Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I agree.....but it doesn't stop the visions.

There has to be away. How does Pitt keep Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang for example. If anyone knows it might be JBot.

Because Crosby and Malkin, especially Crosby, took below market contracts last time around in order to help keep that band together.

8 minutes ago, Robviously said:

...Maybe?  I wouldn't want a rental player (because we're not contenders yet) but if we can trade for a young player that will help here immediately and still be part of the team for the future, then I'd go for it.  That said, I'd like the Sabres to keep their three 1st round picks this year.  We'll need the young, affordable talent in a few years when we're paying the core guys we have now and it'd be nice to have extra picks in a loaded draft next year.  (It's still galling we had extra picks heading into the 2015 draft and ended up with less than 1 pick per round.  Thanks again, ZFG.)

I'm also hoping by the deadline that our defensive depth is better just from Pilut, Guhle, Borgen, etc., developing.

Are we not contenders yet?? Lol, I don't know, the league turns around so quickly you just never know.. 

ya, that 2015 draft was a good one in the league, but it seems from my very quick and probably faulty analysis that most late round first round picks do not make it in NHL. 2015 saw several good ones that did, so I'm not as hopeful about the value of those picks. 

If we did trade away a first round round pick or two, I'm not even sure who or what type of player we would want to add. Jbot has some decisions to make, but the dude is really earning my trust. I like what he has done so far. 

22 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Because Crosby and Malkin, especially Crosby, took below market contracts last time around in order to help keep that band together.

Crosby signed his deal in 2013 with an $8.7M cap hit. The cap for that season was $70.2M. So he accounted for 12.4% of the cap

McDavid accounts for 15.7% (12.5/79.5)*100

Malkin signed his deal for 9.5M cap hit in 2014, when the cap was 69M. Malkin accounted for 15.7%

Edit: Massive edit because I'm hungover and can't handle simple math right now

Edited by WildCard
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

I agree.....but it doesn't stop the visions.

There has to be away. How does Pitt keep Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang for example. If anyone knows it might be JBot.

Letang and Kessel don't cost that much, all things considered. Kessel really is a steal at 6.8M.

We're going to have to pay Dahlin 9M+ I'd bet. And Skinner 8M+. And Mitts, when his time comes, around 8M+ too. Pittsburgh has been so good for so long because of the cheap, young talent they have that comes up and replaces expensive ones, and their ability to find talent other teams can't utilize and, well, perfect them (Murray for Fleury, Guentzel, turning around Schultz, replacing Perron with Hagelin, using Kessel correctly, etc.)

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It was a lot easier when cap-circumventing contracts were allowed. 

That too. Crosby's deal is 12 freaking years

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Crosby signed his deal in 2013 with an $8.7M cap hit. The cap for that season was $70.2M. So he accounted for 8.1% of the cap

McDavid accounts for 6.4% (79.5/12.5)

Malkin signed his deal for 9.5M cap hit in 2014, when the cap was 69M. Malkin accounted for 7.3%

Yeah.  Doesn't make a difference, though.  I stand by my point.  Crosby and Malkin should and could have signed for more, especially Crosby.  Crosby took less in 2013, so that Malkin could get more in 2014.

9 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Noooo, it's because for the 1st 9yrs of his contract he makes more money than his cap hit. Below market value? For the last 4yrs he's been making McDavid money and is now "falling" into Jack's range but cap hit is only 8.7M.

I'm not saying Crosby doesn't deserve what he gets but not "below" market....only the cap hit is. Malkin is getting 9.5M for 8yrs and that's what his cap hit is.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yeah.  Doesn't make a difference, though.  I stand by my point.  Crosby and Malkin should and could have signed for more, especially Crosby.  Crosby took less in 2013, so that Malkin could get more in 2014.

