Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

Elliot Friedman on the Winnipeg Jets......

Winnipeg deflected requests for Adam Lowry and Jack Roslovic in its search for improvement. Nick Kypreos reported last Saturday the asks may spread to Sami Niku just returned to the AHL Manitoba. But one player the jets will move - providing it makes sense for him and the team - is Nic Pelan. Limited to 13 games. It is time for a fresh start.

Looked at some video's of this kid. Any interest?

Interest sure. As always, it's about the cost.

Petan has some skill and hasn't had a real chance in Winnipeg. But he has a better chance of being a tweener than another Conor Sheary.

Also, how many Rodrigues, Smith, Sheary, O'Regan types do we want in the organization?

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo Sabres

Deadline Cap Space: $14,935,860

Potential Free Agents:

UFAs: Forward: Jeff Skinner, Jason Pominville, Matt Moulson

RFAs: Forward: Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, C.J. Smith, Evan Rodrigues; Defense: Nathan Beaulieu, Jake McCabe; Goalies: Linus Ullmark

The Sabres’ wish list really depends on whether the Sabres are in win mode now or keep your powder dry mode. As constructed, the lineup is too top heavy and probably not good enough defensively to realistically make the playoffs this season, so GM Jason Botterill would need to add some scoring depth. Big picture, does he need to make a move to further solidify Jeff Skinner’s attachment to the team? If he’s not buying, does Botterill need to contemplate dealing Skinner, who would among the most coveted rental players, and hope to sign him in the offseason? In a perfect world the Sabres find their way back to another inspiring win streak like their 10-game stretch early in the season and make the playoffs without having to spend assets. But as anyone who’s followed the Sabres for any length of time knows, it’s not a perfect world. 

From Scott Burnside: https://theathletic.com/814404/2019/02/13/nhl-trade-deadline-what-to-expect-from-all-31-teams/

Also from the Athletic:  Regarding trading 1st rd picks at the deadline and how infrequently they move the needle for either team.

https://theathletic.com/810736/2019/02/13/historical-look-at-deadline-deals-involving-first-round-picks-and-how-infrequently-they-move-the-needle/

From Jbot’s perspective there is no reason to trade Scandella now because he remains under control and he’ll likely be able to trade him for similar or better assets over the summer.  

On the other hand I’d trade Baloo now.  I doubt Jbot wants to qualify him at 2.4.  Better to trade him now then move on from him for nothing in the summer.  That said there may be little or no market for Baloo considering his PT.

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

From Jbot’s perspective there is no reason to trade Scandella now because he remains under control and he’ll likely be able to trade him for similar or better assets over the summer.  

On the other hand I’d trade Baloo now.  I doubt Jbot wants to qualify him at 2.4.  Better to trade him now then move on from him for nothing in the summer.  That said there may be little or no market for Baloo considering his PT.

I wouldn’t put it past Botts to have such a poor perspective... but let’s break this down:

1. Botts has stated he won’t be trading futures for rentals

2. Botts has stated how much he values getting the young core playoff experience

first conclusion: Botts will look to make a “hockey trade”... that’s a player for player type deal.

1. What’s the deepest NHL position on the current Sabre’s roster? LD

2. Who are the top LDs on the team with a long term or potential long term value to the Sabres? Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe (age/RFA). You could even debate adding Beaulieu to this list given his age and RFA status.

second conclusion: the most expendable/tradeable asset is 1 of Scandella, Hunwick, and Beaulieu

1. Beaulieu has been a scratch level #6-8 defensemen for the last 2 years. He’s trade value is minimal, and certainly not something that would help with a playoff push

2. Hunwick was a cap dump level player, who could maybe pull a late round pick as a team could value the depth... but he certainly doesn’t have the value to return an asset that would help with a playoff push

3. Scandella, through all his flaws this year, is still an under 30 year old defensemen, who has played top 4 pair minutes for most of his career, and has an additional year of below market value cost control.

final conclusion: Scandella is the best asset we have to improve our playoff chances this year, without sacrificing a piece of the future.

31 minutes ago, jame said:

I wouldn’t put it past Botts to have such a poor perspective... but let’s break this down:

1. Botts has stated he won’t be trading futures for rentals

2. Botts has stated how much he values getting the young core playoff experience

first conclusion: Botts will look to make a “hockey trade”... that’s a player for player type deal.

