Trade Speculation and Rumors 2018-19

Brawndo

https://theathletic.com/794661/2019/02/02/794661/

Vogl does a good job of reviewing our roster and showing from where we can trade players to fix roster holes.  He focuses on LHD - guys like Scandella, Baloo and even McCabe.  McCabe would obviously get us the most return. 

He thinks that Dahlin and Pilut are the 1 & 2 LHD long-term and thereby making the other LHD tradeable.  I agree.  My preference is Scandella and Baloo, but if they trade McCabe, it just may be the opening Guhle or Baloo need to establish themselves.  I like McCabe and think he fits well here.  I also like that he can play up or down depending on injuries .

Vogl thinks we need a center (obviously), but less obviously he thinks are wingers outside Skinner and Sam are inadequate but that the right side is a disaster, especially if Tage and Nylander play their more natural LW.  

I somewhat disagree on the wing issue.  I like what ERod and Sheary can bring with the right center.  I also want to see what Smith and Olofsson can do in the NHL if given a legit chance.  Sure I’d like to see more scoring from our wingers, but most wingers feed off their center.  Until our centers are properly aligned we don’t have a full picture of what our wingers can do. I also think are core winger group of Tage, Skinner, Sam, ERod, Sheary, plus one of Smith, Olofsson or Nylander is a good start. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Also I have no idea how the Sabres would make a Jamie Benn trade happen. Where do you even come up with the cap space right now? I know Pommers comes off this summer, but right now? Plus you gotta sign Skinner.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Dallas moving him wouldn't be surprising. Us getting him would be. Seems more like an off-season deal in any case 

Agreed. You'd have to make that move after the season when you have more cap.

Benn appears to be following a scary league-wide pattern of power forwards dying at 30 with big money on their contracts.

I do buy the idea that he is available, however, and would consider it if the price was right, but Okposo would definitely need to go in the other direction.

One reason why is our increasing propensity for getting physically dominated. Teams can carry a couple Piluts and ERods but we have too many, and too few Bogosians.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Benn appears to be following a scary league-wide pattern of power forwards dying at 30 with big money on their contracts.

I do buy the idea that he is available, however, and would consider it if the price was right, but Okposo would definitely need to go in the other direction.

One reason why is our increasing propensity for getting physically dominated. Teams can carry a couple Piluts and ERods but we have too many, and too few Bogosians.

probably happens to 8.5 out of 10 players when they hit 29/30. Adding guys with contracts until 35 that are already starting to show some signs of decline is dangerous. It is how you end up with Scandella. Or Okposo. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

If we were in a playoff spot, getting physically dominated would be my #1 concern.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why not just trade for Ferlund then? Less risk but you add that physical element you are concerned with. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Why not just trade for Ferlund then? Less risk but you add that physical element you are concerned with. 

I think Benn is a better player and a better fit for our roster.

We are not getting rid of Okposo in a Ferland trade and Ferlund is about to be massively overpaid.

But it all really comes down to what we have to give up, including cap space..

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think Benn is a better player and a better fit for our roster.

We are not getting rid of Okposo in a Ferland trade and Ferlund is about to be massively overpaid.

But it all really comes down to what we have to give up, including cap space..

If you can get Benn for a 1st, Okposo, and Mittelstadt, would you do it?

10 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If you can get Benn for a 1st, Okposo, and Mittelstadt, would you do it?

Absolutely not. Benn is a short-term core piece with a huge contract who has gotten emotionally fat.

Three years from now, Mittelstadt will be a better player and he remains an A-level prospect.

it would have to be a lesser piece to interest me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.