Edited by ...
If I had a hammer.
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Some good points here.  However, part of me thinks that JBOT's plan included a productive Berglund in the mix.  Bringing in a 2C would not necessarily be a vote against Mittelstadt, but rather to replace another asset he thought would be in the lineup this year. 

That being said, I truly want Mittelstadt to be successful, but fear he may end up being another Grigorenko in the Sabres' long history of so-so 1st rounders.

Edited by Carmel Corn

3 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Some good points here.  However, part of me thinks that JBOT's plan included a productive Berglund in the mix.  Bringing in a 2C would not necessarily be a vote against Mittelstadt, but rather to replace another asset he thought would be in the lineup this year. 

That being said, I truly want Mittelstadt to be successful, but fear he may end up being another Grigorenko in the Sabres' long history of so-so 1st rounders.

The bolded sounds right, but means that they would have intended on NOT using a pick to acquire a player at the deadline.  Mitts' development aside, if they use a pick at the deadline and not at the draft then they likely have deviated from the plan.

5 minutes ago, ... said:

The bolded sounds right, but means that they would have intended on NOT using a pick to acquire a player at the deadline.  Mitts' development aside, if they use a pick at the deadline and not at the draft then they likely have deviated from the plan.

I'd love to see a plan that actually works with zero deviations. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't think it's about zero deviation. I'M also not convinced that JBot's plan necessarily included a "productive" Berglund (useful body filler in the line-up might be more appropriate). He was more a salary dump on us for the $7M owed to ROR.

If Berglund were still in the line-up and we are in the same place we are now, nothing would be different except that we'd have a guy with a bad contract we'd be hoping to get rid of but likely can't.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

Apparently, this cannot be stated often enough.  Plans change as the environment they are conceived in changes.  We already know that 2C has not played out as expected and we have a hole where Berglund used to be.  The plan should already have modifications made to it.

2 hours ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I don't think it's about zero deviation. I'M also not convinced that JBot's plan necessarily included a "productive" Berglund (useful body filler in the line-up might be more appropriate). He was more a salary dump on us for the $7M owed to ROR.

If Berglund were still in the line-up and we are in the same place we are now, nothing would be different except that we'd have a guy with a bad contract we'd be hoping to get rid of but likely can't.

You don't take on a guy with 3-4 years left on a contract (I forget the exact number) if you aren't planning on him being around for more than two months.  They full expected him to be a part of this team for multiple seasons.  Getting out from his deal was obviously not a part of any plan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.