1. What’s the deepest NHL position on the current Sabre’s roster? LD

2. Who are the top LDs on the team with a long term or potential long term value to the Sabres? Dahlin, Pilut, McCabe (age/RFA). You could even debate adding Beaulieu to this list given his age and RFA status.

second conclusion: the most expendable/tradeable asset is 1 of Scandella, Hunwick, and Beaulieu

1. Beaulieu has been a scratch level #6-8 defensemen for the last 2 years. He’s trade value is minimal, and certainly not something that would help with a playoff push

2. Hunwick was a cap dump level player, who could maybe pull a late round pick as a team could value the depth... but he certainly doesn’t have the value to return an asset that would help with a playoff push

3. Scandella, through all his flaws this year, is still an under 30 year old defensemen, who has played top 4 pair minutes for most of his career, and has an additional year of below market value cost control.

final conclusion: Scandella is the best asset we have to improve our playoff chances this year, without sacrificing a piece of the future.

Scandella's value is low at this time, to the bolded, we have until next deadline to move him, with a potentially better team around him next season, why would not trading him now, at a low value point, be worth more than a year from now, where his value most likely would raise?

There is a long game to be played here, I know you know this. Beyond the "satisfy me now" scenario's.

19 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Scandella's value is low at this time, to the bolded, we have until next deadline to move him, with a potentially better team around him next season, why would not trading him now, at a low value point, be worth more than a year from now, where his value most likely would raise?

There is a long game to be played here, I know you know this. Beyond the "satisfy me now" scenario's.

Player values don’t shift as much as perceived... most GMs / scouts rely on their work and profiles they’ve built.

right now, teams value short term... more than 20+ game rentals. Scandella absolutely has more trade value right now... than next deadline when his value at absolute max would be a 2nd rounder (rental cost standards exist).

right now, we could conceivably get a decent forward with an extra year or two (ideally center capable), for Scandella

but I am curious... if there was a 28 year old forward, with center capability, never scored more than 35 points in a season, and signed for 1 more year at the same cost as Scandella (or less)... would you make a straight up hockey trade of Scandella for a hypothetical player X ?

our d group for this year and next year, would be:

Dahlin-Bogo

Pilut-Risto

Mccabe-Beaulieu/Hunwick/Nelson/Guhle

Edited by jame

11 minutes ago, jame said:

Player values don’t shift as much as perceived... most GMs / scouts rely on their work and profiles they’ve built.

right now, teams value short term... more than 20+ game rentals. Scandella absolutely has more trade value right now... than next deadline when his value at absolute max would be a 2nd rounder (rental cost standards exist).

right now, we could conceivably get a decent forward with an extra year or two (ideally center capable), for Scandella

but I am curious... if there was a 28 year old forward, with center capability, never scored more than 35 points in a season, and signed for 1 more year at the same cost as Scandella (or less)... would you make a straight up hockey trade of Scandella for a hypothetical player X ?

Dahlin-Bogo

Pilut-Risto

I would consider any opportunity to add veteran center depth that has some offensive upside.  Even if Mittelstadt improves next year, I still worry about our center depth and how vulnerable we become when injuries happen at the C position.  Losing Scandella may be addition by subtraction.

Didn't feel the need for a new thread for the approaching trade dead line, but, I do not believe Botterill does much at all. Maybe move one player, defense, Beaulieu. An outside chance, and very outside, that he moves a forward. I don't believe Sobotka is going anywhere honestly. Same with Okposo.

Larsson may be sought after by other teams, but I wouldn't trade him.

Defensively, the LHD position is a big log jam, and this is where my question mark lay. Scandella? I think so honestly. A team looking for depth may concede a late 1st or prospect for him. Putting aside his bad season this year, he's still a very serviceable 3/4 LD with a years term at a reasonable price. I see him as the one to be moved if at all.

1 hour ago, jame said:

Dahlin-Bogo

Pilut-Risto

Thank you.

Outlier seasons during a contract year might result in contract value spikes or dips, but not trade value so much.

Most GMs aren't going to sell low or buy high based on what a player has done over the past 40 games.

Scandella is mid-career, middle-pairing NHL defenceman who you don't have to hide against speed or size with a year left on his contract. That will net a 2nd round pick or a middle six forward from a team looking for such a player, whether he is having a season like this year or a season like last.

Edited by dudacek

@jame and @dudacek

Here is the problem.  While Scandella is likely worth a 2nd rd pick, as Jame said Jbot is looking at a hockey trade.  However he has said he is looking for more then a hockey trade.  He is looking for a piece he can keep long-term.  That is going to take much more then Scandella.  Seriously who is trading a 2nd line C or a 2nd pairing RHD with control to get Scandella this deadline?  The answer is no one.  Could Jbot package a 2nd rd pick and other assets to get what he wants sure, but that type of deal is much much more likely to be executed over the summer not at the trade deadline. 

I'm not going to say it's not possible, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Maybe Washington would be willing to take on Beaulieu as a 5/6 defenseman.  They are currently playing Orpik and Djoos as their third pair.  

Could Sabres package Beaulieu and 2021 2nd rd pick for Burakovsky?  Both players on similar contracts, close in age, RFA's and not performing up to standards for their current team.

Would be a hockey trade to help both teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.