Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If we do that, we need to send out another 3/4th line player in return. We just can't keep loading up on bottom 6 guys. We need top 6. 

Top six guys are hard to get and very costly. We don't have the ammo to obtain one without trading what most here don't want to trade. That's why the ROR trade looks bad. Of course,there again, makes the Skinner deal look good. So there are exceptional cases but generally those trades are few and far between. 

Edited by Radar

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I'm intrigued. Younger/future Berglund if nothing else

He doesn't excite me.  Hes been in the league for basically 5 full years...hes 24 years old (basically, he is who he is, not much development left) and he has proven to be a guy you can pretty much expect 6-10 goals out of per year.

By the same point in Berglund's career he was pretty much a 20 goal scorer year in and year out...and in an NHL where less goals were being scored overall at that.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

He doesn't excite me.  Hes been in the league for basically 5 full years...hes 24 years old (basically, he is who he is, not much development left) and he has proven to be a guy you can pretty much expect 6-10 goals out of per year.

By the same point in Berglund's career he was pretty much a 20 goal scorer year in and year out...and in an NHL where less goals were being scored overall at that.

Yes, but I am wondering if he's looking for a center with some quickness and hands for Olofsson and/or Nylander. Wennberg is Swedish afterall.

5 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

If this team was playoff bound, I also have no problem. With experience on the downward part, but this team isnt playoff bound this year. Unless they get someone with term or whom they can resign, sit out the deadline shopping and just sell off some parts to real contenders......

Experience is a valuable asset for teaching in the regular season too.  I might argue that you need the experience to get to the point where you can bring up playoffs in the conversation, so waiting for when you are a contender to bring in experience means you are always going to be waiting.

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If we do that, we need to send out another 3/4th line player in return. We just can't keep loading up on bottom 6 guys. We need top 6. 

Sure.  Let's do that too.  We have plenty of bottom 6 guys who never knew or never experienced winning in the NHL.  I'm good with swapping them out to make it happen.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Experience is a valuable asset for teaching in the regular season too.  I might argue that you need the experience to get to the point where you can bring up playoffs in the conversation, so waiting for when you are a contender to bring in experience means you are always going to be waiting.

Sure.  Let's do that too.  We have plenty of bottom 6 guys who never knew or never experienced winning in the NHL.  I'm good with swapping them out to make it happen.

I dont disagree about experience, but that's now an offseason move, not for a rental this late in the season.

9 hours ago, Samson's Flow said:

I appreciate your dedication to the veteran mentor conversation. I still don't know if that is truly what ails the Sabres, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement here.  I believe that good veteran mentoring is one of the major things missing from the Sabre roster.  Pominville is not enough.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I respectfully disagree with your disagreement here.  I believe that good veteran mentoring is one of the major things missing from the Sabre roster.  Pominville is not enough.

Agreed. Always good to have a positive role model. Good habits and work ethic inspire some and shame others. Sabres need both.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I’ve been saying this team needs a veteran leader who is actually capable on the ice for about two years now but every time I suggest somebody I get the whole “his age doesn’t fit this team’s timeline” thing. I’ve raged against that because literally zero percent of good teams in the history of this game have had a roster made up entirely of players on the same development timeline.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I’ve been saying this team needs a veteran leader who is actually capable on the ice for about two years now but every time I suggest somebody I get the whole “his age doesn’t fit this team’s timeline” thing. I’ve raged against that because literally zero percent of good teams in the history of this game have had a roster made up entirely of players on the same development timeline.

I've been in this same boat for a while.  Okposo should have been that guy, but his play went off a cliff.  I was always on him for being overrated, but the exact thing this team needs right now is the Chris Drury type.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Here's my issue, it is about just getting a good veteran player. It is about getting the right one who is good enough on the ice that he can tell everyone off the ice to get their s#1t in order. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Have we not had veterans on the roster over the past decade?  

not anyone good who can take the bull by the horns. No office to Pommers but he may be decent but he isn't an in your face leader and they need an in your face, no bs, consequences if you step out of line, leader. 

42 minutes ago, ... said:

Have we not had veterans on the roster over the past decade?  

Not enough at any one point in time IMO.

You can’t sprinkle one or two in because their contribution gets lost in the noise (Brian Gionta for example).  You need a veteran group.

You're all missing the point where Hoss said the vet needs to be "actually capable on the ice".  You need more than just a voice.  It needs to be a voice who can actually contribute.  A name like Justin Williams is what comes to mind, granted this team would need someone a bit younger.  But yeah, someone like that when he was 32-34 years old.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.