Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

For perspective, we as a board are all fairly comfortable offering Skinner somewhere in the $7-$8 million per year deal as a UFA right now, and expect Reinhart to get a similar deal when he finishes his bridge.

Jonathan Huberdeau, with a cap friendly deal ($5.9 cap hit for 4 more years), has similar point totals (52 pts in 54 gms) to both Skinner (50) and Reinhart (49), and would be a major discount in terms of cap hit v. market value. Sign me up for a top two lines of Jack & Jeff and Jon & Sam long term.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Samson's Flow said:

For perspective, we as a board are all fairly comfortable offering Skinner somewhere in the $7-$8 million per year deal as a UFA right now, and expect Reinhart to get a similar deal when he finishes his bridge.

Jonathan Huberdeau, with a cap friendly deal ($5.9 cap hit for 4 more years), has similar point totals (52 pts in 54 gms) to both Skinner (50) and Reinhart (49), and would be a major discount in terms of cap hit v. market value. Sign me up for a top two lines of Jack & Jeff and Jon & Sam long term.

It'd be a coup if Botts were to do it and it's very doable.

We also have the picks and prospects that might get FLA on board.

38 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It'd be a coup if Botts were to do it and it's very doable.

We also have the picks and prospects that might get FLA on board.

Agreed. I am prepared if this were to happen for it to sting a bit in terms of prospects that we like, but opportunities for this level of player/contract don't come around often.

17 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Dale Tallon is a bad GM. 

Haha yes there is this. Maybe all it takes is Okposo, Beaulieu and a 2nd ?

55 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What would it take, at least a package of a First, Nylander, Guhle, Asplund or Olfosson? 

Probably something close to that.  Doesn't look like they have any short term bad contracts the Sabres could take on to lessen the price moving out unfortunately.

Botterill had better be making a push for this.  More likely to get moved than Coutourier.  Doesn't fix the 2C problem but makes the LW pretty much completely set: Skinner, Huberdeau, Sheary, Girgensons basically totally remakes that spot with guys like Smith in the wings.  Andin 2 years when Mittelstadtis ready for 2C duty they have Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, Huberdeau, & Mittelstadt in the top 6.  With Rodrigues, Olaffson (should he not be part of the package to FLA), Thompson, surprisingly quickly developing rookie, or FA/trade piece as the last piece there.  

Third scoring line could still be a mess, but with that ahead of it, that should be good enough at worst.

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting report here from Frank, who as usually knows more than he's letting on. If FLA trades Huberdeau and his $5.9M AAV, I think they do it knowing that the SB/AP two-fer is a done deal. They're going to add north of $16M on just those two players. Gotta send some $ out.

Of course you have to think that there is a considerable number of teams that would be knocking on Panthers door for Huberdeau.  Could be a bidding war... 

That said... I think he fits.  I'm not 100% sold on him, but I know he's a roster upgrade.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Dale Tallon is a bad GM. 

It would be hilarious to watch him land both of those guys and then immediately lose both to free agency.  I'd imagine the deal would have to be contingent on them accepting extensions, but it all seems so odd right now.  And Huberdeau needs to be moved in order to make room, you'd have to imagine Columbus would show some interest.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You'd be looking at SJS 1st, a high end prospect (Nylander, Olofsson, Guhle), a rostered player and maybe a sweetner. I would not mind Huberdeu on the team and if we can give him without sacrificing the future, I would. 

Would you give up one of first for him, or someone of similar age/stature/contract?

34 minutes ago, shrader said:

It would be hilarious to watch him land both of those guys and then immediately lose both to free agency.  I'd imagine the deal would have to be contingent on them accepting extensions, but it all seems so odd right now.  And Huberdeau needs to be moved in order to make room, you'd have to imagine Columbus would show some interest.

I don't think there's any way to guarantee that, or write it into the trade language, is there? Unless the extension is signed before the trade happens?

You could make draft picks conditional, but that's a risk for both teams, because a player and an agent can always change their mind when the extension is actually offered post-trade, right?

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

Jonathan Huberdeau, with a cap friendly deal ($5.9 cap hit for 4 more years) is reportedly available. He is the kind of guy I want!

Panarin, Bob and Marketting hockey in a non-traditional market.

Unfortunately, I don’t think JBOT has what it takes to pull this off.

Asset wise, or aptitude?

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Probably something close to that.  Doesn't look like they have any short term bad contracts the Sabres could take on to lessen the price moving out unfortunately.

Botterill had better be making a push for this.  More likely to get moved than Coutourier.  Doesn't fix the 2C problem but makes the LW pretty much completely set: Skinner, Huberdeau, Sheary, Girgensons basically totally remakes that spot with guys like Smith in the wings.  Andin 2 years when Mittelstadtis ready for 2C duty they have Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, Huberdeau, & Mittelstadt in the top 6.  With Rodrigues, Olaffson (should he not be part of the package to FLA), Thompson, surprisingly quickly developing rookie, or FA/trade piece as the last piece there.  

Third scoring line could still be a mess, but with that ahead of it, that should be good enough at worst.

I'd be ecstatic to bring in Huberdeau, with the only caveat being I wouldn't want it to prevent Botterill from being able to bring in a 2C this offseason or before, which I think is the more important add.

But with the talent of Huberdeau, it may lower the talent/production bar that the 2C Botterill may be looking to acquire needs to reach. I.e. - If we give up assets for Huberdeau, we likely have to give up less to get a viable 2C. Especially with that 2C likely being the 3C, depending on Casey, sooner or later. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Asset wise, or aptitude?

I'd be ecstatic to bring in Huberdeau, with the only caveat being I wouldn't want it to prevent Botterill from being able to bring in a 2C this offseason or before, which I think is the more important add.

But with the talent of Huberdeau, it may lower the talent/production bar that the 2C Botterill may be looking to acquire needs to reach. I.e. - If we give up assets for Huberdeau, we likely have to give up less to get a viable 2C. Especially with that 2C likely being the 3C, depending on Casey, sooner or later. 

I think if you have a 2nd line of Huberdeau - ____ - Reinhart, 2C suddenly is not as critical as we feel now. Just depends on JBott's & Housley's philosophy, and if they would want to build a line like that.

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I think if you have a 2nd line of Huberdeau - ____ - Reinhart, 2C suddenly is not as critical as we feel now. Just depends on JBott's & Housley's philosophy, and if they would want to build a line like that.

Honestly, if even:

Skinner - Eichel - Whoever

Huberdeau - Mittelstadt - Reinhart 

...isn't a playoffs-achieving top-6, I'd be fairly surprised. 

If we can add that 2C and bump Casey down for a time, if we didn't make the playoffs I'd be at a loss. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Honestly, if even:

Skinner - Eichel - Whoever

Huberdeau - Mittelstadt - Reinhart 

...isn't a playoffs-achieving top-6, I'd be fairly surprised. 

If we can add that 2C and bump Casey down for a time, if we didn't make the playoffs I'd be at a loss. 

put Sheary Mitts and Sam together move Huberdeau up. Mitts playing a lot better lately, move guys up from the A next year for third line.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

If Columbus could get Huberdeau for Panarin, that would be a coup. I can't imagine they'd get a better asset from another team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.