Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

How about Okposo, Bailey and CJ Smith to Minnesota for Niederreiter and Coyle?

As cool as that might be, we'd be effectively giving them two AHLers and a near-cap dump for a sought after Middle-6 center and an ok winger. If you were lucky that might get you Nino alone but I can't imagine them trading you both for that.

7 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's also worth noting that if you're willing to trade Guhle and a 1st, there's likely a better trade out there than Carter. And I realize getting rid of Okposo has significant value, but I think the sweeteners have to be a lot better than your proposal to get LA to bite. 

I don't really disagree with any of this, but I also think no one is going to give the Sabres a real #2 center for Guhle and a low 2020 first-rounder.

I am generally just looking at the concept of trading for an older guy like Carter (or Patrick Kane for that matter) as an opportunity to dump KO, whom I increasingly think is done like dinner, and then the question is how much would I pay to upgrade from KO to Carter/Kane/other old expensive guy.  And while I agree that it's unlikely that anyone will take him, I think it might be feasible as part of a package with sweeteners -- one of which is the opportunity for the other team to dump its older expensive guy.

I agree that it's pretty unlikely in any case.

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I don't really disagree with any of this, but I also think no one is going to give the Sabres a real #2 center for Guhle and a low 2020 first-rounder.

I am generally just looking at the concept of trading for an older guy like Carter (or Patrick Kane for that matter) as an opportunity to dump KO, whom I increasingly think is done like dinner, and then the question is how much would I pay to upgrade from KO to Carter/Kane/other old expensive guy.  And while I agree that it's unlikely that anyone will take him, I think it might be feasible as part of a package with sweeteners -- one of which is the opportunity for the other team to dump its older expensive guy.

I agree that it's pretty unlikely in any case.

I think that's certainly fair when considering a long term #2. But I think we can probably upgrade our current #2 for that price and shift them to #3 within a year or two when Mitts is more ready. Whether the price is worth it to do so is another conversation entirely, of course.

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Any interest in Spezza as a stop gap for a year? I doubt he'd cost much and would certainly give us an experienced center akin to Carter just without the awful contract.

None for me.   Production has fallen fast the last three years.  Plus he will be 36 in June.   For me it’s Staal (33) or Kevin Hayes as 2019 UFA centers.   I’m also not in favor of trading any of the first-round picks to dump salary or trade for a second line center.   Look at the Ryan Kessler trade for the Anaheim ducks.   They basically gave up Two first round draft picks and a prospect in Bonino for two years of Term on a cap friendly 5mill/year deal.  Thank you no.   I think Staal  can be had for five or less on a short term deal with no risk and no loss of draft selections.

Edited by Broken Ankles

40 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What’s the cost though? 

St. Louis would probably ask for a 1st Rounder back. Is he worth it? 

Hard to say.  He is 27.  Can score and definitely has some grit to his game. 

Like Skinner, he seems like a guy that can thrive in the right environment. 

Good size, not sure about speed to play Phil’s game  ? 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=106939

So trying a different approach to get some depth scoring. 

Three way trade including Minnesota and Chicago.

Buffalo sends Minnesota Okposo and Scandella.

Buffalo sends Chicago Reinhart, Guhle, CJ Smith, and 1st rd pick.

Chicago sends Buffalo Patrick Kane.

Chicago sends Minnesota Kahun.

Minnesota sends Chicago Niederreiter.

Minnesota sends Buffalo Coyle.

Breakdown for Each team:

Chicago trades Kane and Kahun for Reinhart, Niederreiter, Guhle, CJ Smith, and 1st rd pick.   (Salary out- $11.5M, Salary in- $10.5M)

Minnesota trades Niederreiter and Coyle for Okposo, Scandella, and Kahun.   (Salary out- $8.5M,  Salary in- $11.0M)

Buffalo trades Reinhart, Okposo, Scandella, Guhle, CJ Smith,  and 1st rd pick for Kane and Coyle.   (Salary out- $15M   Salary in- $13.7M)

Sabres lines-

Skinner, Eichel, Sheary

Nylander, Coyle, Kane

Sobotka, Mitts, Thompson

Girgensons, Larsson, ERod

Dahlin, Bogo

McCabe, Risto

Pilut, Beaulieu

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

So trying a different approach to get some depth scoring. 

Three way trade including Minnesota and Chicago.

Buffalo sends Minnesota Okposo and Scandella.

Buffalo sends Chicago Reinhart, Guhle, CJ Smith, and 1st rd pick.

Chicago sends Buffalo Patrick Kane.

Chicago sends Minnesota Kahun.

Minnesota sends Chicago Niederreiter.

Minnesota sends Buffalo Coyle.

Breakdown for Each team:

Chicago trades Kane and Kahun for Reinhart, Niederreiter, Guhle, CJ Smith, and 1st rd pick.   (Salary out- $11.5M, Salary in- $10.5M)

Minnesota trades Niederreiter and Coyle for Okposo, Scandella, and Kahun.   (Salary out- $8.5M,  Salary in- $11.0M)

Buffalo trades Reinhart, Okposo, Scandella, Guhle, CJ Smith,  and 1st rd pick for Kane and Coyle.   (Salary out- $15M   Salary in- $13.7M)

Sabres lines-

Skinner, Eichel, Sheary

Nylander, Coyle, Kane

Sobotka, Mitts, Thompson

Girgensons, Larsson, ERod

Dahlin, Bogo

McCabe, Risto

Pilut, Beaulieu

Too many things going on here that I don't like. Like Brawndo said, I don't think the others will go for it either.

The name Kane associated with Buffalo gives me heartburn in the least. Good hockey players but...

Moving Sheary over to the RW with Eichel? He didn't do enough on the LW with Eichel.

Nylander hasn't shown he belongs here yet and you're forcing another rookie into the line-up in the top 6.

Sure, we've created some depth in the organization, but I don't think we're where we need to be or where some people think we are. We basically have 2 rookies and a guy who has a history of injuries in our top 6 D. Your trade deal has us giving away 2 Dmen  and getting none back. Also, that 1st rd pick could be used to get a D but then we have to wait for him to develop. You are depleting our depth and another trade would likely have to be done.

We still have Sobotka/ Mitts/ TT...pretty useless line I think.

I would rather trade for a Schenn, Burakovsky, Anisimov, etc.

Simpler deal that doesn't create as many problems as it does answers.

36 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

Too many things going on here that I don't like. Like Brawndo said, I don't think the others will go for it either.

The name Kane associated with Buffalo gives me heartburn in the least. Good hockey players but...

Moving Sheary over to the RW with Eichel? He didn't do enough on the LW with Eichel.

Nylander hasn't shown he belongs here yet and you're forcing another rookie into the line-up in the top 6.

Sure, we've created some depth in the organization, but I don't think we're where we need to be or where some people think we are. We basically have 2 rookies and a guy who has a history of injuries in our top 6 D. Your trade deal has us giving away 2 Dmen  and getting none back. Also, that 1st rd pick could be used to get a D but then we have to wait for him to develop. You are depleting our depth and another trade would likely have to be done.

We still have Sobotka/ Mitts/ TT...pretty useless line I think.

I would rather trade for a Schenn, Burakovsky, Anisimov, etc.

Simpler deal that doesn't create as many problems as it does answers.

Not just simpler, but addresses the most pressing need, 2C.  Our wings are fine.  They just need more than one center on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.