I edited my previous post for accurate math, but still the only reason he didn't was because like True says, the cap circumventing rules. He tacked on an extra 3 years at 3M/year at the end. Take that away and his 12 year, 104M deal becomes 9 years, 95M. And then the cap hit is 10.6M. Much different; from 12.4% to 15.1%

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Because the penguins figured out a way to pay Crosby under the table with some cutesy bullspit story about his OCD on the number 87.

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

20-60

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

God dammit Flagg, of course you knew that. ?

I honestly thought he had 30g and 70 points, what with him asking for 8M per and turning down a Pasternak deal of $40M/6 years 

Just 10 pts more then Samson for twice as much money.

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Different kind of talent, but not more talented.   Samson is subtle and actually makes his linemates better.

How much have you honestly been watching William (?), ive been watching him since youth.
I dont disagree with sammy on making his linemates better but it also has to do with what linemates you have, i believe most experts value William higher than Sammy. 

22 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So will we actually be buyers at the trade deadline? If we keep playing this way I could see us adding something, even if only for defensive depth, but who knows what's available. 

I could see them targeting a mid-roster center later in the year, someone who can fill in that 2nd/3rd line role.  Who might be available at that point, I don't have the slightest clue.

6 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

In the end i guess the points matter the most, but imo William has more talant than Sammy.

maybe, but why pay $8 mill for 60 pts when you can pay $3.7 for 50 and have $4.3 for goaltending, D and/or more depth at forward.  Cap management is crucial to success and the Leafs are showing great restraint in not giving into Nylander's contract demands.  Whether this is the right or wrong decision long-term, IDK, but they seem to be doing OK without him and it frees up cap long-term to shore up their lousy D.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I could see them targeting a mid-roster center later in the year, someone who can fill in that 2nd/3rd line role.  Who might be available at that point, I don't have the slightest clue.

Kevin Hayes comes to mind. 

However I'm not at the point where I want the Sabres to trade a 1st Round Pick at the deadline as of yet.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Kevin Hayes comes to mind. 

However I'm not at the point where I want the Sabres to trade a 1st Round Pick at the deadline as of yet.

I’ve been thinking about this also. If this team is in a or near a playoff spot by the deadline does Jbot make a move to shore up the team?  Honestly I hope not. Strange to say, but at this point I want the team to grow from within.  

We have 2 extra 1st rd picks in 2019 (or 2020) plus we have a bunch of guys like Asplund, Guhle, Pilut, Olofsson and Smith banging on the door from below. I like our depth and don’t want to send it away for a short-term fix. Also with 6 RFA/UFA forwards, 2 RFA D and RFA G Ullmark (we also have 5 UFAs and 3 RFAs in 2020) we might need that depth next season or the season after and the draft picks to replenish it.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

If they're truly big on the whole culture thing, getting some of these young guys a taste of playoff hockey could be huge.  It would go a long way towards washing away any lingering effects of years of losing hockey.  They could very well find a decent piece to add to the team that wouldn't cost a 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

There are only 2 spots that I want Botterill to fill this season (barring something wild fallinginto his lap).

The 1st, & far more important, a 2C that can also slot to a 3C after Mittelstadt matures into the LT 2C.  And remember, Asplund & Davidsson are on their way relatively soon, and I expect at least 1 of the 2 to be able to be a bottom 6 C, so ideally this is filling a hole now & restocking depth tomorrow.

IF the right deal is there bring in another 2nd pairing D, ideally RH, but LH works almost as well as Dahlin will likely play the right side in the future & McCabe can play off wing as well (+, can't Pilut also go offhand?).

• Like (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, shrader said:

If they're truly big on the whole culture thing, getting some of these young guys a taste of playoff hockey could be huge.  It would go a long way towards washing away any lingering effects of years of losing hockey.  They could very well find a decent piece to add to the team that wouldn't cost a 1st.

I can’t think of a better “grow from within” opportunity than a round of playoffs.  If a 2C better assured that growth opportunity, then I think it is worth one of those 1st rd picks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.